Spartans Home

Help Purchasing a Laptop

MH6~SPARTA~

Here's the deal. I need a laptop. Mainly for school work and programming, but it also needs to be able to run somewhat advanced 3D applications/games (i.e. 3DS Max and Torque 3D), even if it's only on very low settings. So preferably no integrated video cards.

My budget is between $300 to $600 (though I may be able to afford up to $1000).

I am currently looking at this one, but I'm still not quite sure it'll be enough. (and the video card is integrated which makes me cringe)

Any takers?

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Here's the deal. I need a laptop. Mainly for school work and programming, but it also needs to be able to run somewhat advanced 3D applications/games (i.e. 3DS Max and Torque 3D), even if it's only on very low settings. So preferably no integrated video cards.

My budget is between $300 to $600 (though I may be able to afford up to $1000).

I am currently looking at this one, but I'm still not quite sure it'll be enough. (and the video card is integrated which makes me cringe)

Any takers?

looks good from what i read and the price also ok

i'll keep searching .

I really think this should be your choice, for budget and performances

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220636

You can put 100 bucks on top of it and get the same model instead of 15" up to 17"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220640

That depends on you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at laptops once again. So far I've narrowed it down to the following:

The Asus is my personal favorite so far, because it has the GTX 260M graphics card; even if the processor is a tad dated. Not to mention it's the cheapest, and looks the nicest.

Always read the fine prints.

I had no time to dig into the configs, but:

Alienware and Dell:

They show the starting price and they say i7 OPTIONAL and GTX 260 OPTIONAL

Asus:

for 100 bucks difference is a no brainer preferring an i5 or i7 instead the old core2 duo of this model - It is possible it will not be 100 bucks difference thos, once again the above models are showing you the STARTING price.

Toshiba:

is the winner on the paper right now. U get what you pay for, no hidden crap. It has an i5 and the GTS 360 (which I don t know how performs) but the reviews are quite brilliant. It also has a solid audio, very important for a multimedia laptop.

If I could afford it right now, I would pick up this beauty: Sweet looking machine.

It has a dedicated graphics card, plenty of RAM, 500GB HDD, and the screen is ALMOST 19"!! I know it's twice what you were asking for...but one can always dream.

I actually linked that one in my post. And I have enough money now to get a $1-1.4k laptop, thankfully.

I prefer the Asus models over all the others mostly because they come with GTX 260M graphics cards...which kick the shit out of the GTS 360Ms. Why Toshiba puts a subpar VC into such a nice machine is beyond me.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and purchase this one: Asus G72GX.

Not only is it better than the G51VX I linked (6GB RAM, 500GB HDD), but it's also $100 cheaper, and I can pick it up instantly (Best Buy is 5min away). Saw it on display while I was in there earlier, looked damn nice.

Only cons are that the display on the G72GX is 1600x900 instead of the G51's 1920x1080...which is strange, considering the G51's screen is 15.6" while the G72 is 17". Also the fact that the HDD is 5400RPM instead of 7200, but with the $100 I save I'll probably just pick up a 7200RPM HDD and use the 5400RPM as data storage, since this laptop can hold 2 HDDs. And I doubt I'd really notice the difference in screen resolutions. Just means higher FPS at the monitor's native res after all.

I realize the Core 2 Duo is a bit dated, but this won't be my primary machine. I have a fucking behemoth of a computer as my desktop which I will do all my primary gaming on. This laptop is mostly for school/programming/casual gaming during trips.

For $999, I think this would be one hell of a machine personally. So unless I can find a laptop with an i5/i7 and GTX 260M for between $1-1.2k relatively soon (if you find one let me know!), I'll probably end up buying this one.

The Dell Studio XMPS 16 comes with a ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 1GB which isn't hardcore but it isnt bad either.

Price is $1299 base.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...p-studio-xps-16

SYSTEM COLOR Obsidian Black High Gloss Finish edit

PROCESSOR Intel® Core? i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit

WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1 Year Basic Service Plan edit

Dell Recommends

Keep your investment protected for as long as you'll own it with a 2 year Basic Service Plan

Upgrade to 2 Year Basic Service Plan [add $199 or $6/month1]

In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis: for issues covered by Limited Hardware Warranty, technician and/or part will be dispatched, if necessary, usually in 1 or 2 business days following Remote Diagnosis. During Remote Diagnosis, you may be asked to access the inside of your system (where safe to do so) or to participate in troubleshooting until a cause can be isolated.

MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz edit

HD DISPLAY Full HD Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1920x1080) W/2.0 MP edit

HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit

BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR) edit

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) edit

My Accessories

OFFICE SOFTWARE No Microsoft Office edit

SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months edit

DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM

VIDEO CARD ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 ? 1GB

BATTERY OPTIONS 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

SOUND OPTIONS Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB

WIRELESS CARDS Intel® 5300 WLAN Wireless-N (3x3) Mini Card

Studio XPS 16 Studio XPS 16 Notebook

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Adobe Reader Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, Multiple Languages