Spartans Home

Attn: Hunters

Sopris_EBDA

I am looking at the following rifle for deer hunting, which I am new too. From what I have read on websites and forums is that it is one of the most widely used rifles on the market and one of the best reputations.

My one question is I am stuck on either a 30-06 or a .308 winchester (7.62mm NATO) model.

The one reason I am thinking of the .308 winchester version is I might get an AR-15 that is a .308 win version, and I would like to have both just for ammo compatibility reasons, that way I don't have to buy 2 different sizes.

It is a Remington Model 700 SPS (Special Purpose Synthetic) 24", R3 Recoil Pad, 4rd's

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...0_SPS_specs.asp

Go with the 308. its what I shoot for accuracy. I also hand load my rounds which I have found to be way more accurate than manufactured rounds.

If you havent shot both, find a friend or coworker who is willing to let you shoot them.

It all boils down to which is going to shoot better for you. Either one will kill a deer with ease if shot accurately.

My next rifle will be an AR-15 style 308 with a custom heavy barrel. Not sure when I will get it, but it will be nice.

Another thing is, that I dont hunt with mounting the head in mind. If all I have is a head shot on a large deer, I will take it. I hunt for meat and the thrill of the hunt. I do not hunt for trophies or to keep anything other than the meat and maybe antlers if I need a new rattling set or if someone I know wants a set.

Also the whole deer population control situation is very important as well.

Best thing is truly understand why you are hunting how often you want to hunt and what you want to get out of it personally. Then you can base how much you want to spend on your hunting equipment.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

This is the optic I want to put on it or maybe swap it out of my bolt action 308.

I will have to wait a bit till I can get the money, or maybe sell a pistol or another rifle I have to get it.

It aint cheap, but its an awesome optic. A buddy of mine has the 30mm version of this and loves it. he has his on his Army M24 and can group within .8 inch at 950 yards. this was his best so far.

IOR 6-24X50 LR Side Focus 35MM MP8

http://www.impactguns.com/store/IOR-62450MP8.html

This kind of stuff is for when you really want to get into hunting and shooting. I like shooting far more than hunting. And I like precision shooting far more than going to the range and just putting rounds to paper.

Its all about trying everything and thn figuring out what you really enjoy about it. You really have to consider every aspect of shooting sports to figure out what you really enjoy.

Wether its the thrill of the hunt that gets you pumped, the sound of the weapon firing and hitting your target or getting down to the nitty gritty and realising you just want to hit the target exactly where and when you want to hit it.

I found that I dont like killing things as much as I though I did, so now when I do go hunting its probably as a buddy for safety reasons and if I take a shot I know that I am going to kill that deer cuz I am going to shoot it in the head. I also hate tracking deer and then hauling it out of the woods. That sux a big one. But when the deer is home I field dress and butcher it and use every ounce of meat I can so not to waste it. I even give a good bit away to neighbors.

I get my satisfaction out of hitting my target accurately and timely. From watching my target and learning its behaviors. If I dont get the shot, no big deal, the deer lives for another day.

I like to give the meat away because I know people will enjoy the friendship behind it and the message it sends.

Blah blah blah, I could go on and on.

But especially because you are new to hunting, you need to figure out what it is that you enjoy most about it and go from there.

I know guys who started out hunting deer and didnt like it but have now switched to turkey or duck hunting and love it so much better.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Thanks Halli, that is a great deal.

As for hunting, I am sure I will like it, and will probably have a little bit of regret for killing the deer. But not only will it be for the venison, but it is a great survival skill to learn. I have already bought a book on field dressing and butchering wild game which will help a great deal.

Plus as a survival skill, there is nothing better than knowing how to hunt and prepare not only deer but other wild game. You never know what our future looks like, and its better to know how to survive off of nature than be just the other typical city asshole that would panic because they have no idea on what to do to survive when starbucks closes down.

No I am not a religious person, and I don't believe the end of times is coming, I would just like to be prepared. (not intended to start a religious rant)