Spartans Home

In preparation of ARMA 3 -- I need a new gaming machine!

Phisher~SPARTA~

Alright, so with the news that ARMA 3 (alpha) will be playable soon it is time to get a new gaming PC. I'm at work and don't have my current PC specs on me but the machine is almost 4 years old so I don't think it is worth upgrading.

I'm not a build-it-yourself guy so I prefer a pre-built rig.

EDIT: New build below

Any thoughts, other recommendations?

I am looking between $1,000 and $1,250 and already have a PC monitor that will do the trick.

Edited by Phisher~SPARTA~

Honestly phisher, i was not a build it myself type of guy, but I bought all the shit together and its like a puzzle, hard at first, but there's only one way for it to be assembled. Plus, building it yourself will save you more money, allowing you to go for a better build.

I would not go AMD as well. For graphics cards they are alright, I have a ati 7850, and it performs well, but from what i've heard, amd processors are still behind their intel equivalent. So I would go with intel if I were you.

Sweet Jesus don't use Digital Storm! They had great shipping, but the quality of parts they used are shit! I would just buy all the components from the website and put them together yourself. I am attempting my first pc build soon for a friend. It really isn't that hard, if you aren't overclocking

Hah, I copy pasted from that guys build.

Here is where I am at (with everything from Newegg)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gaq9

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gaq9/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gaq9/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($290.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.55 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($380.04 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($100.17 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1370.69

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-26 16:18 EST-0500)

Honestly phisher, i was not a build it myself type of guy, but I bought all the shit together and its like a puzzle, hard at first, but there's only one way for it to be assembled. Plus, building it yourself will save you more money, allowing you to go for a better build.

I would not go AMD as well. For graphics cards they are alright, I have a ati 7850, and it performs well, but from what i've heard, amd processors are still behind their intel equivalent. So I would go with intel if I were you.

As an AMD fan I have to say that Skaz is correct.

My recommendation is as follows...

Intel i7 Main CPU and compatible MB (AsROCK and MSI are really good choices but it is hard to go wrong)

SSD drive (100GB)for the OS

Standard HDD for your games (you can salvage that from your old system if you wish)

16GB of RAM (you can cut this to 8 if you need too. I recommend Corsair)

1000 watt power supply MODULAR (this will ensure that you don't cause an undervolt situation when under a load and you will have room for upgrades)

Sealed water cooler for the main CPU. The best one on the market is the corsair H100 (imo)

if you have a case to put this in then great. if not I recommend the corsair obsidian 550

I built a system for my dad simuliar to the list above. BOOT time from a cold start is 5 - 7 seconds fully up and ready to go. System temps idle at room temp and the processor never exceeded 130 during testing (18hours of Prime95 torchure)

And just for grins add a blueray burner if you can.

Edit: Video Card... I have a EVGA GTX560 and I am happy but ATI makes some good cards too(I have owned both) I recommend a card with atleast 2GB of RAM.

Edited by Steel~Sparta~

if you dont plan on overclocking, do not bother with an aftermarket cpu cooler or an overclockable cpu

Skaz and I disagree on this point. I think that you can NEVER have too much cooling... then again I do live in Texas.

Oh and have a look at the prices @ Microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/

They you usually as good or better then the prices @ newegg

Edited by Steel~Sparta~

if you dont plan on overclocking, do not bother with an aftermarket cpu cooler or an overclockable cpu

Personally, I think that unless you plan on going with liquid-cooling, stay away from the Corsair Obsidian cases. They're really made for liquid cooling, and have horrible horrible air flow (in my opinion). But your mileage may vary.

Also, go Intel/NVidia. I know some people are adamant about AMD, but you WILL have far less issues with Intel and Nvidia than with AMD. I guarantee it.

Though in all honesty, unless you truly care about performance, just about anything in that price range will suit you well enough.

Oh, and looking at your list, I would swap out the Plextor SSD for a Crucial M4 of the same size (should be almost identical price). And possibly the PSU for a Corsair PSU. But you can probably get by with the Plextor/Seasonic as well.

Personally, I think that unless you plan on going with liquid-cooling, stay away from the Corsair Obsidian cases. They're really made for liquid cooling, and have horrible horrible air flow (in my opinion). But your mileage may vary.

Also, go Intel/NVidia. I know some people are adamant about AMD, but you WILL have far less issues with Intel and Nvidia than with AMD. I guarantee it.

I agree... the corsair cases are designed for liquid cooling. Without it they are not as effective.

Both Intel and AMD have there Qualitys I have been looking at a new AMD 8 core to replace my AMD 6 core i have no idea why I need all that Power. the 6 core i have not even opened it up full throttle.

Everything should be delivered today (except the SSD of course). So I think I am going to build it all tonight just so I know everything is in working order. Probably put a couple games on there and then just format it again on Monday night and change the boot drive to the SSD. A bit of a pain in the ass but I don't have the patience to wait until Monday to fire it up.

EDIT: Better solution. Going to just go buy an SSD tonight and return the one that gets shipped. So should be good to go later tonight!

Edited by Phisher~SPARTA~

Everything should be delivered today (except the SSD of course). So I think I am going to build it all tonight just so I know everything is in working order. Probably put a couple games on there and then just format it again on Monday night and change the boot drive to the SSD. A bit of a pain in the ass but I don't have the patience to wait until Monday to fire it up.

EDIT: Better solution. Going to just go buy an SSD tonight and return the one that gets shipped. So should be good to go later tonight!

What did you get?