Spartans Home

the Amazing Subaru WRX sti

Zathrus~SPARTA~

For any of you high performance car enthusiasts out there, I would encourage you to take an WRX sti out for a spin if given the opportunity. They are a lot of fun to drive, very sure footed with an amazing amount of HP to the wheels for a car of this size.

Below is a video that demonstrates how Subaru's VCS (vehicle control system) will help an experienced driver regain control after making the mistake of applying to much throttle during a pass on slick roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLT0sudAGtU

Although the driver had to have enough experience and/or training to know when to apply throttle again during that spin, the car was shifting torque from wheel to wheel as he applied power to help

stabilize the car more rapidly. Once the car straightened, you can see the torque shifting from side to side correcting the remaining lateral momentum from the spin until the car became stable in a straight line.

Below is a picture of the 2015 Subaru WRX sti. This year they have further enhanced it's legendary handling. In addition, it is producing 305 HP at the wheels.

2015-subaru-wrx-sti-2_1200.jpg

Some bullet points from Subaru on this model:

1) The WRX STI takes it up a level with a completely remastered high-performance suspension, developed by STI racing engineers with the input of world-class drivers. It features inverted dampers, revised spring and damper rates and aluminum-alloy lower L-arms with pillow ball mounts.
The result is a 16% reduction in body roll. While the enhanced 13.0:1 steering ratio and larger front and rear anti-roll bars provide faster steering response.

2) Packed with a turbocharger that works with a large-capacity intercooler to boost output and response, the all-new WRX STI gives you 305 horsepower and delivers 290 lb-ft of torque to all four wheels for intense acceleration.

3) Choose from three modes of driving characteristics with Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-DRIVE) technology to suit your preferred taste in control. Then put the power of Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive in your hand. The Driver-Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) works with the close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission, so you can adjust the amount of lock between the front and rear wheels, letting you match your vehicle's handling attitude to your own.

4) The Brembo® Performance Brake System is designed for track-ready performance and fade-free stopping power. Working with the ultra-lightweight forged aluminum BBS® wheels, you’ll experience quicker suspension reactions due to reduced unsprung weight.

5) Light, strong, and with decades of motorsports heritage, 18-inch BBS® aluminum wheels are available on the STI, offering a perfect mix of aggressive styling and improved response.

Having worked for Subaru for several years, I have a soft spot for them. However, they were one of the best companies I have ever worked for and their cars have always shown that. They have very loyal employees in their manufacturing plants. Employees who take the quality of the car in their station personally.

The WRX sti is just a joy to drive for the enthusiast that appreciates performance well engineered. So I can highly recommend taking one for a joy ride if you get the opportunity. I do not think you will

regret it.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

well... considering a few very cheap mods and computer adjustments will knock the HP up to over 500HP at the wheels... not very likely :thumbsup:

Going much beyond 500hp can get pretty expensive though since that requires dual turbos, new intake manifold, etc. (all of which is available) I have seen some of those cars

with the claim they produce 800HP at the wheels in Dyno testing. Those cars are owned by folks who can afford to rebuild the engine often. That is just wound too tight to last

for any length of time without replacing things often. Connecting rods stretch and the main bearings take a beating so replacing all that often is mandatory unless you want

to give someone a spectacular light show as your drive train hand grenades into pieces. :dog: As the old saying goes "When dog poopy fast, dog doesn't poopy long" :D

Nice info in the posts btw. Id love to drive either of those cars, always has a soft spot for the evo, the guys on here that play the racing games know that i would say the evo is better no matter what the car :D :D

Edited by PANiC

yeah, in this country the EVO and WRX sti are almost identical in price for the standard model... and again for the premium model.

However, the WRX tends to be more popular in this country as Subaru created a huge name for itself here by pioneering AWD cars with active vehicle control

systems here. They developed almost cult followings in the Rocky mountain states and the northeast north of NY.

This is because they were the first company in this country to offer dependable, comfortable AWD cars so that folks in these regions did not always have to buy a 4x4 truck for winter.

In addition, the EVO here is rated at 290HP with a 2.0 L engine. The WRX is 305HP with a 2.5 L engine. Americans like to go with the bigger engine... cause we like more power :cheers:

That is probably another reason the WRX seems to out sell the EVO here, more power and potential power(you can boost more HP out of a 2.5L than a 2.0L if both engines are high perf.) for the same money... built by the people who pioneered and developed the AWD system and "anti -fishtailing" system being used in the EVO. Which is a part of Subaru's VCS system.

The EVO is an excellent car. But here Subaru is just more popular for a number of reasons.

I wonder if the EVO in the UK is different than the one here? That happens often... cars of same model being different for different countries.

Zeno, when you say R34.. which car are you referring to?

I have also heard the Nissan GTR is a blast to drive, however... Nissan has gone 100% keyless ignition in all cars. As an engineer who worked for a long time in the Auto industry... I can safely say that "Keyless Ignition" is NOT really ready for the market. It does work without a key, however there are hundreds of things I discovered, that can fail and cause the car to believe it is being stolen. They have not taken the effort to write the code needed for the computer to differentiate the difference between an electrical failure and someone trying to bypass it.

After a little research, I learned that it does not matter what make the car is, ALL keyless ignition systems have this weakness. Nobody has figured out code that will allow the computer to differentiate between an internal electrical failure and someone physically cutting or bypassing it. The aggravating thing is... I know for a fact most computer systems in cars today already collect the data needed to do that.... because you would be amazed at how many things are being read by the computer. Voltages, current draw, you name it... they are reading it.

As some of you know, my Nissan sat in one of the Dealer's service bays for 20 days because the "Parking steering wheel lock" failed electrically. When that happened, the computer locked the ignition out. Not even the dealer can over ride the lockout. Only a new part that starts talking to computer again will re-arm the ignition. I asked their engineering team why something as unimportant as the parking steering wheel lock failing could cause the car to become inoperable.

They did not have a good answer.... they responded with "We are looking at this and many other issues regarding ignition lockout".

At present... it just does not work in my opinion. It can disable your car very easily.

So... Zeno... I want to know which car your referring to as the R34

The current Nissan GTR is also known as an R35. I like the look of the older R34. That belonged to an era where all Japanese sport cars had 270 hp, but really had more and were easily upgraded, the Mazda RX7 and the Toyota Supra were other examples.

To be fair I like the flat four engine of the Subaru and respect its abilities, but have not been so impressed with the styling of that model in the past, but the new one you showed does look much better from the front.

NissanSkylineR34GTR.jpg

I have to agree with the styling of the WRX in the past. I have never really cared for its looks, but always respected its abilities having been able to test some.

They have significantly improved the styling I think for 2015. It is a much more aggressive styling for 2015.

I have a few more pics of this year's model.

Subaru-WRX_STI_2015_1024x768_wallpaper_0

In all honesty... the side profile is still not great... but front and rear look pretty good for this year.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the rocky mountain states and the northeast north of NYC are Subaru dominated. There is almost a cult following of Subaru in these areas due to them being

the first cars available that were reasonably priced with All wheel drive standard in those areas. Prior to Subaru entering those markets, the choices for people in those areas

consisted only of 4x4 trucks.

Many prefer a car over a truck...