Spartans Home

Any CGI experts here?

So I'm looking at something that will probably be replacing my industry (architectural photography) in a couple of years, and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust to the times, when I see this video...

http://www.vimeo.com/7809605

And now I'm scrambling to see how it was done, and how many years of schooling I need to go through to do this. Are there any CGI experts out there that may be able to guide me along and tell me what type of schooling I should look into?

So I'm looking at something that will probably be replacing my industry (architectural photography) in a couple of years, and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust to the times, when I see this video...

http://www.vimeo.com/7809605

And now I'm scrambling to see how it was done, and how many years of schooling I need to go through to do this. Are there any CGI experts out there that may be able to guide me along and tell me what type of schooling I should look into?

How exactly will CGI replace your industry?

And I'm by no means an expert in CGI, but I have been a 3D modeler for a number of years, which is something you will need to do eventually if you want to do CGI. If you want to go the self-taught route, as I did and do, then you should first invest in or download a quality tool suite. For instance, Adobe Photoshop for 2D work, Adobe Premiere for Video post-processing, and either 3DSMax (which I have) or Maya for 3D work. Might also want to look into Adobe After Effects, I've seen some nice things done with that particular tool. It's a composition/animation tool, for making things such as realistic looking fire and other effects (hence the name).

You can also get some fairly decent tools for free, such as Gimp/Paint.NET for 2D and Blender for 3D. Not sure about video post-processing or composition tools though.

The easiest way to learn of course would be to take university classes.

P.S.- Was a nice video