Spartans Home

Minecraft - Well if you don't know...

MedicSN6

Yeah, I said it! Minecraft. I know, I know. The 16 bit graphics in a 3D world suck and the game is as about as tedious as watching someone else needle point, but it's FUN and oh so addictive.

Yesterday was my first foray into the World of Minecraft, to steal and bastardize a game title. The first thing I realized, having no concept of the game other than how much people are raving over it, is that it is huge. Even though the map take but a few seconds to load completely, it is expansive. There are limits though. Special stones that you can not mine, line the map and let you know when too far has become far enough. Put it this way, you could spend the next five years of your life playing in one persistent map and never explore it all. This includes underground of course.

My first day playing the game was interesting. I spawned in the middle of what reminded me of the Rocky mountains and from there I set off to high ground. I tried to get a feel of the land and possibly find a place to make camp, at least for the night. I scanned the horizon and finally found something that looked fairly interesting, a red waterfall. Red? but all of the water in the world is blue... Volcano? Hell yeah, home sweet home. I made my way to it.

After finding a sappling to cut down some trees, I made some stacks of wood. From the wood I made a work bench and some sticks. This work bench is where I will make the majority of my tools, but I have to find shelter for the night. So I began to dig out a little cave. Just big enough for myself, my workbench and a storage box.

As it began to get dark I found myself out in the field below my Home-cano clearing the last few trees. It gets dark quickly around here, so I knew I'd have to quit soon or build a fire. How the hell do I do that though? Wait, what was that? What the shit? A zombie? Skeletons?? And they're attacking me??? RUN AWAY! I ran back to the only beam of light I knew, the volcano-fall. I jumped in my little cave and blocked closed the doorway. What shitty day. Now I know how the characters of Lost felt.

The next morning, I mined some stone and finally had enough materials to build some picks and some shovels. I needed to find some coal to make fire torches. The search was on.

http://www.minecraft.net/

The game is free as it is still in Beta but a premium membership is $15 or 9.-- Euros, and gets you into the alpha version.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

Block types - http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Blocks

Crafting - http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Give it a try.

so addictive

If i get a chance i will post a video of my rollercoaster i named the "Fatalicoaster". Basically, its a coaster that drop from the top of the map all the way to bedrock then hits a tiny jump that flings you back up to the surface through a huge tunnel into lava where you die.

oh minecraft.

in a Nutshell

Already addicted, ive been playing it for the last 3 weeks and this game keeps its hold on me, even when cheating and using an editor to add items to my inventory. Also, small fact, the game is able to generate over 8x the earth's surface in land given enough hard drive space.

This game truly shines even in 16 bit because you can to WHATEVER you want. You can make a motte and bailey fort to fend off enemies at night, or put the game on "peaceful" which removes enemies entirely, leaving you to go mining, explore caves, build your own cities even. if you guys would like, ill take a few screenshots of the castle i made, complete with crenellations and a basement.

***SPOILERS***

Tips for new players:

Left click always equals destroy targeted block

Right click always equals "use" the object targeted or held

Tree trunk makes 4 planks

2 planks, one on top of another makes 4 sticks

4 square planks makes a workbench (3x3 craft instead of basic 2x2)

9 square of cobblestone with middle space empty makes furnace (fuel on bottom stuff to be melted on top)

Higher quality tools last longer and faster/stronger (wood-stone-iron-diamond)

Wood tools made from planks and sticks, needed to mine stone, coal

Stone tools made from cobblestone and sticks, needed to mine iron

Iron tools made from iron ingots (iron ore in furnace) and sticks, needed to mine Diamonds, gold, redstone

Diamond tools make from diamonds and sticks, last longest and used to mine obsidian

---WHAT HEIGHT TO FIND ORES AND BLOCKS---

Height is measured in blocks from the base, and to the best of my experience

0 = void (holes in the floor that will kill you if you fall in)

1-4 = floor (unbreakable blocks)

~10 = lava level (lava will cover lots if not most of this height but usually not below this

1- ~20 = Diamond ore

1- ~35 = Gold, Redstone

1- ~64 = Iron ore (found very rarely a few blocks above sea level)

1- ~75 = Coal (found above ground in mountains

64 = sea level

~120 cloud level

128 = maximum height

Edited by ragnarok92~SPARTA~

I am currently clearing a large plot next to a vast cave/base and cavern system I made to hold my stuff while I mine. In the clearing I will build my castle. I have also begun to build a look out tower which will serve as a sort of lighthouse and the tallest part of the map so I can find my way home after scavenging wood or other resources. I am also going to be building some satellite sites so I can make my tracks and cart.

The best part of the game is after digging down so far you might find a huge cavern with all types of ore in it. I have found 2 so far and am going to begin mining them out soon.

Diamond tools FTW!

pretty much you cant even play offline... you can only play in browser which is stupid and annoying if you havent bought it.

The online version that you are playing is classic, halo. Its just meant to give a feel as to how the game looks and feels, a sort of "demo". The alpha (what you get for paying, also what the real game is like) is the version that includes enemies, offline play, unlimited land generation, crafting, inventory + items, ect.

i got diamond tools, took some time underground exploring but i got there.

Yeah, Diamonds, Redstone, and Gold are usually near the bottom of the map near the Bedrock stones. once you hit the Bedrock stones, don't go too much deeper. Always take plenty of candles and line your path with them so you know how to get bamck out. Also, when you areat the bedrock be very careful. You might run into lava which will ruin your day and fill your new tunnel. The Chilean miners wont have shit on you if you find it. Just be careful and have a supply of cobblestone in your tool bar next to your active pick and shovel for easy access so you can replace the block as fast as possible. I mined a block of diamond once and there was lava on the other side. just be careful.

Also, I have run into two of these rooms so far and they were BOSS. I got some cool stuff like bread, string, wheat, and most importantly a bunch of buckets. You will know one of these caves because there will be a block of fire in a cage and mossy stone all around you aka Greenstone. Greenstone doesn't really do much yet but make stuff look old. In later versions it will affect the cobblestone around it and spread like grass currently does.

Also, if you made camp near your spawn point, make a compass. It will save your but when you get lost. Unfortunately for me, I will be building a railway from my spawn location to my camp in the near future. At least I will be able to find my camp this way. Looking for your castle for an hour and a half is a waste of time.

I am still looking in to starting a multiplayer server. Will have more info hopefully tomorrow on my day off. It all depends on how long the honey-do list is.

Man ya'll must really like this game.

It'd be nice to be able to play the Alpha version...

...anyone wanna hook me up with a login? thumbsup_anim.gif

The game is half off during Alpha. It's less than $15 and <10 lbs. for the Brits. It is worth it.