Spartans Home

New mobo/cpu/ram

Krambo

Viper has been waving the 1366 flag and I have been waving the 1155 flag :thumbsup_anim:

£147.20 Inc VAT for Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard

£160.98 inc VAT for the 2500k

£130.99 Inc VAT for Corsair Memory Vengeance 12gb cas9 1600 ram.... Edited was looking at wrong ram this was 4x4gb ram....

Kinda hard to find good ram when they only really carry Corsair........

£439.17

£50.99 Inc VAT for Corsair H50-1 Hydro Series CPU Cooler

I wouldn't really want it but they dont really carry alot of options there......

£490.16

I found that site to be uninspiring. They only give you 1 page of results and cut a large number of items unless you search by names....

Im going to edit more, but i dont wana loose this so im posting it.....

Overclockers.co.uk

Prebuilt Overclock bundle 2500k/Gigabyte UD4/4gb corsair 1600ram £398.78 inc VAT

Only drawback to that prebuilt is the 4gb ram.

Or

£79.19 inc VAT G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM) [F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM]

£149.99 inc VAT Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3

£161.99 inc VAT Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz OEM no HS/fan

£391.17 That almost beats the oc bundle, but you can choose your own HS/fan and you got 4 more gigs of ram.

Im not saying you have to go 1155 or 1366, im just showing the options and giving my argument the best I can.

Also if your in no rush AMD is working on another Line of AM3+ chips. Bulldozer I believe.

Should be late April they will start shipping if no delays.

Incase your wondering why I think the 1366 is worse then the 1155 go Here. The Extreme Edition is 30mhz faster and it looses in most of those games.

Edited by Donziboy2

Looks good.

Im not to impressed with the selection at scan.co.uk

You can have any brand memory you want as long as its Corsair lol.

I will point out that the cost to benefit ratio of the 2600k vs the 2500k is poor. The difference in gaming will be negligible, only if you are running multiple high load programs will you see any real benefits. But then again I am kinda bitchy about these things B)

The coolest thing about the H20 is that it doesnt put a large strain on the CPU socket and motherboard, but remember to leak test before you run your system. A wet computer is no fun.

But it looks good.

Could you please post the rest of your parts.

If im not at school or working when you get your parts in I will make sure im available for tech support:)

Helpful reference for building your system.

Its for an 1156 board but most of the procedures are the same.

Edited by Donziboy2

based on a fair amount of reading it looks as if the i5 2500k peforms just about as good as the i7 2600k yet doesnt support hyperthreading..

came across this list also earlier of programs that support hyperthreading, noticed couple of games i play on there also use it..

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=290073&mpage=1

will i see that much of a difference?

I foundthis article dismorning on memory, looks like expensive ram is just a paper tiger.

In Crysis the difference between 1600 and 1833 at cas 9 is 0.3%. But it does not take into account overclocking the cpu so the gain could be greater.... My Head Hurts :excl:

Antec Nine Hundred

It looks like there is a mount on the side window for a 120mm fan. If so I recommend you put a fan there to blow down onto the mobo/ram, and it will feed more cool air to your gpu also. Heat is our enemy, we must destroy it!!!!!!

Case/Psu/Gpu looks good. You should be able to rock on for a good amount of time with that.

The thing with HT is that you are limited to how much power you physicaly have on the die. With HT it allows you to run 8 smaller processes more efficiently then 8 processes on 4 cores.

The only HT benches I have seen that are Sandy Bridge specific are from a frech site. Hardware.fr

They only tested Crysis and Arma 2. Crysis saw a gain and Arma 2 choked. Granted they did some of there testing at 2.8 ghz. In order to compare them to other chips.

The true question is do you want to gain performance in 1 game only to loose it in another? You could disable it for now and hope that in another year that most game devs are streamlining HT then re-enable it. But is the cost difference worth it to you?

Edited by Donziboy2

Krambo:

That list of software using HT is very interesting, thx for that.

However keep in mind the source is March 22 2010. I would consider way more programs today and tomorrow being optimized for HT.

Donzy:

Honestly, besides a purely economic factor, which i don t even know how much applies on this discussion anymore, the debate about "Is HT Useful or not" sounds quite dry to me.

HT is better Period.

It enhances performances on programs written correctly to use it. The up- performance may not be stellar but is there anyway. In other cases is purely stellar.

However I really don t see the reason to say NO upfront to a possible better performance, if the option is within budget.

All of these machines are going to perform very similarely. The difference is in your wallet. Get all of the "optional" you can either will use 'em or not. You never know if tomorrow will come out a new amazing game you love, perfectly implemented for HT and then you don't have it... because you saved 30 bucks....

Up to you.

More like £70 or $90 on newegg.

The % increase does not justify the 40% premium to me.

To me that's the difference between a HDD and an SSD. SSD and page files are made for each other :thumbsup_anim: You are using Windows 7 right?

OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-1VTX60G) [OCZSSD2-1VTX60G]

Out of stock atm but thats not bad. OS/Page File drive

Edited by Donziboy2

Atleast your asking questions and planing before you buy. A member of another gaming group i hang with asked us about his build idea then after a day he went and ordered without checking forums.....

So now he is having to RMA cpu/PSU/HDD cause he didnt look at post before ordering.

About the Z68 Chipset, please read carefully:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Z68-Chipset-Previewed-First-Motherboards-Expected-in-Early-May-188838.shtml

Once again, the improvement focused on the new Chipset are not aimed to gamers but to media enthusiats.

The interesting feature is the SSD caching memory. On how much that feature really is going to impact performances is yet to be seen, but sounds interesting.

While I do agree with the article writer, it's a shame that native features were not included with the previous chipset, all of this make sense to me only if is not impacting price.

Check your budget and if this new Z68 does not impact on it, go for it 100%, but if it does it... Just focus on what you need to do with your machine.