Spartans Home

HDD Failure Plans

Elvis~SPARTA~

Had a windows f-up on my HDD after an update, so despite it being a SSD, I had to re-install.

Being a fan of redundant safety measures, here is my inventory of gear:

Acronis True Image: Have an image of my boot drive while working well stored on 2 different backup drives

Windows 7 repair disk: Created from Windows 7 Help

Windows 7 Install USB: Can install to a HDD faster than from a CD should I need to re-install: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_install_windows_7_usb_key http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/install-windows-7-with-a-usb-memory-key

Rescatux: A bootable linux CD that can repair windows boot

Xubuntu: A bootable USB key that I can use if all my HDD fail (probably to find appropriate mental health professionals)

PMagic Rescue Disk: A bootable Linux CD that can do some partition work

My files on HDD are backed up online to Mozy, and on a separate removeable HDD that goes in a fire safe here.

Stupid breakable contraptions!

Take it you had no backup?

Cheaper to :

1. Run Mirror RAID (software or hardware)

2. just clone your HD to a second HD every week, then disable that clone HD in the Windows OS.

Either method, if HD fails, you move to mirror on the raid method or swap the sata

plugs on the clone HD for the main & dump the main.

I use the clone method, basically clone my Main boot HD over to a spare drive & then disable it.

Oh well, when it comes to back up and recover, I think every one has thir favorites.

I use Easeus Todo Backup (free) to backup OS partition and a selection of important folders from Data partition to the Network storage on my HTPC.

I use Ultimat Boot CD for Windows, based on PE Bart to troubleshoot issues

Also have a Linux Boot whit a few tools and g-Part, excellent partiton tool.

Then a USB stick with Win 7 Ultimate ready to roll in case of full install.