Spartans Home

Linux

custard~SPARTA~

I've a couple of very low spec PCs one I liberated from work and my first gaming PC. My son (14) has just started an IT course that is hardware realated and wants something to play with. His teacher is a Linux fanboy so I've given him the work PC to destroy play with :lol:

I've wanted a server at home for backing up pics,films etc etc for some time and I downloaded the one month trial of windows home server and the piece of crap wouldn't work with the network adapters on either of the old PCs.

So I've given Ubuntu Linux a bash ( I tried a back end version of MYTHBUNTU first and had an epic fail) I'm so impressed I'm thinking of installing it on our laptop I just need to work out if it will talk to our camera, if it does Windows can do one for the laptop.

I have a question there is a lot of help for Linux beginners on the old tinternet but I really like books if you have a recommendation please post ta. Doesn't matter if the book is expensive all books are an investment.

Have these from when I did a bit of Linux, happy to post.

Been collecting dust for about a year or so.

Basic command line stuff in there, all based on Unix that has not changed too much over the years. Other than the GUI, but the shell commands and scripts are same ish.

Your Lads welcome to have em.

IMAG0011.jpg

Nice one Cobol, expect a pm sometime in the next decade you know you can rely on me to do things on time :hysterical:

Please allow me to retort

As an everyday m/c I just wouldn't wish to use anything but Win7 agreed and I believe all versions of Win 7 have Media Center built in Home does I use it.

But

As I said this is a server for backing up files pics films etc and for use as a media streamer. I use PS3 media server, it will play more formats than media center does (inc MKV), and it bugs me I have my gaming rig on to stream to the PS it doesn't make sense. I also want the server to be the m/c that does all my big downloading cos it uses so much less power.

Win7 will not run on the oldest m/c and would struggle on the other so I thought I would give Linux a bash, the boot up time is staggering and it's definitely going on the laptop to run alongside Win7 for a bit.

Medic MYTHBUNTU is what got me into this and is the Linux distro for a media center m/c but when I installed it I didn't like it, I installed UBUNTU and have PS3 media server streaming to my network ok and working on the PS. The advantage for Linux as a media m/c is you can apparantlly run 2 HD streams on a lower end GPU without a fan keeping it quieter and cheaper but it looks a ball ache to get working. If I get it working as a fully functioning media m/c I will post results.

Viiiper did make a great post somewhere about the advantage of streaming over a network as opposed to having a full on media m/c in the living room I agree with the argument he made.

Post made on the LINUX m/c :P