Spartans Home

Changing ISP

custard~SPARTA~

We use Talktalk. Apart from 3 weeks of hell last year while they upgraded our speed, I would recommend them. However I believe you've tried them & weren't impressed if I'm right.

We've found though that if you use a router rather than the modem they give you it seems to run much better.

Ta mate but I had a horrendous time with Talk Talks customer service ain't going back there but I would say they are better n Pipex.

Don't have cable I am a pheasant in the rural south boo. I thought about Virgin until Rocky told me what happened in bonnie Scotland recentlly. I'm glad nobody has said BT suks (yet).

dont get me started on BT!!!!!!!!

no jus kiddin, my grandad has it and he's had no problems from the beginning. touch wood.

The modem/router they give you is toss though.

At the end of the day its just up to your experiences mate. 1 person may say its awful stay away, when the next might say its brilliant and have a very stable connection.

Depends how close you are to your exchange.

check this out: - http://www.dslzoneuk.net/

shows you how close you are to your exchange, what your line is capable of and what ISP's are available to you.

Edited by Krambo~SPARTA~

I agree if you can get it, Cable, Virgin media (ex NTL/ Telewest) are offering up

to 20Mbit and in may/ June 08 all XL packages will be pushed to 40Mbit.

Jeez, Where I live, I can't get cable (long story about Milton Keynes and it's 'modern' telecoms system), and i'm so far from the telephone exchange i'm lucky to get 512Kb!

K

1 more note. stay away from ORANGE. I cant stress this enough. they have by far the WORST customer services you have ever heard in your life. Save yourself the money and the time.

They basically admitted to me that they couldnt provide me with BB.

switched to SKY BB - job done.

Anyway this moan isnt helping, check the site I posted in my reply up there ^^^^^

Edited by Krambo~SPARTA~

milton keynes no cable wtf.

sorry to hear that.

another thing with adsl is that fact of to get best performance you want the router/modem or modem plugged into the primary box. It does make a difference i had to get my mate from warminster who works for bt to come up here to change my boxes around. :D

sorry to hear that.

another thing with adsl is that fact of to get best performance you want the router/modem or modem plugged into the primary box. It does make a difference i had to get my mate from warminster who works for bt to come up here to change my boxes around. :D

I could change mine to the primary I have a bungaloo wiring is a doddle ta Joker.

Gonna keep my dlink router Krambo but I was gonna try to use the modem thingy with a phone on it.

sorry to hear that.

Don't get me started on this :angry: MK has 'analogue' cable with 19 tv channels. can't get digital cable via Virgin, so you have to get sky, however, the block i live on isn't allowed individual mini dishes, so i'm in the process of trying to get ia communual one sorted :angry: bit off topic sorry, but, i could get on a whole new kind of soapbox whilst ranting about this!

Anyhow, back OT. I had an issue with BT and their home Hub for about 3/4 weeks last year of intermittent service outages. One of the times i was on the phone to them, they advised removing the front cover of the primary socket and connecting the filter directly to the test socket. I dunno what difference it makes, but they didn't tell me to put it back together so that's where it's still connected.

By the way Custard, regarding the BT homehub, every couple of weeks, mine seems to need a power down to reset it. After it's powered back up again, it takes about 2 hours to settle down and provide a stable connection again. Thought it best to let you know.

This can be a pain if it's my peak usage time, but generally I have a stable connection with BT.

K