Spartans Home

Few more brits over here for help

=WBG=KDC

(hi guys, i posted this over at the BDA but there is a heck load more brits ova here so u might be better suited to help with my PC World thing over here, be very very very grateful for the help)

i hate computers, mainly cos mine has just gone down the crapper, (im still learning all i can about these annoying things) heres my problem......

the computer boots to windows and is half way loading all the final crap, then it flicks to a blue screen and re-boots. its a full page of writing but i can read it, cos its only up for a second. there is some red highlighted stuff and also i noticed the word 'hardware'..........

anyway i have done a number of system restores (about 4 now) and windows will boot up fine. i ve run virus programs, defrags, spyware, etc etc even play some games. and then i ll turn it off, next time i boot up same problem.

now this might be happening because it the fan on my graphics card has stopped working, it used to spin up all the time but now i have noticed it does bloody nothing!. i dunno if my system is trying to protect its self or something with these restarts.

dunno wat u guys think about that

so anyway i ll have to get that repaired, its still under warranty so i ll take it back to PC World in the UK. just wanted to ask will these people give me problems cos i have opened up the case to look inside? theres no stickers saying warranty void if removed etc etc so when i take to them should i tell them the fan is not working or let them find out 4 themselves so i don't get grief from the buggers??

Cheers guys

KDC

Tell them that you had to open the case to clean the dust for a preventive measuer (make sure you actually do it). This is allowed under most warranties by most companies. I know that Dell used to allow you to open it for cleaning purposes.

It sounds like to me that your GPU is getting hot and causing the shutdown. If they will not fix it, get you an aftermarket cooler for the video card. You should be able to find one pretty easy.

I would also try to uninstall any hardware that you have recently installed or changed and see if that helps.

Duno about being a Brit ... However ..

Since your box is covered by warenty i would use this benefit and have them check the box out totally for problems, thus they will fix any malfunctioning parts like fans.

If your not satisfied with the outcome climb all over there backsides ... rember you paid for the box WITH after sales warenty and service.

If your having more probs post back here of jump on TS and some of us may be able to shed some light with a fix ... GL regardless :)

L8R

Yes, Halli's right. It's your graphics card fan. If you play outdoors in the winter, you'll notice you get about 5 minutes of play before the Blue Screen of Death appears. It's a thermal problem. Hardware failure and should be covered under warranty.

Go into your local Best Buy, take a 12 guage semi auto or pump with you. Then go straight to the manager and ....

... oh wait, you're in the UK...

Get in line. Wait for the other blokes in front of you to be denied service, then you can plead your case to bureaucrat opposite you whose job it is to screen out well-meaning and deserving people like you. He will be your best source of rejection, just in case you don't get enough of that from women (given that you are an avid gamer, and all).

Well, I've had enough to drink at my friends' wedding and I think with this post I've probably annoyed and insulted nearly everyone at SPARTA. If anyone feels left out, please feel free to PM me and I'll give you the abuse you so richly deserve. ;-)

KDC, bottom line - you need a new vid card. Good luck.

All th best,

Wes

an after market fan would be cheap to fit but it would bugger ur warranty. PC world sometimes get stuff right its there prob, join their q and make them fix it mate.

regarding the click flick of the blue screen I think it means that in your BIOS you have it set 2 "restart upon error" or something along those lines. So if u can turn that off then when the blue screen comes round you will be able to see what the problem is. (I think)

ok guys i ll try that, i have enough pennys saved up for a new graphics card and power supply but i may as well get it sorted in its current state, might be other stuff wrong with it so let those guys do it for me then i can get the new stuff 4 it (as long my car passes the M.O.T)

thanks,

KDC