Spartans Home

Rock River Arms

Sopris_EBDA

I figured I would ask my fellow rednecks in my sister clan.

I am looking at a .223 Rock River Arms ar-15. I was wanting to get the .308 winchester but they have parts shortages and no dates for when the rifles will actually to start shipping even after a year since the first orders.

I am looking at this one, but wanted to know if anyone has an sites with better pricing, but with the same options. Or atleast the Hogue grip, Dominator 2 site/mount, Chrome lined barrel, and Quad Rail.

AR1251X

MSRP/MAP

$1280.00

Rock River Arms AR1251X Entry Tactical;A2 Flash Hider; 6-Position Tactical CAR Stock, Black; Star Safety Selector; With Standard Latch

ADDED OPTIONS: Quad Rail Lightweight Free Float, Chrome Lined Lightweight R-4, 1:9, Hogue Grip, YHM Front Sight Gas Block Assembly, RRA Dominator2 Mount, Winter Trigger Guard

7oz lighter than comparable Entry Tactical with standard quad rail.

http://www.rock-river-arms.com/rockriverar...ar15_ar-15.html

(THIRD ONE DOWN)

Well, first question....Who do ya plan on shootin' with it? :)

Sounds like a good weapon. Every weapon that I've ever handled I've always asked one important question....does it feel comfortable in my hand and can I aim quickly with both eyes wide open? If it doesn't naturally feel comfortable on the first handling, then I tend to hate it. If I can't aim with one eye and scan the battlefield with the other, then it's no use to me.

I loved the regular M16 that I carried. I've hit poles 50m away while driving 30mph down the road. I hated the SAW for it's weight and how it was slow to bring up to my shoulder, but it was accurate in short bursts. AK's suck in my opinion and are only good noise makers. Yeah, they can be shot full of water, but who's gonna shoot under water?

I'm no expert by any means, but all I gotta say is if it feels good in your hands and eyes, it's a winner. If it doesn't, you'll always be fighting it. Of course, it has to look good too:) If you're buying it online without trying it out, I guess the most important part on an AR15 would be the front grip. Like I said, I'm no expert, but just a common sense Durkster.

Actually that websites price is $1125 for that rifle.I actually have held the gun at a local gun store, feels good, but theirs had a steel quad rail which added some weight, but it was still light. They also we charging about $1500 for the same model

Sometime's weight is a good thing, as I'm sure you know. How much extra does a "ghetto grip" cost? The front grip looks a little hard to grip with all those rails. I guess it depends on how ya hold it. I say it looks like a good deal. What kind of sights are on that rifle? I've always thought the best iron sight in the world is what is on the M16. The round "donut" rear sight with the front sight. I've decapitated many a paper target with that thing

Okay whatever you do, you need these items to accentuate your AR and make it a bit more user friendly.

Adjustable grip: (comes with six inserts, to customize to your palm swell and finger grooves. awesome piece of kit here.) http://www.botachtactical.com/caauppigr.html

Accu-wedge:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Accuwe...p/accuwedge.htm

Ambi-Catch: (I am adding this hardware to the list as it has become more and more important to learn to shoot off hand and become proficient in case of injury to dominant eye or hand. This makes it easier to swap mags while shooting off hand or if you are a south paw to begin with. http://www.fulton-armory.com/AmbiCatch.htm

Folding Verticle grip.: This is a very nice feature: http://www.botachtactical.com/tdifffotagr.htmlOversized

Selector Switch: http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.as...od=DPMS-P.LR08DOversized

Charging handle latch:http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDtls.aspx?id=101453

BH SWIFT Sling. (I use it and its fantastic.): http://www.afmo.com/BlackHawk_S_W_I_F_T_Sl...p/215-00537.htm

I truly believe that these seven accessories finish out an M4 nicely and make it super functional and

easy to use in high stress situations.I would also round out this rifle with a CAA 6-pos stock (with battery compartment) and a adjustable cheek weld. Not a total must but it will make the rifle more comfortable to shoot. and give you storage for batteries for you optic or a place for your cleaning kit.No matter what rifle you purchase, consider adding these on your own. The best part of them is that none of these needs an armorer.You should buy the tool kit that is recommended for your rifle as well. I am sure RRA sells them. Its worth the cost.

