Spartans Home

Troubleshooting: BIOS not detecting hard drive

Hunter~SPARTA~

Alright gents, I'm a bit perplexed with this one.

Over the weekend my PSU died on me and I just got the replacement in last night. Got everything hooked back up and all seems to be alright with the exception of one hard drive not being detected. The SSD with the OS installed fires up fine, but the mechanical drive just won't work.

I removed the drive from the system and verified the disk itself is not malfunctioning, I can plug it into another machine and it works fine. I've taken both the power cable and SATA cable from the SSD and plugged them into the other and still no dice. I've tried running a separate power line and different SATA cables on different SATA headers from the mobo, nothing has worked so far.

Any ideas?

P.S. - This is my first modular power supply... they are genius.

Man, the power supply going out really jacked up my system. Got the drive to start working, but don't really know what to tell you for a fix action. Just kept tinkering with it, different cables, different headers, etc and so on until it just worked one time.

Once I was in, my user profile was all jacked up and had to do some registry edits to get it working again. Got that fixed and then some how both of my NIC's just dropped their MAC addresses. I really can't explain that one. After about 20 minutes of working on the networking issue I happened to look at the router's DHCP log and noticed the requests were coming from MAC "00-00-00-00-00-00". Once I spoofed a MAC into the NIC, it worked right away.

Very bizarre.

So you have had to use a local administered address field on the NIC? If so that is interesting, the burnt in address as we old timers call it has gone, which I thought was impossible. Unless that addressing is being handled by the bios I suppose. Where did you edit the information, within Windows itself or at a bios level?

So you have had to use a local administered address field on the NIC? If so that is interesting, the burnt in address as we old timers call it has gone, which I thought was impossible. Unless that addressing is being handled by the bios I suppose. Where did you edit the information, within Windows itself or at a bios level?

In Windows 7 they call it "Network Address", but same thing as the older "local administered address", but yes that is where I manually put a MAC address in. I was not aware the MAC could be wiped, either. Like I said, really can't explain that one.

You reset the Bios at all, the PSU may have caused Mobo issues, best case a bios reset, worst case Mobo failure or flaky random issues.

Hope you get it sorted man.

I did not do a BIOS reset, I don't even recall seeing that option while I was in there. Everything seems to be back to normal at the moment, we'll see if it lasts or if I start running into random issues down the line.