Spartans Home

Possible upgrade: i7-3820 or i7-2700k or i7-2600k

So.. I just wanna start saying.. it s all Hajimoto fault! I woke up nice and happy.. drinking my coffe.. and then started reading HIS post about the i7 Monster $1k.. and my brain started spinning :)

I opened Newegg and i was taking a look around. Besides the fact i am not gonna spend 1k on a new CPU and reading that page Haji posted, for gaming is not even necessary.

Then I started thinking about the New gen hardware will come out soon, such as PCIe-3.0. And then the Socket dilemma.. 1155 or 2011 ??

Then I was looking at those Chips as from title, and they are all nice and they all are priced almost the same (320 -340) and the newest guy, i7-3820 on 2011 socket is the cheapest at 319... But he seems a badass guy.

So the dilemma question is: "Mirror Mirror, who is the most badass in the Realm?"

Following a bare concept of longevity, I am keen to get a 2011 socket with a MB PCIe-3.0 ready.

So, I figured out this MB and RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.833777

and this CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229

All of the above for the slimy sum of $805.. I think I should put an H80 in it for other 90 bucks getting a total of $895.

So.. any suggestions?

Batty - You are correct that I did not craft my response to fit within your narrowed, yet detailed scope. What I did was, use a response that was previously crafted for a similar type of post, relating to new chip technologies and the hierarchy associated with them.

I have moved my response to the appropriate post and will rewrite a post more in line with your question.

Edited by Hajimoto

Hm.. Haji...

I do appreciate your extensive answer about the 990x or 3960x performances.. only thing is.. i never took any of those 2 in consideration on my "spectrum" :)

I was talking about the i7-3820 socket 2011, and having it compared to the "1 step below" gen, socket 1155...

Do we have a case of misunderstand here? Do i have to "make your taxes"? ... come behind the corner with me...

Sorry for the previous post which I have relocated as it was unrelated to your question.

Let me try this again.....

Take it from someone that bought into the new Intel format (1366) and a new memory configuration (Triple Channel), that you are never guaranteed that your best choice at the time, will be long lived.

1366 was not a successful platform due in part, that was undermined by the 1155 format, which offered equal or better performance, at less cost. The reduction in cost was because of its dual channel memory and 1155 socketed motherboards.

The new 2011 format has the same ingredients to fail as the 1366 did due to Ivy Bridge just around the corner. I would wait a bit to see what comes of that format before making a move if I were you.

My two cents

very good point there.

And, I actually have an i7-920 1366 with 6GB triple channel and I have to be honest, I have no impelling need to go anywhere.

All of my system is hanging there pretty decently. I do not need a PCIe 3.0 in short time because my 6970 is still working great with any game I throw at it.

I am working under par with my SSD, which is a SATA III but my actual MB supports only SATA II, therefore I have slower speed. It is still faster than any HDD, so is not a major concern.

One day when I will upgrade MB then I will see what processor going with.

I guess I will stay in standby for a while ;)