Spartans Home

Nuked my system and starting all over

Batwing~SPARTA~

Yeah.... How much do I love this???

My freaking 1TB decided to go ballistic... Lost boot sector and screwd a few files resulting in total erratic system.

So now rebuilding everything again, although it will take a while because now i gotta get my backup from the network drive.

Man this stuff sucks...

Make sure a virus didn't cause the issue (run Microsoft System Sweeper, it boots from CD and can detect rootkits and the like).

Is this drive an O/S drive? Because boot sectors are easily fixed, as are corrupted system files.

Out of curiosity what kind of drive is it? Seagate?

Sorry to hear it Batwing, I've had the same bad luck years ago.... 3 drives in 6 months...

Ask yourself, What did you do to crash the system?

When you have the answer, you know where to start your prevention system.

If you had a virus, possible but unlikely, then you have to ask yourself,

not where have you been, but how shit is your Anti virus software..

If it was hardware failure, you need to look into more reliable equipment replacement &

put into place a recovery system to minimize loss & inconvenience.

Most peoples systems crash but the learning factor is worth the experience.

Key point 1.

Back up all personal data to a separate system / place/ unit.

Only store average stuff on your main system, by average I mean things you don't mind loosing.

Backup all your passwords, especially online ones, inc. login info, to a safe location.

Buy the most reliable but affordable (to you) storage) / Use a NAS if possible in mirror or Raid 5 or raid x

Remember loads of people have problems, most are caused by their own actions, the rest by bad luck.

I suggest, SSD boot, no personal data, HDD Data storage in RAID 1 (mirror)

Ultra cheap

Local boot 60Gb SSD

local Data 500GB - 1TB no protection

Backup protection, USB stick/ thumb drive 16GB on your key ring.

cheap system

local boot 120-240 (240GB recommended)

local data 1TB - 3 TB in mirror (raid 1) so that's two drives working together.

mid range

local boot 120-240 (240GB recommended)

local data 1TB - 3 TB in mirror (raid 1) so that's two drives working together.

Remote/ Network storage (NAS) 1-4TB in raid 1 (mirror) or Raid 5/x

Dual network motherboard. Using isolated network for personal data.

High end

local boot 500Bb-1TB (240GB recommended)

local data 3 TB in mirror (raid 1) so that's two drives working together.

Remote/ Network storage (NAS) 6-24TB in raid 1 (mirror) or Raid 5/x

Dual network motherboard. Using isolated network for personal data.

Automatic backup software (main)

256bit encryption on local personal data.

Yeah, well i guess it was mostly bad luck.

This is ghe system i rebuilt 10 days ago with the new SSD os and a 3 months old 1TB wd drive.

The wd drive failed while i was downloading IL 2. In the middle of downloading i was just surfing around and system froze

I had to execute an hard reboot and considering the hd handlers were still open, most probably that was the coupe of grace.

After that started a nightmare of chkdsk recovery and orphaned files and the a boot sector failure.

Although i recovered the BS system is highly unstable and i think my final solution is:

1 due to no phisical errors i will nuke the drive, full format and redo the system and then test for a while being sure to backup weekly

2 if i see any sign of instability i will try a warranty action but i bought it a compusa store nd cant find receipt, but i used my card so i would be able to retrieve the transaction.

It s a bit of pain but now i know how i ll spend my Saturday:)

Edited by Batwing~SPARTA~

Sorry to hear batwing, and i know i have brought this up before, but i have so many ribbon drives, some that probably have homework on them from 5th and 6th grade. but recently i have been noticing more and more computer related issues based off of bad boot sectors or HD related firmware issues, is it that the technology is just to high speed and therefore easily knocked out of balance/unstable if you will, or the technology advanceing too fast so it built with the you'll "have" to upgrade in 6 months one way or another mentality.

...its a damn shame they don't make them like they used too..

Edited by rawdog

You know what..

I guess I do agree with you, at least in part.

I had smaller HDs in the past, sizes from 160, 250 and 500GB. I also installed several HDs on PC i sold and those were as well , medium sizes (250 - 500). I never had a call back in years from a customer complaining for an HD failure.

I had 2 HD failure myself before this incident; I had 160GB failing after 7 years of honored service and a 250GB failing after 6 years of honored service. Honestly I can t complain.

Now this motherfucker just 3 months old is failing... 1TB, 7200 rpm 64mb cache. It should be a very good machine but... it fails.

Either I have been very lucky (and my customers with me) so far or is true that the latest tech on HDs to make em bigger and faster is probably giving away stability.

Also true shit simply happens, so maybe a nice format this drive will be steady as a rock.. who knows, time will tell.

The only safe PC is a backed up PC, that is for sure :) I better start to get used to weekly backups ;)

I knew when I didn't see you back online after 10 mins, it was not good. Look on the bright side man, imagine if you didn't know what you know about PC's..... Now that would suck! lemme me know if I can assist in any way Batty.

Damn alot of that going around. I nuked my Arma on New Years day.. no idea how. Tried two system restores no go. Said I was " Missing Strings" whatever the fluck that meant. Anywho I almost did my system in to that day.

Good luck Batwing I feel for ya bud

R

On the plus side at least you'll know your systems cleaned up n running sharp

Right..

Thx guys for your moral support :) Thx Haji.. so far I am good, but for sure i ll knock your door if I need assistance.

Actually the final status of things is:

1 - SSD 128GB working great. OS reinstalled and squeeky clean

2 - WD 1TB in RMA procedure. It seems WD is sending me a replacement first AND I will send the sucker back when I get the replacement. The WD RMA procedure was surprisingly simple online and I decided to go with that.

However, reason for RMA is also because after reinstalling, nuked the partition on the 1TB, when creating the new Volume and going for Formatting, REFUSE TO FORMAT !! Soooo... not much more to do than an RMA :)

Actually I am re-building my system with very minimal services and games. Not installing anything big till when i ll get the replacement.

It is like driving a 6 cylinder using only 2 of them !! But i m glad it seems the RMA will be executed easily. It s just a matter of time now :)