Spartans Home

Well it appears Chevrolet finally got serious

Zathrus~SPARTA~

Through the 80s, 90's, 2000's etc. I have marveled in wonderment at how "ordinary" the corvette performed relative to its looks.

It looked pretty fast... it just wasn't.

In 1987, my Buick Grand National destroyed several corvettes in drag races on the local drag strip (on Friday evenings, for a fee of $15 you could drag race all you wanted... and they allowed grudge races which was very fun) I actually destroyed them though model year 1995 corvettes in 1/4 mile drag races before I finally sold that grand national. (BTW the 1987 Buick Grand National was an Intercooled Turbo Charged 3.8L V6 producing 300HP and 295 ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels. It could seat 4 adults comfortably and had a huge trunk for luggage or gear. Buick was forced to stop producing it by General Motors in 1987 due to protests by Chevrolet. It was a massive internal fight at the time inside GM that Buick lost. I was aware of this because I worked for GM at the time, the internal fight was not really published)

But in 2010 the Corvette suddenly started to change in the right direction. They have built on that change steadily. The 2014 Corvette Z06 got people's attention... and now the 2015 Corvette Z06 is amazing.

Published on Apr 10, 2015
2015 Corvette Z06 with Z07 performance package. 659 PS and 881 Nm of torque from a 6.2 liter supercharged pushrod V8 and a soundtrack like no other ;) as you can see, the aerodynamic downforce generated by the Z07 Performance Pack is holding back the car at high speeds, but it´s also the reason for it being an absolute monster on the track! It destroyed our fastest production car lap (991 Turbo S) at Sachsenring

I included the quote above from that video. This is what the author of the video wrote under it.

As many of you know, I live in the desert... and in the Southwest USA we kind of like doing little tests also... :allgood:

And finally... this guy took his to the local drag strip like I used to do. I believe this is a 2014.

Once he got used to speed shifting, his final run was a 1/4 mile in 10.62 seconds at a speed of 135.5 mph.

So.... I would say Chevrolet has finally turned their corvette engineering team loose... and allowed them to build a real sports car. :banana_dance:

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

The Z06 model is built altogether different then the c7, Different production line in Bowling green Kentucky. Features a all alumnuim chassie and the engines are LS series and all alumnuim as well and hand built for the Z06, The production line has very strict quality standards, more so for the Z06 then the regular vettes. Special model and very much more then the C7

Z06 is lighter and has a lot more H.P then the C7 and a lot faster as well.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Yes the Z06 Corvette is an actual road & track race car. With the Z07 performance package added to the Z06, it gets all kinds of fully functional ground effects which reportedly makes it an absolute beast on the track.

While the Z07 performance package will make it a super car on a road track, the package will reduce top speed as discovered in the first vid I posted. That is to be expected. It begins producing too much down force at about 180mph to continue accelerating well.... but it is glued to the road at that point.

It comes from the factory with a Supercharged 6.2L V8 producing 650HP at the rear wheels. It is coupled with an 8 speed automatic with paddle shifters.

Interestingly... with all this HP and torque they are providing a 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty also.

Yes for the price it is very hard to beat.

It is a lot of car for that kind of money. Considering it is basically race ready.

Sadly by the time it gets to europe it becomes a lot more expensive.

Well... you could come visit the USA again... accidently buy one B) and have to take it home with you by ship...... :allgood:

Perhaps we can figure out how to avoid the unbelievably high import duties.......

My budget for cars has already been accounted for. The other thing is I have come to realise I dont need a race car, just a car with character. For example the RX8 is flawed in many ways and certainly not a fast car, but it has a lot of character.