Spartans Home

Cat 6 home network

Ebden~SPARTA~

snowshoe's post reminded me of what I keep forgetting to ask.

What advantages would I see using cat-6 patch cables over 5e from a 10mbit modem to a linksysE3000 router, then another cat-6 patch from the router to machine (both cables under 6', and the newer type RJ/coax cable feeding modem).

Is it worth the fuss?

i use a lot of CAT 6 in my line of work.... the answer for you is "it depends." If you are transfering LARGE amounts of data (pics taken with a high MP camara, streaming movies from one computer to another, anything that would stress your 100Ms connection) then you would benifit. If you are looking for higher speed on the interwebs then you will likely NOT see any improvement as the average of the internet itself is around 10Ms (note that this can vary from country to country and even between localities).

My question to you is why do you think that you need one?

snowshoe's post reminded me of what I keep forgetting to ask.

What advantages would I see using cat-6 patch cables over 5e from a 10mbit modem to a linksysE3000 router, then another cat-6 patch from the router to machine (both cables under 6', and the newer type RJ/coax cable feeding modem).

Is it worth the fuss?

Unless you are actually running any part of your network at above 100Mbit/s then no. I doubt the modem to linksys is higher than 100Mbit/s. If it is free you could use it, but it won't make a difference.

The available bandwidth (in real life terms) for Cat5 is 100mhz whereas Cat6 is 200mhz. You can get Cat5 rated higher but this is a benchmark test using testers and very rarely performs up to these speeds in real world applications.

Put it this way, Cat5 is reaching it's top end around the 1gb network speed, so you probably won't notice any difference whatsoever at the moment. If you want to future proof then hell yeah, go for Cat6 but your Router and Modem will probably need upgrading to take advantage of this :thumbsup:

Ebden,

I am afraid you answered your question on your own there.

"The Atlantic seems to be the biggest bottleneck. Hard to beat it."

If you suffer for reduced speed due to your location, thre is nothing a home network can do.

You might want to do a very simple test. Connect your PC for a while straight to your modem and test the speed you get. That is THE BEST YOU CAN HAVE.

All of the rest of your home network cannot go faster than your modem itself, so... check it and ... you will see there is not much you can do.