Sometime's weight is a good thing, as I'm sure you know. The front grip looks a little hard to grip with all those rails. I guess it depends on how ya hold it. I say it looks like a good deal. What kind of sights are on that rifle? I've always thought the best iron sight in the world is what is on the M16. The round "donut" rear sight with the front sight. I've decapitated many a paper target with that thing

I agree. The iron sights are your back up sights when using an optic, in case your batteries go dead. (or a round hits your battery compartment. This sux a big one.)You will want a flip down front sight because if you don't have one the front sight post will show through your optic and give you a big hazy blur, that wont go away. I think the one you chose has this feature. If not your looking at about a hundred bucks for a YHM, which are high quality. You want high quality iron sights to assure that they maintain zero at all times. Your rear aperture can also be flip up. Keep in mind you will want one with solid elevation and windage knobs and with night and day ghost rings. These may save your life someday, whether its out in the woods with a bear or in your home with some douche bag thief.

As far as the front free floating hand guard rails go, you can get rubberized or hard polymer rail covers for little of nothing. This adds to the weight slightly but also makes the rifle more comfortable to hold. But then again you want a vert grip. I like the flip up vert grip because you can use the rifle in two different ways and sometimes the standard grip just gets in the way.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

well the rifle does have a YHM front sight, so I guess that is a good thing. I are that Colt does make a very good ar-15, but when it comes to custom ar-15's which is what everyone wants (well atleast I do), then Rock River is the best. I will definitely add that ambi-catch,.

Regarding the folding grip, how well made is it? Does it stand firm, or does it wiggle at all?

I was looking at the Galco sling, any thoughts?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/601299029293.html

Well that sling is mainly for regular A32 stocks. It isnt designed for a CAR stock. What I like about the Blackhawk sling is that is has a catch on it that you can release to be able to switch to off hand shooting. With most slings that are made you cant do this.

There is a company here in town called Tactical Survival Specialties, Inc. or TSSI.

Their claim to fame is when DOD or law enforcement orders they normally arent ordering a single item here and there they are ordering a huge kit built for a person or team. Everything they need including food, and ammo, Mission Specific. and its air assault sling load ready. Its really a great idea.

Anyways.

The Special Forces kit load out has this Black Hawk m4 sling in it. Thats how good it is.

the vert grip is made by Command Arms Accessories or CAA. Its sturdy as hell and hasnt let me down.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Be careful of those front-loading slings or whatever you call them. I got used to taking my weapon off by swinging it around my body and over my head until the sling caught on my shoulder strap and the front sight post slammed into my forehead. Had a nice bloody knot on my head for a bit. At least I didn't shoot anybody. Other than that, a front-loading sling, no matter which brand, has always been my favorite.

• 3 months later...

Notice how they have moved back to the reliable op rod system and tossed the direct gas impingement design that has been the nemesis of the M-16 platform since it's creation.

The MagPul Masada Adaptive Combat Weapon System (ACWS) a.k.a. MagPul Masada Rifle / Carbine, made by MagPul Military Industries Corp., was one of the hottest new items at SHOT Show 2007. It's basically an AR-18/AR-180-based gas-piston/op-rod-driven modular assault rifle

To small of a gun I like BAR.

LOL

Have you handled a BAR (M1918) ? Those things weigh in at something like 18 pounds EMPTY! Which I suppose is a good thing since you'll be firing 30-06 ammo in full auto. You also be reloading a lot with a 20 round box mag and a 500-600 rps cyclic rate. Makes a heck of club though if you do run dry.

I'm a die hard fan of the M14. Was...is....will be.....the best main battle rifle in the U.S. inventory.....IMHO.

Cheers