Spartans Home

Large scale coop/MP user missions

Ebden~SPARTA~

Hopefully without causing a stir, this thread will field interest for some of the user generated missions available, focusing on larger scale battles.

I've read descriptions of some excellent user missions of all sizes here and on the OFPEC and BI forums. Tac mission night, if I'm correct, is specific to squad-level engagement. Domination brings in most of ARMA2's other toys, but the way Sparta likes is to keep heavy guns for support. Given how Dom has played out, limiting armor/air support has been an excellent organizational choice for the servers, both during pub and Tac dom nights.

Taking Idan's hint, this is a search for something in-between. The additional avenue a few of us have considered is a mission-scale tactical full assault (or defense), taking advantage of all ARMA2 has to offer. I might best describe it as a Domination primary objective, but scaled down to only one objective (or one with secondary related objectives), and scaled up to a battle requiring coordinated use of artillery, armor, and/or air support for success. From what I've read here, the in-game scale may be along the lines of a company or batallion, with enemy forces totalling 250-500 (or whatever we decide our computers can handle).

I'm open to experiment with what's available, including AI and human players on one or both sides, human players using high command features to control other Human and AI squads, humans in control of one platoon among many in a large battle, all in the spirit of big-boom fun.

I haven't tested any missions from my home computer in coop yet, but from a previous thread I may only be able to host a very small handful of people before my internet connection weeps for mercy.

I'll have a look through some other forums for missions, and please post missions you've already found.

I'm speed-skimming the BI forums at lunch, poking for anything that seems of this sort. I don't know the full scale or loadouts (or if a couple of them are SP/MP)

King Nothing's Heroes of Chernarus

Captain Bravo's Operation Chaos-A Large Scale Mission

Shark-Attack's Eve of Destruction

Sardukar17's Platoon -dedi server only.

Smoov's Operation Redfangv2

Vanha-WASP's Under Fire --Requires CAA1

Qwertt's War-3-Front

W0lle's Operation Lojack III, converted from VBS1

]Ntruder's Operation Firefly

Trenchfoot's Operation Foothold

Edited by Ebden

I would definitely like to try something in the large combat scale. I.e. one Major town/area offensive in which a single M119 or A-10 do not tip the balance of the attack... If someone can find a tried/true map that provides this, bring it forward and we can get it loaded on a server for a try.

I would definitely like to try something in the large combat scale. I.e. one Major town/area offensive in which a single M119 or A-10 do not tip the balance of the attack... If someone can find a tried/true map that provides this, bring it forward and we can get it loaded on a server for a try.

Captain Bravo's Operation Chaos may be the best bet, but it is limited to I think only a half-dozen human players. According to the BI Forums, this mission requires one human XO to direct squads and activate AI bits and bobs, then any other players probably must run as SLs. The first post from Cpt.Bravo says the player has no direct control over an F35 and an Apache squadron, but I don't know if those are the only air assets available. Two addons are included with the file, and the maker suggests Vop2.1 in addition.

If I have time this evening I'll get the file and attempt to host the mission. I don't know how many can join, but with 800AI it'll be as good a test as any if my system can handle the job! The p/w will be the same as for Sparta's UK server.

Edit: I can get it running hosted online. The helo addon doesn't seem to work, but others appear to have a similar issue according to the BI forum. This particular map can manage 70 humans. I don't trust my web connection for more than 8.

I won't be on tomorrow, and I don't want to overlap any Sparta Tactical missions (Friday?), otherwise pull me aside in TS if you fancy an epic-ish mission (any of those listed here, or other missions people find on the biggish side of things).

Edited by Ebden

Captain Bravo's Operation Chaos may be the best bet, but it is limited to I think only a half-dozen human players. According to the BI Forums, this mission requires one human XO to direct squads and activate AI bits and bobs, then any other players probably must run as SLs. The first post from Cpt.Bravo says the player has no direct control over an F35 and an Apache squadron, but I don't know if those are the only air assets available. Two addons are included with the file, and the maker suggests Vop2.1 in addition.

If I have time this evening I'll get the file and attempt to host the mission. I don't know how many can join, but with 800AI it'll be as good a test as any if my system can handle the job! The p/w will be the same as for Sparta's UK server.

Edit: I can get it running hosted online. The helo addon doesn't seem to work, but others appear to have a similar issue according to the BI forum. This particular map can manage 70 humans. I don't trust my web connection for more than 8.

