Spartans Home

Boeing’s ‘lightest metal ever’ is 99.99% air

Gon5~SPARTA~

Nice

Hoot works in a steelworks in Wales it makes high end steel lighter than Aluminum until he told me I didn't know that it was even possible

• Like 1

yes it is possible. However the alloys and processes used are pretty damn expensive.

What Boeing appears to be doing, is figuring out how to replace a "Honeycomb composite structure" with a "Honeycomb steel structure".

I think this is likely a great way to go, it would be much more durable than the current honeycomb composite structures.

De-lamination in composite structures in general is a huge problem, because it is very difficult to detect without cutting it open and looking.

They have to use sonar to actually look for it, x-rays even miss much of it especially at the beginning of the failure.

Either test process is extremely expensive relative to the previous visual inspection of an all metal aircraft.

I think this is what they are shooting for, A honeycomb steel structure could likely be inspected with a visual inspection. Steel does a very good job

of distributing any given load over a large area compared to composite structures, this means a problem becomes visible very quickly.

Composites tend to fracture and separate under the these conditions, therefore not transmitting signs of the problem to the surface.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~
  • Like 1