Spartans Home

Magic The Gathering Online

Raven_2012

I bought the original PC M:TG game when it first came out during 4th Ed. but never really played it after I wore it out. It is much easier to play it IRL than in the game. I still have my cards if anyone wants to play over SKYPE some time.

My two major decks are nowhere near Tourney legal and never really were. One is an Angel deck that it pretty tough and the other which I call Green Goblin is a monster. I will have to share it with you guys some time.

I played Magic aswell in those days. But that was when the revised edition came out. Had some pretty cool cards too. Like the Mahamot djinn, Underworld dreams, Library of Alexandria. I aquired some of them in San Antonio, where I was on holidays. I changed them against some german cards. The texans really wanted them badly. But then I lost interest and sold everything I owned. I disliked the idea of releasing one edition after the other. Wizards of the coast just wanted to make it more and more commercial and so I was out.

I just started playing the last month or two. The online one cost $9.99 and they give you a lot of cards to start out with, later on a person can buy a lot more with Event Tickets that only cost a dollar. It seems a cheaper way these days and Magic is always coming out with new cards all the time, it's hard to keep up in real life. I can imagine someone spending lots of money on the real cards, trying to get the cards they want.

Yeah it seems very commercial, there are so many cards and so many expansions out there.

Green Goblin

Non-Tournament Legal Deck, Casual play only.

LAND:

Mountain x12

Forest x10

Gaea's Cradle x2 (Legendary Land)

CREATURES:

Lightning Dragon x3

Shivan Hellkite x3

Keldon Warlord x1

Goblin War Buggy x2

Citanul Hierophants x4

Fyndhorn Elder x2

Wood Elves x2

Skyshroud Troopers x1

Quirion Elves x3

INSTANT:

Reclaim x4

SORCERY:

Elven Cache x2

Stream of Life x3

Goblin Offensive x4

ENCHANTMENT:

Volrath's Gardens x1

Midsummer Revel x1

Green Goblin is an Elven/Goblin/Dragon deck designed to put in play as many 1/1 goblin creature tokens as possible. Through the use of supporting cards, these 1/1 goblin creatures count towards mana for use with Gaea's Cradle or can even tap for a Green mana if Citanul Hierophants is in play. While the Goblins offer blocking from the ground, the skies are owned by Dragons. The main defense is to use the abilities of the Shivan Hellkite to kill any of your opponents creatures as soon as they are played. You also have Midsummer Revel which can give you as many 3/3 creatures as you have let grow on it. This card has won many games for me as opponents often forget about it.

To create your Goblin army, you must use Goblin Offensive ass soon as possible. This deck is a 5-10 turn deck to really get to a point where you can begin to amass enough creatures to play. Once Gaea's Cradle, Citanul Hierophants, and any number of mana-tappable creatures are in play, cast your first Goblin Offensive. This will normally be for around maybe 10-15 Goblin tokens. You now have blockers that you can sacrifice instead of your elves. Your Goblins can also tap for a Green mana, hence the name 'Green Goblin.' Do this multiple times using Reclaim to put it back on top of your Library. Each time, your Goblin Army will grow. You can use Stream of Life to either reclaim life points or boost your life into the hundreds. If Volrath's Gardens is in play you can gain life every turn. Fireball can be added to the deck to deal direct damage to your opponent but you soon find that once you have enough goblins, you can kill you opponent quite easily without it.

I will warn you that managing your Goblins and Life can be quite tricky, so you will need pen and paper. I played a game with my brother one time where I had over 1,000 life points and over 10,000 Goblin tokens in play. I won the game because he had no more cards to draw from his Library. Of course I was just toying with him because I could. The other issue is Mana Burn, so be careful unless you both agree not to play that rule. Again, this deck is for casual play and most often Mana Burn is not observed.

This is a very fun deck to play especially once you get some key cards in play. Then, you can control the entire game. The key is to get your Goblins tokens out as early as possible, rinse and repeat. This deck is most susceptible to blue card-killing decks but, I have beaten many of them. If you can't play the cards, then you can't win.

Don´t ask me why, but I just grabbed it from Steam. Maybe just out of curiosity.

@ Medic

When I see you online on TS you maybe you could help me out with some things as the last time I played Magic is over 10 years ago. There are probably some new changes I am not aware of.

