Spartans Home

Mini-guide to Firing Artillery

MH6~SPARTA~

• 3 weeks later...

Could MH6, or whomever took care of it, update this thread with the current status of Domination artillery, such as what's available at the outset, what can spawn, and what doesn't work.

Also, how do we set up a secondary arty-only control?

Someone in TS told me they have their arty controls set up to a joystick, so they can target and fire using the large map (when in targeting mode) instead of trying to make fine adjustments to fire switching back 'n forth btwx map and live 1st person view (again, all when in targeting mode.)

Could MH6, or whomever took care of it, update this thread with the current status of Domination artillery, such as what's available at the outset, what can spawn, and what doesn't work.

Also, how do we set up a secondary arty-only control?

Someone in TS told me they have their arty controls set up to a joystick, so they can target and fire using the large map (when in targeting mode) instead of trying to make fine adjustments to fire switching back 'n forth btwx map and live 1st person view (again, all when in targeting mode.)

Yep, I mentioned that you should setup a gamepad/joystick to control artillery in the first post. You wouldn't believe how much it helps with accuracy. On the small map, it could look like you were right on target, but you zoom in on the big map and you're off by 200m. That 200m could be the difference between killing the enemy and killing friendlies.

Anyway, to set it up, you first need a gamepad/joystick. Then go into your ArmA2 controls, and look for the Aim Up/Aim Left/Aim Right/Aim Down controls. Set each of those to the corresponding analog axis on your second controller. I.E. Aim Up for me is +Y Axis on my left analog stick on my Logitech Dual-Action Gamepad. Aim Down is -Y Axis. Left, -X axis, Right +X axis. Fire, Button 3. You cannot fire while the map is open (which annoys me), but it doesn't take too long to close map, fire, then open map again.

Now, if you need a continuous stream of rounds on target, and can sacrifice accuracy, then it's better to use the regular Artillery map. For instance, when I need to take out a large line of infantry, I first line up with one edge of the line using the big map, then use the small map to adjust fire afterward, swinging the artillery to the side and firing salvos along that line. It doesn't have to be a direct hit to kill, just has to be close. Taking out armor and such on the other hand, has to be a direct hit.

As to what's available:

• Two M119s spawn at south-west end of airfield with the following ammunition:

• 60xHigh-Explosive (HE)
    • 30xWhite Phosphorous (WP)
    • 30xSADARM
    • 30xLaser HE
    • 30xIllumination
  • Two M119s spawn in northern hangar with 30xHE rounds
  • M119s called in by airdrop are equipped with:

• 60xHigh-Explosive (HE)
    • 30xWhite Phosphorous (WP)
    • 30xSADARM
    • 30xLaser HE
    • 30xIllumination (Illum.)
  • Two M252 mortars spawn in northern hangar with 8xHE rounds
  • M252s deployed by mortar soldiers are equipped with (subject to change):

• 8xHE
    • 8xWP
    • 8xIllum.

Thanks for the update...now machinegun style, like a 5-year-old

Putzing with the mortar, it seems like each really has 3x8 rounds, since it'll finish one series and the number will reset, until it's run through 2 resets for 24 rounds.

Also-using the M119s, I've only seen HE, WP, and Illum rounds in the scroll menu. Should the others be in the scroll menu as well?

I've gained access to the targeting menu with regular engineers and the Alpha team leader, and had difficulty with several others. Are those the only characters who can use the targeting function?

When using the Laser HE, when available, how close does it need to be to the manually-lazed target, since I assume the round will track similar to any other LGB?

Can the Laser HE be fired w/o laser active, given the 40-60second flight time and battery life and/or AI awareness of laser designation, and then lased approx 20s before splash?

The MLRS was removed due to scripting/synching issues, right?

The M119s can now be transported via M60 with no errors on use/access?

Also-what about the various issues with damage, e.g, what should we absolutely NOT do to the arty so it won't be disabled until server restart?

Ah-I just thought of another one...Is the enemy artillery, other than the small banks in cities, on- or off-map? I saw a destroyed set of 5 or 6 D-30s and a few ammo trucks in the northern part of the UK server, apart from any city. Is that the arty (wherever placed on map) used by enemy observers?

Thanks for the update...now machinegun style, like a 5-year-old

Putzing with the mortar, it seems like each really has 3x8 rounds, since it'll finish one series and the number will reset, until it's run through 2 resets for 24 rounds.

What it's doing is reloading the WP and Illum rounds once the HE rounds have been expended. So that last set of 8 won't do anything (unless it's night time). If you look at your action menu after it automatically reloads, you'll notice the "Reload 81mm 8xWP" choice disappears, because it's already reloaded them, and it is now the active ammunition.

Also-using the M119s, I've only seen HE, WP, and Illum rounds in the scroll menu. Should the others be in the scroll menu as well?

Yes, you should see Laser HE and SADARM in the scroll menu, assuming someone hasn't already used them all up before you.

I've gained access to the targeting menu with regular engineers and the Alpha team leader, and had difficulty with several others. Are those the only characters who can use the targeting function?

You should get the targeting menu regardless of class, and the success rate is a lot higher than it was before, but it still doesn't work 100% of the time for some reason. I will see if I can improve upon this a little bit.

