Spartans Home

argh back in the land of laptop

well the outher day i waslked away from my system to get a snack and came back tot he smell of burning and a turnt off computer i tried to power it on and nuting zip, un plug all the hard drives and stuff and i get a lil spin of the fans when i try to turn it on but only for a split secound.

so i think it must be the power supply that is broken so i ring up arange for them to pick it up and get me a refund so i go and get a new power supply, nice a modular one is very nice and cool. so i plug it all in ( after i had a nap cos i was a lil drunk when i borght it lol) so i pluged it all hit hit the button and the fans spin for a split secound and the light on the cpu cooler comes on but still no boot, and no bleep code.

so i removed the ram but still same thing no code still. so i open the compuuter up and start taking it apart thing by thing first unpluded all hard drives cd roms and case fans and nuting, removed graphics card and ram but still same thing then i have my ram graphics card pluged in and give them power but remove the CPUs 8 pin power plug (tried it in 4 pin and 8 pin mode with no differance) but when i have the CPU power completly disconected formt he psu the fans start spining and stay spining (even the cpu cooler and its light) so i try it again but with the power from the graphics card disconected and i get every thing spining but one long continues high piched bleep from the mobos speaker.

when every thing turn on im unshore weather its started boot squence as i have it in my living room as there is no room to open it up proplerly in my room.

so my thorghts are that the power supply i had over loaded or someing and has damaged my mother board/ cpu im a bit puzzled on why the fans stay on when the cpu power is disconected, may be the mobo is ok and it is the cpu if any one has any thorghts they will be very much aprecated as i am stumped.

thank you in advance for any lights of wisdom you spreed on this issue.

I had to read that post 3 times Adder .... Your still fucking drunk right !!

OK start with this .... Double check all connections on your new shiny PSU as I'm betting you have a 5V rail going to a 12V supply somewhere or something strange like this scenario.

Does your PSU have a bunch of cables as well as the modular plug in extras ... USE the hard wired cables FIRST and double check you have the right two feeding your GPU.

Remove any crap you can from the equation upon a restart like case fans and bling bits and extra hard drives and extra extra hard drives and any fucking BS u got plugged in so u are only supplying the board , gpu and one HD ... no need for any burners either or a floppy if u have one.

If you have any thermal paste look to reset your cpu cooler also , maybe a bracket sprung ? ... If you have time pull the MB out and inspect it for any burns and check fins and heat sinks for dust accumulation and blow out.

If you killed a PSU you have a 50/50 chance of it screwing with other bits, your not running some golden yumcha brand PSU at near it's max rating ? ... take 20% off it on all rails to be sure it can cope with the load and even check it's supplying enough amps for your GPU rail while your at it.

Reset your bios while your at it and connect the absolute minimum you can to get working then add and test one bit at a time .... could be many things Like ..... PEBKAC even.

GL L8R