Spartans Home

Help with ARMA2 Install

GrumpyOldMan

Ok, I downloaded ARMA2 and went to do the install, after a bit I get an error message "Cannot install DirectX" and when I try to launch it I get this error...

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

C:/bla,bla,bla arma.exe

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

bla,bla,bla close

Doesn't sound to good does it, already tried the uninstall and reinstall :(

Any help greatly appreciated

Grumpy.... really grumpy now lol

Does your machine meet the minimum req's to install and play?

Yes, 2.4 gig duo core, 4 gigs ram 8800gt vid card. I had trouble earlier in the week getting the demo and an install of AA3 to work, was getting errors then as well... such as AA3.exe has encountered a problem and will close, but a change of vid card drivers seems to have cured that

Thanks for the help

Link

Morgan ran into something similar and found if he installed the most current version of DX 9.0c all was right with the world. Also worked for me and several others as well. You might check with Morgan for more detailed info.

Good Luck.

The problem I was having was with the DirectX audio file and wasnt really related to this.

Spent some time on Google researching the error message you reported Grump... and it seems like you have:

1. A trojan or virus or malware. (May be part of a malware/spyware package that is on your system or was actually detected by your system but incompletely removed).

OR

2. Corrupt windows files. Microsoft acknowledges this error message and after a very very long procedure of checking registry entries, the autoexec.bat and other areas of the operating system they suggest re-installing windows.

I did a search for "NTVDM CPU" and found many possible instances of causes/fixes for this. Might be worth re-formatting and re-installing Windows as that seems to have cured the issue in both instances above.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Morgan~SPARTA~

Link

Morgan ran into something similar and found if he installed the most current version of DX 9.0c all was right with the world. Also worked for me and several others as well. You might check with Morgan for more detailed info.

Good Luck.

Thanks , when I run the directx setup it says an up to date version of Directx is already installed and no installation is necessary

The problem I was having was with the DirectX audio file and wasnt really related to this.

Spent some time on Google researching the error message you reported Grump... and it seems like you have:

1. A trojan or virus or malware. (May be part of a malware/spyware package that is on your system or was actually detected by your system but incompletely removed).

OR

2. Corrupt windows files. Microsoft acknowledges this error message and after a very very long procedure of checking registry entries, the autoexec.bat and other areas of the operating system they suggest re-installing windows.

I did a search for "NTVDM CPU" and found many possible instances of causes/fixes for this. Might be worth re-formatting and re-installing Windows as that seems to have cured the issue in both instances above.

Your mileage may vary.

Wow, you're right, googling NTVDM gives a million different reasons for it. I am running spyware/virus scans at the moment.

I really hope I don't have to re-format as I really hate doing that

Its fixed and working so lets :party:

My sincere :thanks: to all who tried to help. It ended up being something weird and stupid, I got to looking at the files and there were too many 1KB files, check the size of the install = 4.35 Gig... well that ain't right :o

Long story short uninstall, delete, clean registry etc, then use 7zip to unzip the archive and everything is :allgood:

The version on the opening screen says 1.02.58127 is this up to date or do I need to apply the patch, I am assuming the D2D download was up to date.

So, what do I need to get, tweak etc to be ready for tonight?

Grumpy.... hell, I'm almost smiling lol

Terrific news Grump... the D2D version 'should' be up to date though Cylawyer had a situation where one or two of his graphics options would not be accessible until he had patched up with a special release 1.02 patch. Perhaps Halli or someone else could post the link to the special patch.

Basically they released patch 1.02 and then re-released a slightly updated 1.02 patch with a graphics fix in it. I never had any issues with the D2D version but some have and this solution worked for them.

Otherwise sounds like you are good to go.

Congrats!

Oh I am special, I have a diffrent version to you both. Please check for me, and see if they have remembered to update the .exe header to reflect the new version.

Just right click on Arma2.exe, click details

I have version 58064

IPB Image

Im thinking thats the original patch 1.02 release before the graphics fix was added. You might also want to try the special 58134 update (even tho it says you are already at 1.02 it might actually work its magic for you too).

EDIT:

IPB Image

Edited by Morgan~SPARTA~

Hey Med!

Quick tip re: the special patch. When you install you will get a message stating you are already at version 1.02 but it will work its magic anyway and the AA will be accessible.

If I do this right, there should be a link to take it from 1.02.58127 to 1.02.58134

102 Linky

Yeah, I just updated my 1.02 patch and things are working much better for me.

NOTED! Thanks!