Spartans Home

Coop Mission -- Castle Day

coop_castle_day.bundle

Heres a link form my FTP to download it.

VERY IMPORTANT: Also when installing this map, you must remove the original castle_day.bundle from the folder before starting the game as leaving them both in will render a script stack error.

Map by Red Storm Entertainment, Adapted to GRAW 2 by Biro, Mission Scripting by RPGHard

-- Mission Notes --

On initial insertion I was engaged my multiple OPFOR and killed twice by unseen enemy. My hope soon disappeared. I finally found the enemy targets and returned fire leaving two enemy KIA. The spawn was secure... for the moment.

My next thought was to gain intelligence, anything was better than nothing. I looked at the mini map but it was a blank gray screen and the same for the large map. (A big difference and detrament in game play from the previous castle_day.bundle we have been playing.) No intel and only one mission objective, secure the compound. Sounds easy enough.

I began moving west engaging enemy targets with my suppressed M416. Many returned fire but luckily missed. They returned fire for the last time. Using the hills and small boulders to my advantage, I could stay in relative cover and concealment using the skyline as a backdrop to silhouette the outlines of possible infantry soldiers.

After clearing the perimeter of the compound I breach the south west wall taking down at least two targets while on the move. I approached the corner structure, gaining access to a ramp leading to the parapets. From this elevated advantage I shot multiple enemy targets, and received minor injuries from return fire.

Once I had worked my way around to the north side of the castle wall, I could see multiple targets inside the windows of the southeast building. At first shot, I missed, alerting the mercenary of his incoming fire. He crouched and shot me fatally. Though, he shot through the wall beneath the center window. I saw the muzzle flash as I was getting hit. It must have been a magic wall.

After re-spawning, I found that dirty rat bastard and shot him in the back. Shooting a Medic is like hitting a guy with glasses on.

I then searched for his remaining buddies inside the walls of the castle. After clearing the first objective and controlling the interior of the structure, the time had flown by and night fell quickly. The moon was so bright it rendered my nvg's useless. (It took a few minutes and a couple respawns for my eyes to adjust to the darkness of the map. I even turned out the lights in my office to see better.)

I then realized that multiple enemy, approx. 60, had spawned outside of the wall and would now be coming in to try and take the castle back. They almost succeeded. 10 re-spawns later and a whole lot of fowl language, the second objective, Hold the area, was accomplished and it was now time for ex-filtration and extraction.

Morning had very quickly come and the fog rolled in, the subtle lighting of the morning sunrise again made it not only difficult to see but limited my viewing distance to mere meters. The road to extraction became a CQB and mid-range gun battle. Many firefights resembled the OK Corral.

The few remaining squad sized enemy elements were quickly dispatched. And Extraction was achieved. I wish command had dropped in a MULE to rearm and change weapons as needed.

-- END MISSION NOTES --

Okay so much for my spontaneous creative writing. All in all the mission was very interesting a difficult. Adding a Mule or two and some enemy APCs and a couple Tanks would make it way more of a challenge, and something to rival Mission Rattenkrieg from OGR. Playing this map is no challenge having beaten the DAM Map (with lots of help) multiple times prior.

Cool notes are the changing weather and time of day pattern. Very cool but kinda unrealistic. The day turns to night instantly as does night to dawn. a gradual change over a minute or two would be much better but I do not know if this is possible.

The mini map and the large map are non-existent leaving tactical game play and coordinates out on the wind for the time being. I am sure this will be fixed sooner or later as most players will find this less than desirable.

The deal with the tango crouching in the south east house and shooting through the wall totally happened, but is nothing new to Ghost Recon. Just watch it if you're in his sights. Shoot first and you'll live. It was a rifleman and not a sniper. The muzzle flash and full auto easily gave him away. Good luck.

My synopsis is that this is a great first go at a mission for this map. The difficult part about scripting a mission for this map is dreaming up dynamic objectives with realistic obstacles. It will be very interesting to see the progression of missions for this classic and yet newly modernized, castle map.

Thanks to GySgt~SPARTA~ for his help testing this mission. Awesome battle-bud, devil dog, and wingman.

+Medic+~SPARTA~

good write up. I have never been able to see the day/night converstion on this coop mission. At about what time point does it happen?

Also, I usually just throw a nade into the little house and listen to them scramble:) or at the very least a smoke nade and just go in there with guns blazing. What I like most about this map is that you can use every type of tactical maneuver(sp?) you want, be it sniping, up/down coverage, clearing a house, ect.

The objective triggers are set on you killing all of the enemy attached in the script for that objective. Its like a "Secure area" objective from OGR, the game doesnt recognize objective accomplishment until those tangos are down. That being said the enemy reacts and will come to where ever you are firing, making it a little difficult to find them sometimes, I played one were the last guy was out side of the wall and it immediately spawned a freakin regiment right in front of me.

The night to day change happens when you kill the last guy for the first objective and when the next batch of enemy spawn in, the night to dawn/fog change happens when you kill the last guy from the second objective.

Its kinda weird. But its also cool that RPGHard was able to do it that way

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Yep, so as it stands:

S1: Multiplayer Team vs Team

S2: MP COOP Team vs AI, regular maps

S3: MP COOP Team vs AI, custom maps

I do wish that Snakpit V7 would be put on instead of V5 that was removed.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

• 2 weeks later...

COOP_CASTLE_DAY.bundle has been updated to Version 2.0

Supposedly RPGHARD has fixed the minimap and the load screen map.

We should try this out and then upload it if it is good.

Link here: http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...view&id=712

Remember to remove the first one before adding the new one to your custom_levels folder.