Spartans Home

Verizon FiOS (50/20) -- Thoughts?

MH6~SPARTA~

Thinking about ordering Verizon FiOS 50Mb/s down/20Mb/s up. Would be able twice my current 25/? Comcast line.

Anyone have FiOS? Is it blazingly fast (4+ megabytes per second downloads?) I'm worried I'd rarely ever use the full ~6MB/s due to server bandwidth constraints. I'm guessing Steam is really the only place I'd see 6+MB/s downloads.

Would like to know any opinions you guys have concerning Verizon and FiOS. Keep in mind my current provider is Comcast, so saying their customer service sucks doesn't help much, as Comcast's sucks too. More interested in downtime and speed reliability. Does the internet go down every so often, do you regularly get advertised speeds, etc. My Comcast line has been going down quite a lot recently and I'm getting sick of it.

I got FIOS recently, moving from a cable provider. My provider was brighthouse here in Florida.

I thhought I was happy with Brighthouse, I had them for very long time. I decided to switch because of serious issues on HD TV signal, which became too much.

I had brighthouse with 10 Down and 2 up. it was ok for me.

At the same price I got FIOS at 15 down and 5 up. However, FIOS consistently over deliver. My download is never lowere than 18-20, while up is consistent 5.

FIOS HD is Superb.

The network hardware (wireless modem/router) and the DVR Box are Excellent pieces of hardware. There are features i never saw before and it took a bit to get used to the new toys.

Internet signal is faster. I gained at least 20 or 30 ms on the Sparta Arma UK Server, which is in my opinion a very good result, being overseas.

Never had a downtime in the last 6 month, since when I switched.

HDTV has great application for Android phone allowing you to completely control your box remotely. Internet website to control your recordings and channel lineup is clear and functional.

I was seriously impressed.

I have been using Torrent but not on a heavy basis and I had no throttling or any kind of weird things.