Spartans Home

Amds new cpu 965 black edition

AMD announces new desktop quad-core Black Edition processor

IPB Image

AMD has announced a quad-core processor for desktops, the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

As an integral part of AMD's Dragon platform, the new processor features a stock frequency of 3.4GHz, DDR3 memory support and AMD OverDrive 3.0 technology to deliver an enthusiast-class performance that fits into value-based budgets, claimed AMD.

The CPU is available for a suggested system builder price of US$245

Yep, right there. And alot less expensive then the equal in a I7. man could have used that $750 of saved money else where Right?. Oh well money under the bridge. Don't worrie you will waste more.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Why pay more when you don't have to.

Intell 975 extream i7 $999 3.33ghz

Amd 965 Black edition $245 3.4 ghz

Did AMD cacth up? I think so.The choice is clear.

A fella could build the rest of the machine with the cost difference.

• 1 month later...
AMD announces new desktop quad-core Black Edition processor

The CPU is available for a suggested system builder price of US$245

I just purchased mine a week ago, and the price had already dropped to $215 USD (or it may have been at that price only with a promo code, but either way...)

I have it OCed to 3.8GHz on air cooling and one tiny voltage tweak, but it does heat up to 53C on full load. I'm not going to push it further unless I get a better aftermarket cooler; I'm looking at a couple of Zalmans right now. It idles just fine, though, at 42C. It's a beast, and AMD's Phenom II X4 series goes toe-to-toe with Intel when it comes to gaming performance; Intel DOES win when it comes to stuff like video encoding (yawn!) although not by a large enough margin to justify the price difference, at least not to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like Intel, and they're great innovators; the consumer CPU market wouldn't be where it is right now without them. I also like Ferrari, they make great cars and it would be fun to drive one to work every day, but legally I wouldn't be able to drive it any faster than I can drive my current vehicle that costs hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars less.

Ya I looked at the comparsion, and intell wins some and AMD winns some, So its up to what you like. I like AMD and will stay that way. But I don't like wasteing money. I know what im getting next time around. From what I hear intell stold the memory controllers from AMD and put it in the extream thats the reasion why its good. But right now my 6400 black edition can hang with best of them, so not in a big hurry to upgrade yet. Plus I heard you can't do alot of fine controlls on the intell like you can on the AMD.