Spartans Home

To TrackIR or to not TrackIR?

So I've been considering purchasing a TrackIR for a little while now, but Lighty's post re-inspired my interested in the product. Seeing as the only game I play I can even use it in is Arma 2, would you guys say its worth the investment? If so, whats the major difference(s) between TrackIR 4 and 5?

- JHunter

I use version 5, and I'm not to certain what the major differences between 5 and 4 are. However, you can still use the TrackIR with games that don't officially support it, especially with the 3rd-party add-ons that have been written for it. For example, two of the add-ons emulate keyboard and joystick inputs. For RTS/TBS games that use the arrow keys to scroll the screen, I use the keyboard emulator to allow me to do the same thing by turning my head left/right or looking up/down. And instead of using the camera software that supposedly adds TrackIR support to NFS Shift (it never worked for me), I use the joystick emulator with TrackIR to implement free-look.

So although you may not be able to use TrackIR with other shooters for independent head-movement, you're not limited to using it only with games that are officially supported.

Links for these 3rd-party add-on can be found in the Support section of NaturalPoint's website.

I have V 5 and i love it.

Difference between the 2s (4 and 5) is in the higher precision with a higher resolution. However i can t say the real life difference because I never tried the 4 before. I find the 5 resolution very high and precise, but you need to use it to get use to it.

Good thing the software allows to handle many aspects so you can set a comfy level of reaction to your moves.

I use it on Arma2 and on LockOn flight sim and is quite amazing.

SUGGESTION:

If you are using a BIG screen, this gadget will result uncomfortable. I am using a 37" at the moment and I got 2 major issues:

1- setting it on top of the screen is feasable but can get to an inclination that may result not good to set the right movements with your head

2- considering how big this monitor is, I already move my head just to look the entire screen, resulting in unvoluntary moves in game.

I decided i am downsizing my screen and i got a 26" which will be way better for playing games - I had the 37" because I was using it mostly for HD tv and blu-ray through the PC, but my config changed and I am moving the 37' in another room now.

With a normal monitor size I m gonna enjoy the trackIR way better

Could those unlim-budget types integrate Track IR with a monitor trio? You could limit further the turn ratios on track IR with a wider viewing angle- 155-180deg?

I may toy with freetrack, but only after everything else in this house is put to rights.

Software allows you to reduce your turn angle, so for sure you can adapt on a triio set.

If you get to the decision to use TIR wiith your trio set, let me know, I am very curios about that

I don't have a trio, but I might be able to run my older Dell 19"CRT and the 22" Samsung LCD together! It'll be bootleg, whatever I try to do.

I don t think this solution is good for a 2 monitor set. i don t really see how that may help.

I have doubts on how it works on a trio also, but it could be interesting to try.

On a correct trio set with eyefinity, you potentially already cover a good 90 degrees or a bit more in front of you and on ure sides, defeating the need of the TIR.

On the other hand, if you slightly move your head, you might enjoy a larger field of view. true also to say that all of the other degrees of freedom offered by the TIR would be welcome on a trio set, indeed. Tilting up and down, moving side by side and zooming in - out are still very useful on a trio set to have.