Spartans Home

Computer Safety

Is it safe to put my computer on the floor? I have pretty thin carpet here in my office.

Technically, yes, although I would advise using something--preferably a stand built for this specific purpose--to keep it at least two inches above the floor for a few reasons:

* Anything spilled on the ground nearby would be much less likely to get inside the case.

* BUGS--real life bugs, not programming code--would be less likely to make your PC their new home.

* No static build-up from direct contact with the carpet.

* Not the most likely scenario, but any sort of event that might flood your office will ruin pretty much ANYTHING on the floor, especially a computer. With my case, the PSU sits on the bottom, not the top; you can imagine how that would be a problem.

* 68% of women surveyed said that they prefer to date men who keep their PCs a minimum of four inches above the floor. 60% said they prefer at least six inches. 35% said they wouldn't settle for anything less than 10 inches. Only 5% said that inches don't matter and that it's how you use your PC that counts.

the majority of towers at least sit on the floor, especially in the workplace. i'm interested to know why you might think its a bad idea, especially mentioning your carpet thickness 0_o .

mine sits on the desk because it's easier to get to. re spillages, i always spill my drink on my desk rather than on the floor, so floor is safer over here :o . if you ever knocked the tower then it's much better falling on it's side rather than off the desk :D

* Not the most likely scenario, but any sort of event that might flood your office will ruin pretty much ANYTHING on the floor, especially a computer. With my case, the PSU sits on the bottom, not the top; you can imagine how that would be a problem.

checked out 6 pc in an office that had been flooded, you could see the water mark inside the case :D the psus were in the bottom of the case and all the pcs were switched on when the room was flooded. amazingly all the pcs worked after been left for a couple of days to dry out. i thought all Dells were evil, but they appear to be water proof :yes:

the majority of towers at least sit on the floor, especially in the workplace. i'm interested to know why you might think its a bad idea, especially mentioning your carpet thickness 0_o .

I thought there might be a heat/dust issue, that's why I mentioned the carpet. The front fan on my case has the intake vent on the bottom, so it would naturally suck air up from the carpet area. I thought having it on carpet too may have an affect on keeping it cool.

mine sits on the desk because it's easier to get to. re spillages, i always spill my drink on my desk rather than on the floor, so floor is safer over here :o . if you ever knocked the tower then it's much better falling on it's side rather than off the desk

LOL - i remember at the LAN, P knocked his PC and the wheels rolled off the edge of the desk and knocked his cup of tea! he was more worried about spilling the tea than the tower :lol: funny stuff.

My PC is on the floor 2, but its a wooden floor. So if anything its a little cooler.