Spartans Home

3D Printers

• 2 weeks later...

Well all that would be cool. Except one would have to have a printer and a furnace to fire the parts and the time involved would a take along time. misewell just get A METAL LATH AN MILLING MACHINE AND MAKE IT YOURSELF, take less time and probley procuce a better machine according to the process mentioned in the vids above

We should go back to the days of the old west, where every one carryed a gun and if you raised a stink someone would shoot them down and it would be over. Every one would not have to worry about the unarmed population, and if someone attacked a school they would be shot down and its over. crime would fall off to zero.

More on this printer thing, It shows makeing a AR lower reciever in plastic. The AR15 lower is made of Aluminum, or titainmum. it is the only controlled part of the gun haveing the serial number on it. Plastic would not work due to the stresses of the recoil and forces of the action operating appon it. Now maybe carbon fiber would work, it is as strong as steel and can be drilled and threaded and or machined.

Some areas would have to be increased in size to hold the stresses.

One could reproduce a lower in plastic, then use it to make a mold. then pour melted 6061 T6 aluminum in the mold, but then some machineing or fine fitting would be required to fitt. That would still require the use of a foundry to melt and pour molten metels.

I think that going down to the good old metel supply store and picking up a 2"x10"x10" block of 6061 t6 and chucking that up on a good cnc mill and about 4 hours have a M16 lower in no time. The difference between the 15 lower and a 16 lower is the area behind the hammer is wider on the 16 and 1/16"th hole above the saftey swich for the auto sear. If one is going thru all the trouble to make a controled part with no serail# then misewell go all the way and make a 16 lower. But don't get caught doing it. it would draw the black helicopters and janet reno in for certian.

I wouldent waste my time with a AR15 ide be doing m240 or a m1919.

Hows that gun control going?

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

More on this printer thing, It shows makeing a AR lower reciever in plastic. The AR15 lower is made of Aluminum, or titainmum. it is the only controlled part of the gun haveing the serial number on it. Plastic would not work due to the stresses of the recoil and forces of the action operating appon it. Now maybe carbon fiber would work, it is as strong as steel and can be drilled and threaded and or machined.

Some areas would have to be increased in size to hold the stresses.

One could reproduce a lower in plastic, then use it to make a mold. then pour melted 6061 T6 aluminum in the mold, but then some machineing or fine fitting would be required to fitt. That would still require the use of a foundry to melt and pour molten metels.

I think that going down to the good old metel supply store and picking up a 2"x10"x10" block of 6061 t6 and chucking that up on a good cnc mill and about 4 hours have a M16 lower in no time. The difference between the 15 lower and a 16 lower is the area behind the hammer is wider on the 16 and 1/16"th hole above the saftey swich for the auto sear. If one is going thru all the trouble to make a controled part with no serail# then misewell go all the way and make a 16 lower. But don't get caught doing it. it would draw the black helicopters and janet reno in for certian.

I wouldent waste my time with a AR15 ide be doing m240 or a m1919.

Hows that gun control going?

They are coming out with newer stronger materials that the 3D printers can use, the video Noscream posted with cody holding the AR explains that. I think the reason that he is using an AR as the platform is because of the National Gun Debate and how all the AR variants have been been flagged as "AN ASSAULT RIFLE" like its going to jump out of the case slap a mag in its self and go on a rampage.

Looks like Cody got a nylon one to work. very interesting! but thats just the lower reciever not the barrle and upper. still interesting

Athlon, I had/have the same concerns regarding the parts you mention such as the receiver group, barrel etc.

Do you think materials such as perhaps ceramics for example have, or ever will, reach the reliability point of metal?

And what about springs?

I think that Carbon fiber will work just fine for the reciever. but the upper, and barrel will still have to be metel to hold the pressures involved.

That 556mm or .223 remengton varment round is a high performance little devel. a 55 or 60 grain bullet with 25 grains of powder behind it reaching chamber pressures of 50,000 psi or c,u,p pressures or more. Plastic will never hold those pressures in that wall thickenss. Springs will still have to be spring steel.

carbon fiber is finely ground powder mixed in apoxie and cured in a mold under a vacuume. And i would still thicken the areas where the link pin and buttstock attach. but possible to be done. the reciever trigger group parts will still have to be steel due to the heat expansion rate if in carbon will jam up and the sear edges will wear off fast becouse it is still not hard enough to withstand the constant meshing of parts rubbing together.

Did you see the AK 47s fireing in slow motion at 3.33 in the machine gun shoot vid i linked to? You can actually see the barrels wiggleing as the bullets exited. After seeing that, i wouldent own a AK. Very cheaply made.

You beat me to it XJ.

If you can 3D print the bulk of the components, including the receiver housing where the s/n is stamped, then you can buld an entire platform with a few 'replacement' parts.

The legality of it all will be lost on a certain element I would venture to guess.

And I'm with you Athlon on the AK but I know people that enjoy them so to each their own I suppose. It's just not for me. All barrels have a bit of whip to them do they not? But that looks excessive on the vid. Not sure. There are a variety of reasons the AK is not one of my favorites but it certainly has made the rounds and will continue to do so imho. And thanks for the insight on the materials.

Edited by Xross

I liked them to untill i saw that. But only good to 150 yards if that.

Here is a good vid showing the m16 reciever group and how all that works, so one can understand why the upper has more pressure on it.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.newscient...man-livers.html

Edit: Nice video Athlon. Off to see if they have similar vids for other platforms.

Hey print me one of those new livers up I'm gonna finish this handle of JD real quick lmao

Amazing!

Hey print me one of those new livers up I'm gonna finish this handle of JD real quick lmao

Amazing!

I was thinking more along the lines of printing up a few gal friends with their own homes/cars/bank accounts and no vocal chords or 'attitudes'.

On second thought vocal chords would be fine, as long as they're programmable.

Is that wrong?

:MSNWINK: