Spartans Home

Changing Icons

Hey all. I just got a new 500gb harddrive and, being the visual based person that I am, it's hard to find the frickin thing when I'm downloading my photos to it. I'm looking and I see the basic icon for drive C, and I have a little graphic for my other external drive, but my new internal harddrive is just a basic drive icon for everything else. Anyone out there know how to change it up and put something a little more colorful in its place? (I'm not saing "colorful" as in a fluffy pink pillow icon, just something to direct my attention for that split second to it.)

Changing the icon is a head screw, but you wont be able to give several drives all different icons.

It don't work like a folder and changing an icon does.

The best thing i can suggest is label it accordingly and give the slave a unique drive letter, Thats the best thing i can suggest and easiest for you.

Do you wish to access that drive with just one click from a desktop/quick launch icon ? If so grab me in ts n i'll walk you through it how to get it a happening.

Hey all. I just got a new 500gb harddrive and, being the visual based person that I am, it's hard to find the frickin thing when I'm downloading my photos to it. I'm looking and I see the basic icon for drive C, and I have a little graphic for my other external drive, but my new internal harddrive is just a basic drive icon for everything else. Anyone out there know how to change it up and put something a little more colorful in its place? (I'm not saing "colorful" as in a fluffy pink pillow icon, just something to direct my attention for that split second to it.)

Which OS are you running ?

Windows XP SP2 PRO or Vista 32 ?

THE ANSWERS

for folders & drives

http://forum.crystalxp.net/lofiversion/index.php?t15778.html

http://pcwin.com/Audio/Change_Folder_Icons/screen.htm

Drive specific

http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/icn_drv.html

Basically

Using an .inf file

Simply create a new textfile in the root of your drive, typing this text:

[AUTORUN]

Icon="(path)\(name)"

then rename the file to autorun.inf.

You might put the icon in the root of the drive too, and give both the icon and inf-file the attribute 'hidden'; less easy to mess up stuff ;).

Am I being thick here but why dont you put your photos in "My Pictures" top right of "start" panel

They will be in C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\My Documents\My Pictures

Then you can organise by job, date or whatever you want, but you get to them quick by clicking on My Pictures off the "Start" button.

Just a thought.

Some people have way too many photos to leave on their system drive. I have a separate drive for photos, then another 500 gig for music, then another for XVIDs and other film formats, and one more for downloads.

All in all I have 5 external drives most 320gig or better and two internal drives.

Everything has their own use.

Pretty much what Medic said. My photos are the same as regular documents that any other business would have, they just happen to be photos, and biiig. Many more than 100mb, so I gotta save them to the extra drive. It's not a really big problem, just an inconvenience when I gotta look for more than a second to find the drive when I'm using the "save as" command. The problem is not accessing them, it's when I go to save them.

Most of my organizational skills in my office have to do with some sort of color or graphic system so I can reach them faster. I'm gonna try Viiiper's suggestion and see if I can get it to work, thanks Viiip.

And daaamn Medic! I thought I had a lot of harddrive space!