I won't be on tomorrow, and I don't want to overlap any Sparta Tactical missions (Friday?), otherwise pull me aside in TS if you fancy an epic-ish mission (any of those listed here, or other missions people find on the biggish side of things).

count me in if you'll manage to host

you can count me in just let me know. It sounds like a good idea to me just hope peoples computers could handle the large scale....

I've given OpChaos a little more thought. The mission has plenty of slots to put players into tanks or on the ground (maybe other armor). I don't know if other human players have to take command positions, but someone has to be XO, use High Command, to get other AI moving. It may have to be the host, that seems to be the trend for other missions w/HC.

It might be a good immersion step if other players don't have to command, but only need to assist in tanks or AAVs. It might work b/c High Command tells the AI SL where to move, and the AI relays that to his teams. Players go along for the ride.

If it doesn't work that way, then players other than the XO can command their squads/patrols or join the XO infantry squad, which contains about 14 slots. Whether a home computer can handle 14 slots is TBD.

At the end of the day, I don't expect OpChaos to be the fulfilling map we want. CptBravo made the mission to showcase a large battle and didn't add elements to make the battle into a theatre (no pun intended). The mission begins in the battlefiled just short of the first objective. There is no HQ, no repair or ground veh.support, and the air support operates independently of human command or control. I don't think there is a revive or medic ability.

Still, given the evening mission start and massive amount going on around you, it may provide fun for at least one complete run-through. One way or the other, OpChaos boasts 800enemyAI, 20enemy tanks, and deadly air support. It's got to be cool to see.

How large scale are we looking at here? I've just made a TvT Tank battle map with 7 tanks each. I can probably do much more

What about an Alamo type situation, where you're defending a hill/base against multiple threats? (i.e. airborne drop, cobras in the air, ect.)

@ Dx2-Do whatever inspires you, man. Idan and I were thinking big. OpChaos big, with hundreds of AI and lots of different vehicles working together would be awesome, but it must be tons and tons of work to build something so large and interesting enough that it doesn't become a 'flatten the city' excercise.

A large tank assault would be cool too. Not exactly what I had in mind for the 'epic battle' scale, but certainly a mission type I'd like. Taking that idea, and the success of an ad-hoc 5-tank attack last week w/Zeno in Dom (read:fail), you might not have to stray very far from a tactical dom mission. The catch to make it bigger is to have other infantry and/or air support as well, so that those in the tanks (or the planes, or the ground) aren't the only ones in theatre.

An Alamo scenario would be a great part of a larger mission, but I don't think I'd like it as a standalone for very long. Take the Alamo scenario:US/Russia/CDK cornered in their city, airfield, or on the beach, and add secondary objectives to weaken the enemy's offensive, similar to the side mission in Dom to destroy enemy artillery.

Here's an idea from the Alamo...Swap roles in a Dom-style mission, but put humans on the defensive, where a combination of guerilla tactics are necessary to weaken the stronger opponent before choosing the right time to take the offensive and push the US/Russians/CDK out of the area. Players would have to split into defensive teams and guerilla teams to keep the base alive, weaken the enemy, and gather intel on where the main battleforce is stationed. You might even leave out secondary objective markers and have players backtrack on attackers to find their various depots and FOBs. A flaw would be to make the objectives linear. Optional objectives leave it up to the players to decide where to attack and when, and when to make the final push. This gives a chance too for a bit of a warm-up by gathering intel and preparing for the counteroffensive. I anticipate it would be a progressively more active map, as objectives fall, intel increases, the enemy becomes more aware and the main battle force moves on you, unless you can engage it on your own terms.

So many ideas, so little work! (I mean the work that pays my web bill).

Edited by Ebden

I just saw another mission that may suit. It has the curious addition of Everon. That was an original OFP map? The map is only 71mb.

Binkowski's Lamentin Pocket (Coop 1-45)

Also, had a message from CptBravo today. In addition to Durkax2, MH6, and Dai (and anyone else in Sparta), Bravo sounds like another mission maker to watch.

The new version of take the airport
(OpChaos)
will be large scale where team play is a must. In theory, you can get 70 human players to play it (it would be one heck of a server and bandwidth) but possible. Ideally, 8-12 human players taking over as squad leaders.(that is how we play it anyway in MP). Possible to play in SP where you can utilize team switch to jump between different roles.

I also have another mission (have not released public yet)where it is mostly CQB on company level and where you and enemy tade arttillery.

Once I am done polishing and finishing Take the airport, I intend to make even a larger battle where there will be smaller sub-missions (SF team attack enemy AA, kill general, attack enemy supply lines, etc ..) and where total soldiers will be over 2,000 (not at the same time or in same place!)

Edited by Ebden

• 2 weeks later...