Kav, you and I are in the same boat. There are rules now that I have never heard of. The last time I actually bought cards was during the Urza's Saga Expansion which was released in 98'. I may have picked up boosters now and then to see what the cards are like now, but I havn't played at all.

I'd say just pick up a deck from the latest Core Ed. from a store if you have one near by and get the book out and read. I will probably do the same. Considering I started playing during Unlimited (Third Edition), I am sure things have changed.

Revised and 4th Edition, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark, Fallen Empires, Ice Age, Homelands etc. These were my heyday. I still have all of my cards. Boxes of them.

I also played ST: TNG, which was a weird but but fun game.

I just played a bit here on my pc in single player and everything looked quite familiar. Haven´t figuared out yet how you can edit your decks. I just played the campaign to get used to the new cards.

But as you said before I also had boxes of cards. Unfortunately I sold or just gave most of my stuff away. Here in greece Magic isnß´t popular at all and so there is no store available here. But when I move back to germany in a couple of weeks I will pick up some booster packs from a store. I should also have left some cards at my private stash in germany.

But anyway. I will give Magic online a try and see how I like the new stuff...

Yeah the interface of MTGO is kind of hard to get use to. They give you regular cards and then they give you the Planeswalker gold cards. You can trade or play against any other cards but Planeswalker. I guess they are cards they imported over from the XBox and PC game of the same name. They are more for beginners getting use to the game.

If you buy some of those Event Tickets for $1 you can go on the trade place and find bots sometimes selling 200 or 100 commons for one Event Ticket. Its a great way to build decks.

Yeah the interface of MTGO is kind of hard to get use to. They give you regular cards and then they give you the Planeswalker gold cards. You can trade or play against any other cards but Planeswalker. I guess they are cards they imported over from the XBox and PC game of the same name. They are more for beginners getting use to the game.

If you buy some of those Event Tickets for $1 you can go on the trade place and find bots sometimes selling 200 or 100 commons for one Event Ticket. Its a great way to build decks.

What I am really missing in the game is that you can´t build your own decks. You have to take the custom decks and can just replace them with some of these gold cards. The beauty of that game is to build your own deck with different color combinations.

BTW my nick is: lex_luger

I haven´t figuared out yet how to play online.

i have a stash of magic cards around here somewhere and i think you can only build your own decks when you bet other players. granted i never play the online version of it so... but if you have questions about some of the new rules in magic i can help.

What I am really missing in the game is that you can´t build your own decks. You have to take the custom decks and can just replace them with some of these gold cards. The beauty of that game is to build your own deck with different color combinations.

BTW my nick is: lex_luger

I haven´t figuared out yet how to play online.

Are you playing Magic the Gathering Online or the steam version: Magic the Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalker? They are two different things.

Here is link to the site: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/howdoi

And yes you can build and buy cards. The deck editor tab is on bottom of window screen.

The steam version of the game or Xbox version of Magic does allow a person to play online with other players, but they are only allowed to use the decks they win and aren't really editable.

The Magic the Gathering Online is like the real thing but in the digital world. When you create an account you get over 500 cards that are put in a virtual binder and can be sorted. The cards can be traded, sold and used to make a deck.

I hope you get the right one and get it sorted out, I would love to play some of you guys over there.

Here are the free card bots. On the search engine in the trade area, type these names to bring them up:

MTGOTradersfreebot - (They offer 64 free common cards every 30 days and they have tons of new cards).

Guild - (free one time 64 cards, they are older cards, but you can sell them on other places later on and get a few newer ones).

Type Free and you should see one more down the list - (Free one time older 64 cards).

Here is a list of good deal bots:

Abukay sells - 10 rares / 40 uncommons / 200 commons for 1 Tix

Z0 or Z1 or Z2 sells - 8 rares / 20 uncommons / 100 commons for 1 Tix

Gecard (there are two bots) sells - 10 rare / 32 uncommon / 100 commons 1 Tix

When ever I create a deck or browse for cards on trading bots, I make sure I only see the standard cards. You can do that up top were it says "All Cards (Online)" and make it show "Standard".

This way it is not so overwhelming when building decks and buying cards. The interface up top is very useful, so use it a lot.