Spartans Home

One little blade

Ok, so perhaps the blade I'm referring to isn't quite so little; I'm talking about one of the blades from the 24cm fan mounted on the top of my PC case (Thermaltake V9). One of the blades broke off, possibly while I was installing my new sound card.

I didn't notice this until I came home and turned on my PC today, and even then I didn't notice anything until I started typing and had the palms of my hands on the keyboard wrist-rest; I thought the vibration was just a figment of my imagination, nerves settling after a long day at work, something along those lines. But no, I put my hands directly on the desk, and I leaned back as far as I could from the display, and sure enough, there was definite vibration, and the display seemed somewhat wobbly. So I touched my PC case and it felt like a washing machine that was off-balance. Still as silent as ever, but definitely doing a little boogie.

So I'll be performing surgery tonight by breaking off the blade opposite of the already-broken one; that should balance things. If not, I'm probably going to have to order a replacement fan from the manufacturer. And as soon as I can justify the expense, I'll probably get a new case to go along with the water-cooling unit I want to install.

By the way, although the Thermaltake V9 looks like a nice case, it's rather poorly made, and I would recommend against purchasing it. My next case will be the most monstrous full-tower case I can get for under $200 USD.

I run an Antec Twelve Hundred and it is awesome. Plus it is made for a water cooler system as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...welve%20hundred

I will say that because it is a bottom mounted PSU, you will need a PSU with long power cables. Otherwise, you might have to runt the power cables above the mother board instead of behind it. I got extensions for the power cables and it seems to do just fine.

I run an Antec Twelve Hundred and it is awesome. Plus it is made for a water cooler system as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...welve%20hundred

I will say that because it is a bottom mounted PSU, you will need a PSU with long power cables. Otherwise, you might have to runt the power cables above the mother board instead of behind it. I got extensions for the power cables and it seems to do just fine.

You read my mind! I was looking at the 1200 after making this post, and the price is right, about $180 USD including shipping. My current case also has a bottom mounted PSU with plenty of slack in the cables, so much so that I tuck the unused portions into the extra drive bays to keep them out of the way. Having the ability to run some of the cabling behind the mobo would be superb. I think I'll be ordering this soon.

I run the antec 900 and love it, which is just an older model of the 1200 (sorry to point out the obvious)

I would post a link but every computer website is blocked at work! im sure you'll find it. Bottom mounted PSU also.

I run the antec 900 and love it, which is just an older model of the 1200 (sorry to point out the obvious)

I would post a link but every computer website is blocked at work! im sure you'll find it. Bottom mounted PSU also.

Sorry to have to make the correction, but the 900 is not just and older version of the 1200. It is the ATX Mini-Tower version of the 1200 where the 1200 is a full tower. Both are excellent but the 1200 is much larger (and heavier) than the 900.

If you plan to run a water cooler, def get the 1200.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have the Antec 900 also . It is a good case but does have its down sides.

It is a dust monster you will need a total clean out every 3 weeks. And as it lives under my desk

it freezes my bloody legs off. I have to sit cross legged but thats just me.

But at the same time more then enough fans to keep your pc cool.

Edited by BettyBlue

Tom's hardware has a good review of that vs. 3 others.

I have the Cooler Master HAF 932 its in the review as well. Its a great case easy to install everything only problem is with all the big fans I get lots of dust.

The HAF 932 was actually the case I was planning to get a while back. It was a toss up between it and the antec 900. But I got to looking at the full towers and the Antec 1200 won me over.