Spartans Home

What kind of games could this run?

Fenrir

Hey guys, finally got myself my own computer, a laptop at that :) I dont really know much when it comes to cards, processors etc so i dont suppose you can help me figure out what kind of games it can play please ? :P

Heres the laptop

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/inn...hibaShop/false/

Im thinking of 'trying' games like Arma2 tommorow for a whirl, not sure if they'd work though...and kind of worried that it would bugger it up if i did try and they failed miserably. Also, would i be wasting my time buying like games Modern warfare 2 for it ?

Im not too bothered if they dont work, i got the laptop mainly for school/college work, but it's always nice to check and find out :)

Also any suggestions on software i should put on it ? As i used to use my dads pc, i never really paid much attention to threads on these different software etc. So far, the only extra i've put on is Xfire, Teamspeak and AVG free 8.5 for my anti virus.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Not sure the GPU can cope but if you have a copy of a game you will not break anything by installing it mate, give it a go and if it runs go easy on us remember we are mostly old gits hehe.

Ah ok thanks mate :) Plus, dont worry...you have nothing to fear from the laptop yet ^^ I doubt i could do much with the touch pad :P Just wait until i get a mouse though.

of course...i still have my dads desktop though, that you guys are so familiar with :P

Good news/bad news:

As I have a VERY similar model Toshiba, I can tell you that, for fast action games, the integrated graphics is nowhere near up to the task. You won't even be able to run an older source engine game such as CS:S; or rather, it will run, but at an unplayable 5, maybe 10fps at best.

On the other hand, for undemanding casual games (think PopCap stuff) or games without fast action, you'd be fine. I run Civilization 4, Heroes of Might & Magic V, Galactic Civilzations 2, and Europa Universalis just fine on my machine; they're all turn-based games, and I can run them with mid-to-high graphic-level options. I also play things like Audiosurf, Quantz, World of Goo, and Peggle; again, all good game, not terribly demanding in graphics (although I do have to run Audiosurf at lower graphic detail options.)

The other good news is that, gaming aside, looks like you got a really great laptop! More than enough for anything you'll need to do at school.

Fenrir,

I am happy to hear you got a laptop. They are great tools beyond gaming. To answer your question about gaming on that laptop, I think what has been stated above is accurate. Older less demanding games will run on medium to low settings, but alas, Arma2 will probably chug chug. Do not be disappointed in an otherwise outstanding tool that you have acquired.

All the best.

Thanks guys :)

Had a look at the link, and for most games the two problems are the Graphics card and Windows 7 :P Im guessing pacthes can fix the second, and for the first, i might just install some games and try them on all low graphics first to see how they fair, and if they wor well still, i might increase the graphics to see how far i can push it:) I have Civ 4 on with medium graphics and that plays well but...that isnt very graphicly demanding anyway ^^