Spartans Home

Windows Vista 64 bit Guru help please

Hi Guys

I have Windows Vista 64 bit and two very annoying problems.

1. I am sick of everything I want to do (install something, copy-paste something, etc), I get a box that pops up and says Windows needs your permission to continue. I am the only user of this computer and do not need this...how can I turn it off totally?

2. My system is set to update itself when critical updates are needed. About 2 months ago, I got the little box that said Updates are ready to install". I clicked OK and it downloaded about 100 Mbs of stuff, then installed it, then rebooted...and then when windows starts, I get a message saying Windows update failed....the error messages are below...

Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB975550)

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800703F8

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

AND

Update for Windows Vista x64-based Systems (KB972145)

Installation Status: Failed

Update type: recommended

Install this update to resolve a compliance issue with Windows Media Player (that I don;t use) and Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

I also get error codes: Code 8007371C when it tries to install (KB978207) & KB976662)

If you guys could offer any help to fix these I would really appreciate it

Thanks

Stang out

oh how I love the UAC

if you turn it off you have to live with a small red shield with a X in it that stays at the system tray.

Right, so to turn it off

Control panel ----> User Accounts and Family Safety ----> User accounts

in Classic view its.... Control Panel -----> User Accounts

last option on the list, has a little shield next to it, " Turn User Account Control on or off " and just un-check the box (very similar to the win7 way of turning it off)

I have it off, sometimes programs lag behind or fail to launch the install because the prompt just never pops up or is slow

and Problem 2 looks abit more complicated, no luck finding much info about that error code but

http://support.microsoft.com/select/defaul...amp;c1=509&

if you select your version of Vista, seems as if you can send a support ticket/e-mail to microsoft about the window's update problem with the error code

Edited by Beta

Thanks Beta

I got the UAC turned off and I'll email Microsoft about the other error codes, as I don't find much on them either.

Thanks again

:D

Don't turn off the UAC! At least not normally. If you have a lot of pissing around with files in the program files type areas then sure, turn it off, but turn it back on when you're done.

Basically with Vista you have to learn to do stuff the way MS want you to do it. Put your files in Documents and stuff you do there won't need UAC. Once you've playing with settings and just want to use the PC, UAC isn't too annoying.

Well, if you ever need to mod files in the x86 directory it whines.

Also like I mentioned, I was installing this game (and its not the first time it happened) and it just hung there or never even showed up on the screen. I had to turn off UAC to even get the thing working.

but yes you *should* keep that security feature on even though as much as annoying it is

kinda makes me miss the good old su - comand :P