Spartans Home

Acoustic bubbles?

Ebden~SPARTA~

I've been gone the bulk of the summer, working on two different fishery acoustic projects. Most recently myself and another conducted exploratory surveys of several Newfoundland lakes for a larger inter-provincial project next year. Our goal was to get a general sense of boat-launch access to these remote lakes and reservoirs, and to 'feel out' the lakes themselves as appropriate candidates for fisheries acoustics.

We generally had a successful trip, with this curve ball in one of the reservoirs. We *think* the bottom contour of the lake in general indicates a previous sub-arctic bog, common in the area (rather than a large lake made larger by a power-dam 50 years ago). Bubbles? Methane gas vent in a bog? What in the world would it be, since we're generally positive it wasn't fish. The skewed echo further below indicates an echo track rising in the water column relatively rapidly.

post-516-083401000 1283185470_thumb.png

post-516-036445200 1283185593_thumb.png

Isn't this how the movie "Volcano" began?

I do not believe they are fish either. Air bubbles flatten out when rising so, my confirmation would be to take a gas meter and see if anything spikes. You also could have had divers but if there was no boat there, then no divers.

Isn't this how the movie "Volcano" began?

I do not believe they are fish either. Air bubbles flatten out when rising so, my confirmation would be to take a gas meter and see if anything spikes. You also could have had divers but if there was no boat there, then no divers.

We did have a boat, but no divers. We do have a camera and an ROV (if boss gives the OK), which we'll deploy next year.

Edited by Ebden~SPARTA~