When using the Laser HE, when available, how close does it need to be to the manually-lazed target, since I assume the round will track similar to any other LGB?

The Laser HE round will begin actively seeking laser targets 1000m above the target area. It will scan until it hits the ground, at a range of 700m. If the lased target is any further than that, the shell will not lock on.

Can the Laser HE be fired w/o laser active, given the 40-60second flight time and battery life and/or AI awareness of laser designation, and then lased approx 20s before splash?

Based on the script for it I'd say yes, though I haven't tested it personally.

The MLRS was removed due to scripting/synching issues, right?

The MLRS is still in-game, and should be working, though I haven't tested it for this latest version.

The M119s can now be transported via M60 with no errors on use/access?

Also-what about the various issues with damage, e.g, what should we absolutely NOT do to the arty so it won't be disabled until server restart?

M119s can be transported just fine, yes. However, M119s are very fragile. If you are not careful, they are liable to be damaged en route during an airlift. All it takes is hitting one tree to make it inoperable. I will look into making them repairable by engineers, as I don't believe they currently can be.

Ah-I just thought of another one...Is the enemy artillery, other than the small banks in cities, on- or off-map? I saw a destroyed set of 5 or 6 D-30s and a few ammo trucks in the northern part of the UK server, apart from any city. Is that the arty (wherever placed on map) used by enemy observers?

That enemy firebase is a side mission. And yes, upon completion of the side mission, enemy artillery observers will cease to spawn at the main AO. They are not there all the time, however. Only during the side mission.

The Laser HE round will begin actively seeking laser targets 1000m above the target area. It will scan until it hits the ground, at a range of 700m. If the lased target is any further than that, the shell will not lock on.

Thanks for all the answers, and not calling me a dolt for mixing up the reload on the mortar (it does the same for RPGs and SMAWS, so I should have known).

About that quoted statement, by range I meant how close, within a targeting radius, does the shot have to be to steer itself successfully? (if target is in a town, fire anywhere in or near the red zone and the Laser HE will find it's target, or more precision required?) Also-can the Laser HE extend the arty effective range, by maxing on the arty angle, firing, and lasing a target outside of that maximum angle?

I should be working, but this is far more interesting.

Thanks for all the answers, and not calling me a dolt for mixing up the reload on the mortar (it does the same for RPGs and SMAWS, so I should have known).

About that quoted statement, by range I meant how close, within a targeting radius, does the shot have to be to steer itself successfully? (if target is in a town, fire anywhere in or near the red zone and the Laser HE will find it's target, or more precision required?) Also-can the Laser HE extend the arty effective range, by maxing on the arty angle, firing, and lasing a target outside of that maximum angle?

I should be working, but this is far more interesting.

I had to go to class so sorry for the delay.

The "seek" range for the Laser HE round is 700m. So 7 of the small grid squares if you're looking at the map. I want to say most towns are only about 800-900m across (though I could be mistaken), so you will probably get a hit as long as both the target and the location you are firing at are within the red circle. Just don't fire at the eastern edge of the circle if the target is on the western edge.

As for extending range, I don't see why not.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~

Well now that this is up here on the recently posted topics again I figure I'll ask a question, how effective are the SADARM's that us arty guys now have our hands on? I've had a few confirmed kills with them, but I'm kinda interested in their overall effectiveness. Do you know much about how well they work in ArmA II, and what is their kill radius exactly?

Well now that this is up here on the recently posted topics again I figure I'll ask a question, how effective are the SADARM's that us arty guys now have our hands on? I've had a few confirmed kills with them, but I'm kinda interested in their overall effectiveness. Do you know much about how well they work in ArmA II, and what is their kill radius exactly?

Never seen one not kill its target, personally. Probably only ineffective if it can't find anything to kill. The "seek" radius of the SADARM is substantially smaller than the Laser HE, however, at 200m. It also deploys (and begins seeking) at a lower altitude (between 75 and 275m)

It also has a damage value of 330 for a direct hit, or 142 indirect (i.e. hits ground beside target) spread over 7m. For comparison, the SMAW-HEAA round has a damage value of 480 direct, and 12 indirect, spread over 1.2m. Still, I could have sworn a single SADARM would demolish a T72, so maybe it factors in some other variables besides damage value (since a single SMAW-HEAA round will not).

Decided to throw together a quick table of all the damage values for the artillery.

User posted image

And now in graph form!

User posted image

Yeah...I get bored sometimes.

Still, I could have sworn a single SADARM would demolish a T72, so maybe it factors in some other variables besides damage value (since a single SMAW-HEAA round will not).

Doesnt a SADARM hit a tank on the weaker upper armour whereas the smaws almost always hit front, side or back, which I believe are more heavily armoured.

Doesnt a SADARM hit a tank on the weaker upper armour whereas the smaws almost always hit front, side or back, which I believe are more heavily armoured.

We'd need to check via in-game observation. Maybe they integrated the real precision of the SADARM, with a $2B/20yr bill and still only a 50% hit rate (why they dropped the program a few years ago).

On a more relevant note-do artillery or vehicle operators get points for their kills? I've been watching the score screen for kill confirmation, but I don't see the # change. (could my aim be that bad?)