Spartans Home

dual quad-core suggestion (non-gaming)

Ebden~SPARTA~

IDK im ordering this setup :)

Qty.Product DescriptionSavingsTotal Price

119-103-849-02.jpg

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Item #:N82E16819103849

Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$229.001GC-000-001-02.jpg

Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $10.00

Item #:N82E168GC000001

135-118-019-02.jpg

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Item #:N82E16835118019

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

-$7.00 Instant

$59.99

$52.99113-131-655-02.jpg

ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 ATX AMD Motherboard

Item #:N82E16813131655

-$10.00 Instant

$184.99

$174.99135-100-007-02.jpg

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Item #:N82E16835100007

Return Policy: Consumable Item Refund Only Return Policy

$9.99117-371-012-21.jpg

Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply

Item #:N82E16817371012

-$25.00 Instant

$25.00 Mail-in Rebate

$199.99

$174.99114-121-401-03.jpg

ASUS Radeon HD 6870 EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5 Video Card with Eyefinity

Item #:N82E16814121401

Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$259.99220-145-260-02.jpg

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Item #:N82E16820145260

Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

$119.98Grand Total:$1,021.93

I already have the Hardrive and case but this is what i have on order i do some work with vegas Video and this should be Fine... not sure what type of PC you need Graphic Designer type or Video Editing Type

Edited by GySgt~SPARTA~

Ebden,

yes that is a mighty fine machine - actual workstation rather than PC.

If you really need a workstation rather than a PC then I would make the following observations:

• 32bit compatible, but not very future proof for memory - limited to 3GB
  • If you can cope with 64bit go for more memory
  • As you are doing a workstation get a proper raid configuration for the disks, as default I think they stripe that which is a nightmare if you lose a disk
  • All that grunt deserves a decent sized screen to play with
  • Can you IT department make it virtual compatible so you can run multiple operating system instances

What's the difference between a workstation and a regular PC, other than 'just more stuff'?

I am already long-sold on going with an x64 OS, we want to give the offending program it's full 3G max usable RAM +more for OS and prog's, so that'll be at min 6G memory from the start.

As for processing we might be fine with a single quad-core. What I still want to figure out is if the bottleneck is the R/W speed on the HD or a processor limitation, either coupled with low RAM. How would I break that down?

There are easy expensive options to remedy any of these issues, dual-quad chips, SSD-HDs, etc, but we do have to be sensible about the spending.

At work we're having hangups with a program called echoview, and boss wants to try a dual quadcore like his mac, but a PC version.

Through our purchasing agreements we can probably get a Dell Precision T7500, but is that really a good option?

Sounds like this is ooooold program if these specs are right which I found by doing the google thing: http://support.echoview.com/WebHelp/_Introduction/Computer_requirements.htm

This seems to be a program that can be run on a normal desktop, not even on a workstation because of this requirement: Microsoft Windows XP (note: the x64 edition is not currently supported).

So any kind of desktop or even a laptop with a dualcore/quadcore cpu with max 4 gigs of RAM and Win XP 32 bit should be able to run this.

I´m currently working with around 5000-6000 servers and virtualization (vmware, xen) and this just does not fit into those because of the OS & usb demands if that link which I found is still valid.

-KILLE-

-Jan

Sounds like this is ooooold program if these specs are right which I found by doing the google thing: http://support.echoview.com/WebHelp/_Introduction/Computer_requirements.htm

This seems to be a program that can be run on a normal desktop, not even on a workstation because of this requirement: Microsoft Windows XP (note: the x64 edition is not currently supported).

So any kind of desktop or even a laptop with a dualcore/quadcore cpu with max 4 gigs of RAM and Win XP 32 bit should be able to run this.

I´m currently working with around 5000-6000 servers and virtualization (vmware, xen) and this just does not fit into those because of the OS & usb demands if that link which I found is still valid.

-KILLE-

-Jan

That's the program. I know the memory max is 3G for the program, but an x32 system can only use 3.25. My thought was an x64-based system would permit an allocation of a full 3G of RAM to the program itself with more for the OS.

We currently run it on a C2D, not sure of the chipset exactly (writing from out of office), with 3G of RAM on XPx32 and a 9600GT VGA. The computer can run the program fine for some tasks, but the higher resolution data, given how the program runs (taking raw data files @100mb each and assembling them into 'ev' files), it lags out. It can certainly still do the work, just not in an efficient manner.

In this case then, a single quad core like an i5 might do the trick with W7x64 and 6G RAM. I might try to sell boss on an SSD for this program and associated files alone, but it doesn't seem like a dual-quad setup is necessary now. I use the Optiplex 980 myself, which is an easy aquire for the office since that's the current evolution on higher-end desktops at the office. A few extra customizations perhaps?

How's that jive?

That's the program. I know the memory max is 3G for the program, but an x32 system can only use 3.25. My thought was an x64-based system would permit an allocation of a full 3G of RAM to the program itself with more for the OS.

We currently run it on a C2D, not sure of the chipset exactly (writing from out of office), with 3G of RAM on XPx32 and a 9600GT VGA. The computer can run the program fine for some tasks, but the higher resolution data, given how the program runs (taking raw data files @100mb each and assembling them into 'ev' files), it lags out. It can certainly still do the work, just not in an efficient manner.

In this case then, a single quad core like an i5 might do the trick with W7x64 and 6G RAM. I might try to sell boss on an SSD for this program and associated files alone, but it doesn't seem like a dual-quad setup is necessary now. I use the Optiplex 980 myself, which is an easy aquire for the office since that's the current evolution on higher-end desktops at the office. A few extra customizations perhaps?

How's that jive?

Sounds good. Close to what we just built at my work, which are blazing fast.

Though to be honest, if the application locks up processing all those files, then it probably isn't threaded, in which case it'll probably still only use a single core of the i5.

How's that jive?

Sounds good, but how is that program built, I mean that can you install it into 64 bit OS? I would try it out first, usually older programs do have only 16bit installers (.exe) which is a no go for x64 operating systems. If you can´t do the installation then you can´t go for W7x64 and for 6GB RAM. Even if the installation goes nicely software might get hickups from that amount of memory... Remember arma2 when it was launched, one had to fork the boot parameters to switch off some memory if this system had more than 4GB RAM.

i5, i7 or Xeon CPU´s are great even for non threaded older programs because of their turbo boost technology = Dynamically and automatically maximizes server application performance by increasing core frequencies, enabling faster speeds for specific threads, and mega-tasking workloads.

-KILLE-