Spartans Home

BF3 - Learning the maps.

MedicSN6

I have been trying to learn the maps as much as possible. I wrote down all of the maps available and have been going through them one at a time to try and figure them out as best as possible.

I sort by the map list and find an empty server. If it will start with one player, I run around and look at angles, firing positions, choke points, and anything else I figure out as I go along. As soon as other people start joining the server I leave.

My main goal it to learn the maps in a non-combat environment so I can spend some time checking them out, finding all the hidey-holes and sniper spots.

Just thought I'd share the idea.

Also, the Sprint unlock makes this much quicker to get around, but you may miss something if you do.

Nice one...

List of current map names if you need them for your notes.

Grand Bazaar

Teheran Highway

Caspian Border

Seine Crossing

Operation Firestorm

Damavand Peak

Noshahar Canals

Kharg Island

Operation Metro

I find the maps with more personal proximity my favourites & the vast ones less popular because you need vehicles and their always in short supply, leading to me/you/everyone else walking/running 1Km + to get to the AO.

My fav map is: Seine Crossing Just a well thought out map. Big yet tight, Urban yet open middle, plenty of angles for shots,lighting is great. plenty of cover & if your friends have the smoke perk, it's insane (scary).

Nice one...

List of current map names if you need them for your notes.

Grand Bazaar

Teheran Highway

Caspian Border

Seine Crossing

Operation Firestorm

Damavand Peak

Noshahar Canals

Kharg Island

Operation Metro

I find the maps with more personal proximity my favourites & the vast ones less popular because you need vehicles and their always in short supply, leading to me/you/everyone else walking/running 1Km + to get to the AO.

My fav map is: Seine Crossing Just a well thought out map. Big yet tight, Urban yet open middle, plenty of angles for shots,lighting is great. plenty of cover & if your friends have the smoke perk, it's insane (scary).

I was just saying yesterday or the day before that Seine Crossing is an awesome map that has elements of both CQB and distance. But, I have to say that the Grand Bazaar is my favorite. So many choke points, open lanes, and CQB opportunities. The map is a damn mess when you fill the server and it's complete fun.

That s a good idea. Anyone can find full map aerial pics? (satellite view)

If we wanna start to think how to play together and put down some sorta of "action" it would be nice to have a Map to play with writing some notes.

In other games, in the past, we were used to print a map down and keep it on the desk with team notes to simplify communication and movement.

That s a good idea. Anyone can find full map aerial pics? (satellite view)

If we wanna start to think how to play together and put down some sorta of "action" it would be nice to have a Map to play with writing some notes.

In other games, in the past, we were used to print a map down and keep it on the desk with team notes to simplify communication and movement.

Best ones I could find: http://battlefield3forums.com/content.php?47-Overhead-Battlefield-3-Multiplayer-Maps

well, thx Medic.

That s exactly what I am talking about. I would love to start perfectioning one map at the time. My dream would be having a consolidated Squad, possibly 8 ppl - so to fill up 2 gmae squads - and take a tactical action on a map. Tactical means "having a plan" mostly.

Deciding from starting spawn where to go to conquer flags in an intelligent manner and then set strongpoint position to maintain the majority (if not all) flags. Having 3 out of 5 flags already provides a good chance to close the game victoriously IF defensive positions are maintained and supported.

In any battle planning on a map is the first step, then in the real fast pace environment things change, but having a plan allows to regroup and WIN.

When I say I would love to play BF3 in a tactical way, I mostly mean this, not too much of Comms, but mostly discuss a plan, everyone knows what to do, execute and have a commander who calls for positions and regroup points to consolidate.

Is that too much to ask ?

The best way to learn a map isn't just to walk around alone. It's a good start if you're looking at a map the first time, but it gives you very little sense of the flow of battle. What seemed like a great hidey spot on your own may quickly turn into a killzone in a fully packed server.

In my experience, the best way is to pub a lot of games together (A LOT) and learn the maps under fire. You'll find those good angles, common routes, and the "real" cover pretty quick when the bullets are flying and you're low on health. But maybe that's just me.

Good point there Rooster.

I think is a mix of the 2. Definetely being involved in the real firefight is important, but sometimes in this specific game all happens so quickly, you may have survived and you are not even sure where you are.

So, going back on an empty server, having a printed map with you, you can retrieve those spots and make a record of them.

However, is true, I think is a matter of how much you can invest in gaming as a time unit, because if you play a lot, doesn t matter if is full of empty, you will learn the map anyway.

Probably for ppl who doesn t have so much time, to help the automatisms, having a map and some directions can help.

Furthermore, other than just "learning the map" all of this should be considered as planning attack and retreat routes and offer common rally points when playing as a team, I guess, otherwise everyone goes everywhere, resulting as a bunch of crazy ants running here and there...