Spartans Home

My setup so far - for Black shark

Now guys, had this now for over a week and my thoughts are as follows.

Pro's

Yes great little second monitor, extra desktop space. A must for any gamer using TS or Vent

CPU Usage is pretty much next to none on my setup.

Looks the dogs bollocks

Great add on for any game, as long as you use the touch buddy applications which is probably the hard part, but read the cons section.

Installation was a breeze on my XP machine, But I cannot comment on Vista as I had problems at first, but that was due to the touch drivers I had on my machine from a previous touch screen. So Viiiper will have to comment on the vista install.

Price, for what it is I don't think it's over priced, and I think I paid over the odds to have one now.

Con's

It's suffers from quite a bit of reflection on the screen.

Brightness of the screen is a bit like the early first LCD/TFT panels that came out a few years ago. At night, in a dark room it's great, get a bit of ambient light and you can still see it it, but it's no where as clear as my main screen.

Also with it been a touch screen, you get a little haze on the screen, but saying that you do with all touch screens. It's the plastic matrix membrane thing.

Web cam forget it it sucks, but I did not buy it for the web cam.

Touch Buddy applications, is not the easiest application to use. And this dose not include creating the buttons in the first place. It has crashed a few time on me, and things that would seem obvious are not that obvious. The application dose not seem to follow HCIG (Human-Computer Interaction Guidelines). Which most developers follow when creating a application.

Overall Comment

If your after a home for your TS then get one, or somewhere to put your sidebar. If you plan on using it for games, and your not a techy or GFX artist. Then hope that one of us who is a bit more techified, Is playing the same game as you and as already done the Touch Buddy interface.

And if your are techno freak and must have the latests gadget, the I guess you have already ordered one.

Everything Cobol said is true, my computer is not in direct sunlight & I have blinds on the windows he does not, so his room in awash with sunlight in the day time & he has panel brightness wash.

The product just came onto the market from Korea, I mean just came out like Oct 08 and is still in distribution.

Reviewers got hold in Dec - Jan due to hit the U.S. market in spring (March)

IDEA

If your unemployed? looking for a job? start up your own distribution company with a government grant.

Then Contact Nanovision & order a sample batch of 10. If your in the UK I will buy 2 off you, cobol might get another...

and so on.... your in business......

As a distributer you might get it for $80 - $90 for the touch / screen

I plan to run 2-3 units, One for Teamspeak, One for Widgets & one of gaming, Cobol & I ordered one each to see how they work, so when I get chance I will get another.

I saw a guy set up a Windows Home Server (WHS) after he removed the mouse & keyboard and used the screen only as a mouse & keyboard, using a virtual keyboard to login after boot up.

http://www.terracode.com/MIMO_UM740_Review/UM-740_WHS.html

Korean company name is NanoVision

Contact

http://kr104172728.trustpass.alibaba.com/

Company Name: Nanovision Co., Ltd.

Business Type: Manufacturer

Product/Service: TFT LCD Module (2. 4-Inch To 7-Inch) , TFT LCD Cell (1. 5-Inch To 3. 5-Inch) , OEM For Lc Injection

Employees: 101 - 500 People

Registered Address:

225-11 Namsan-ri,

Jigsan-eup,,

Seobook-gu,

Cheonan-SI,

Chungcheongnam-do,

South Korea

Zip: 331812

NanoVision official website

http://www.alibaba.com/member_site.html?ur...www.alibaba.com

UK www.scan.co.uk has been waiting 3 months

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MIMO-UM-710...i-Display-Black

£99 for the UM - 710 NONE TOUCH

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/MIMO-UM-730...us-Stereo-Black

£125 for the UM - 730 NONE TOUCH

MOST WANTED

http://www.pamerponsel.com/hdtv/mimo-um-73...n-for-notebook/

Now guys, had this now for over a week and my thoughts are as follows.

.....Touch Buddy applications, is not the easiest application to use. And this dose not include creating the buttons in the first place. It has crashed a few time on me, and things that would seem obvious are not that obvious. The application dose not seem to follow HCIG (Human-Computer Interaction Guidelines). Which most developers follow when creating a application.

.... If you plan on using it for games, and your not a techy or GFX artist. Then hope that one of us who is a bit more techified, Is playing the same game as you and as already done the Touch Buddy interface.

Very likely deal breakers.....thanks for the thorough reviews Cobol and Vii. Will give this product a bit more time to mature and see if the community adopts this monitor and steps up.

• 5 weeks later...

I imagine the touchscreen is very accurate but those buttons look small enough for you to press the wrong one when in a hurry or does that not happen?

It looks amazing.

edit. LOL just seen your other post that they may be a little small. I'm sure getting the balance right will take some time to get right, good job Cobol.

• 3 weeks later...

just bought one from ebay, hope to have it before my 2 women are goint to Brazil.

I'll get in touch with you guys to set it up correctly.

Quick question already, any possibility to get the programming software separately? I'm gonna want to try some stuff out already before it arrives.

All the best !