Spartans Home

Google Maps and Your Privacy

So my parents were goofing around the other day on Google Maps and showed me something interesting...

http://maps.google.com/

You can go onto Google Maps in many cities across the US and, pushing the "Street View" option at the top of the map, you can see street level views of many addresses. This may include your house, your car, or your liscense plate if you had proper image enhancing software. I then saw an article about a lawsuit against Google from people who owned a private driveway, but the vehicle taking a photo went specifically to shoot their house.

Story: http://kdka.com/consumer/Google.maps.Aaron.2.692843.html

Being a photographer, I understand the rights to take photos of a building from a public road, but then I got to looking around and saw people as well being photographed, and that kinda set me back a little. THEN I saw something that really made me kinda step back and say "hmm..."

Going through my neighborhood, my wife and I were "driving" down our hill, when we saw another truck coming the same way. Sandra got excited and said "hey look, another car's coming, I wonder if it'll show it..." That car actually turned out to be my truck. WITH ME INSIDE of course, and a picture taken from about 5 feet plastering my mug all over with out me knowing. I'm not all that concerned, but I have to admit I'm a little disturbed. For one, I wonder why I didn't notice it, and secondly, I wonder what some of the bad things someone could use this for.

Look up 3764 Warner Drive - Knoxville, TN turn around and you'll see..... (this is not my address, but where my truck is)

What do you'all think?

lmao Medic! That's my trusty old S10 that i've had for almost 10 years. It may be ugly, but I haven't had a car payment in 5yrs. :)

Yeah, it's nice not hacing a car payment. Both mine and my wife's vehicles are paid off. They are an 2001 Ford Taurus SE for my wife and a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe for me.

"A western Pennsylvania couple sued Google Inc., saying pictures of their home that appear on the Web site's "Street View" feature violated their privacy, devalued their property and caused them mental suffering. "

Mental suffering they were, but not caused by google if you ask me..... Oh man how far can people go......

If my wife was on the picture in the backyard sunbathing or so I'd understand you wouldn't like the pic all over the internet.... but devaluating your property, mental suffering geez......havent they got something more important to worry about hunger in Africa or so..... Some people are so twisted in their own world they don't see trouble in their right proportions anymore.....

"A western Pennsylvania couple sued Google Inc., saying pictures of their home that appear on the Web site's "Street View" feature violated their privacy, devalued their property and caused them mental suffering. "

Mental suffering they were, but not caused by google if you ask me..... Oh man how far can people go......

If my wife was on the picture in the backyard sunbathing or so I'd understand you wouldn't like the pic all over the internet.... but devaluating your property, mental suffering geez......havent they got something more important to worry about hunger in Africa or so..... Some people are so twisted in their own world they don't see trouble in their right proportions anymore.....

Yeah, I have a feeling that was something their lawyer dreamed up.