Spartans Home

Win 7 Pro/Home UPGRADE for College Students

MedicSN6

Bought it yesterday, $40CAN+$14 for a DVD install, which is reccomended for the XP-7 upgrade (read:new install). The TG gamer megathread is superbly helpful.

As far as the upgrade process is concerned, I need to keep reading for the best way to avoid days of re-downloading apps (AII and others). Any programs that can backup an app itself, like microsoft office, steam, or AII, and do a reinstall from an external HD to a new OS?

Bought it yesterday, $40CAN+$14 for a DVD install, which is reccomended for the XP-7 upgrade (read:new install). The TG gamer megathread is superbly helpful.

As far as the upgrade process is concerned, I need to keep reading for the best way to avoid days of re-downloading apps (AII and others). Any programs that can backup an app itself, like microsoft office, steam, or AII, and do a reinstall from an external HD to a new OS?

Yeah backing up steam (or any other program) makes a ton of differance. Steams back up is pretty seamless and can go to either a spare drive or DVD. Don't forget your save games and what not in the user folder etc.

$30 for Windows 7? Oh hell yeah. Time to put my student email to work.

Here's hoping the upgrade version plays nice with OEM Vista...

Edit: Downloading! 3gb total, @ 1.35MB/s. Not bad at all.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

• 4 weeks later...

I finally, finally got my win7 ISO downloaded and DVD burned for the weekend upgrade.

Apparently Digital River had some problems with their original download. I also had waited over 3 weeks for the extra DVD they were sending, which still hasn't arrived (I've asked for a refund of my extra $13)

According to My Digital Life, Digital River released an ISO for download recently so students could burn their own installation DVDs.

They responded within 12 hours when I asked for the ISO download link, but the DL kept stopping early in the DL (after 100-300mbs) I installed Download Accelerator Plus, which managed to get the whole file this AM at home. Copy to Flash, go to work, copy to work machine, burn to permanently borrowed blank DVD.

I'm hoping for the best this weekend.