Spartans Home

Sniper Duel - The Hurt Locker

IDAN

Yeah I thought it was a great duel on the sniping side of things, but some of facts of the story are strange. For instance, I doubt a couple of EOD technicians know how to properly deply a Barrett. They do sometimes use them to blow up bombs from safe distances, but I always thought they hired that out to regular snipers. And, wouldn't the two SAS soldiers down below them be better prepared to use it? Which is strange also, because they look like they have no idea what's going on, or are too scared to do anything. Bad reflection of British soldiers. And the EOD guys wouldn't just be travelling by themselves through the countryside. Even at the start of the war, it was mandatory for units to have minimum 2 vehicles, which quickly went to 3. Who knows what it's up to now.

I did like the sniper duel though, minus those comments above. I thought it showed how much patience these guys gotta have. I really liked that movie, and if no one has seen it yet, they're missing out.

As I was watching that clip, I was also questioning a couple EOD guys knowledge of a sniper/spotter team. However, as I browsed the user comments, someone stated that they used to be in an SF unit, so its more probable that they could have received that training. But I haven't seen the whole movie, so I don't know any of the back story.

- JHunter

I agree that the movie is really good even if a fair amount of it is unrealistic. Most of the stuff that I picked out can be attributed to toning realism down because of the budget and for the script to focus on what is important for the story. I will give them that creative space and chuck the little stuff out the window.

Again, it is well worth the watch.

We are so lacking a decent Band of Brothers modern series...

It'll come out soon enough, once the dust settles in a couple years and hollywood realizes their current crop of war movies sucked because they couldn't keep politics out of it. The Hurt Locker showed them the way, so maybe they'll get around to making that movie about Falluja. An adaptation of "House to House" would be perfect, although I'm sure the Marines would get pissed since they're not mentioned. :)

Have you seen Generation Kill?

http://www.hbo.com/generation-kill/index.html

yes I did see it. I just feel we know so little of the iraq war. For example, I like to read up on history about the great battles in WW2 such D-Day, OP Market Garden, Battle of the bulge, battle for bastogne, and I feel that in this war (iraq), we foreigners know soo little of the war, if there were many battles. At least all we get in brasil is, "Car bomb goes off and kills 23 American soldiers killed. (and it shows the devastation)"

Idk, things changed too much. I saw Generation Kill, like i dll the whole thing and watched it in one day. I enjoyed it, but I thing its no match for band of brothers.

It'll come out soon enough, once the dust settles in a couple years and hollywood realizes their current crop of war movies sucked because they couldn't keep politics out of it. The Hurt Locker showed them the way, so maybe they'll get around to making that movie about Falluja. An adaptation of "House to House" would be perfect, although I'm sure the Marines would get pissed since they're not mentioned. :)

durka, is this book good? Is it worth buying??

good movie took a while for it to get started but the hurtt locker had so great moments like when they were doing what they do best

Interesting note, you guys saw in the movie where they difused one IED, then called it a day. Most EOD guys used to go out and get 15-20 before breakfast. Crazy job.

durka, is this book good? Is it worth buying??

My sister gave me "The Good Soldiers" for Christmas and it's a very good book. If you have a minute read the reviews at the bottom of my link. It includes some photographs, about every twenty to thirty pages, of the actual people or areas...makes it even more moving.

Band of Brothers is making a new series, it's called "The Pacific" and is due out next month. Production:

The Pacific is being produced by Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and Gary Goetzman in association with HBO Films, Playtone, Dreamworks, and Seven Network.

It focuses on Marines this time, rather than the Army, so don't expect any of the same people back.

P.S. I loved the Hurt Locker, and have it on my iTouch, same thing with Black Hawk Down. Both excellent movies, but as mentioned, The Hurt Locker does have a few "mistakes" in it. (I also have the book Black Hawk Down and read it before I ever saw the movie, a must read book as well. It will really make you appreciate the movie that much more.)

Hey Durka

Thanks for the advice about the book. I downloaded it from iTunes for my iPod and have been really enjoying it while I travel for work.

Its a GREAT Book and the guy doing the reading really does a fantastic job.

This really helps you appreciate how combat really is.

Thanks Again

Cool

Thanks

Yeah, David Bellavia is a really great guy. One may not like his politics, but he's pretty funny at times, and has his own blog out now.