Spartans Home

NTLDR Problem, USB "2" not found .. HELP PLZ

Inimigo~SPARTA~

Hey Guys,

Have some problems here since y'day.

SITUATION:

It all started yesterday when I was putting some files from/to my external HDD. It was taking soo long that I realized my USB ports aren't being recognized as USB 2.0 --> too slow !

What I did was looking for updated drivers, but found out that they 'don't exist' as SP2 for Win XP already has them for you.

Fine, I went to look and messed in the BIOS (Note to self: NEVER DO THAT AGAIN !). Result: it doesn't recognize my C-drive anymore: error message "NTLDR missing".

Since a while (probably Brazil) I always read, upon starting up, that "boot.ini" wasn't found ... but it always started up fine, so never gave too much attention.

Have googled it up, but can only find old files, for which I'm not sure if they will work.

System specs below. Please anyone help out in these issues:

1. USB ports are not recognized as USB 2.0

2. SATA (C:) drive doesn't boot anymore (no, no disk or diskette in any of the drives :P)

3. SATA (C:) drive is (was) shown as a device in Windows that I can "Safely Remove" ?!

SPECS: (TAKE YOUR LAUGH)

Asus 939 PCI-X A8N-E Nforce 4

Amd Athlon 64 3500+ 939 boxed Venice

Asus EAX 1800XL/2DHTV, 256Mb

[4x]DDR 512 PC3200

2xIDE HD's + 1xSATA HD

Additional info:

The SATA drive I had bought back in Brazil and installed it. It's possible that since then the USB ports weren't being recognized anymore as USB 2, but since my wife had burnt my external HD ... I didn't really care.

I want to avoid to physically disconnect my other drives to make it recognize the "C:" (SATA).

Thanks already for usual help.

take a look here Inimigo: -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

iv had this error before and for me its just repairing my boot.ini file.

good luck.

Also on the SATA and being able to "safely remove" I asked Sneaky about this upon my build and he confirmed it says it on all SATA drives even though they are internal. Nothing to worry about.

IDE's dont give you that option

SATA's do.

Edited by Krambo~SPARTA~

I've never tried, but what if my wife (fore example) DOES "safely remove" the SATA (c:) drive?

Then I'm lost right?

As for the link, thanks ... that's more or less what I would try (although mentioned link refers to Win 2000).

Any other suggestions are more than welcome, sothat I can take a look right before I leave work tonight and try it.

will let you all know.

ANOTHER Q: How do I make a USB bootable? Damn IT here don't give me permission to format anything, so I can't try it.

All the best,

Michael

Thanks for the replies. Meanwhile I started up Windows again ... Solution was easier than I thought it was.

BIOS, Harddisks ... Select the SATA (C: - bootable drive) to be the 1st one and PRONTO.

Anyway, now I still have to figure out how to get my USB ports to be USB 2 ...

Am re-installing SP 2 and hope it will work, as the only solutions I was able to find y'day and today is that USB 2.0 drivers ONLY come with SP2.

Here goes nothing!