Spartans Home

No Bios post screen

Zebb

Hi all, I am currently in the middle of a set of nights and wont be back playing until Friday evening but while I am away I thought it would be a good time to ask about an issue I have.

I am not sure if it is related but when I installed my G15 keyboard I was not able to restart my computer from standby because the keyboard was not active,I knew that I would have to go into my bios to change the settings to allow the USB keyboard but when I try to start my computer now I get the one post beep but no bios screen just a black screen that eventually goes to my desktop, this means that I don't have the opportunity to stop the computer at that start to get into my bios to change any settings.

Any ideas?, thanks.

Firstly, it could be you some how disabled bios access, (possible)

At first bleep regardless of screen press 'DEL' a few times (4-5)

if no bios then, then the bios my of screwed it's access point.

RESET BIOS:

Power off pc, touch the metal case to discharge any static (a second or two)

Unplug the power lead after (as this is the sole earthing point for most pc's)

Locate & remove the CMOS battery from motherboard.

Move the CMOS reset jumper to reset for several seconds (see you motherboard manual)

Replace rest jumper to original position

Replace CMOS battery

Reconnect power lead

switch on power supply switch

Press the power on button.

good luck.

Lol, thanks mate thats pretty much what I thought, I figured the CMOS battery might be my next option but I wont get a chance to find out until I have finished these shifts and since I know it runs ok at the moment I will probably play Friday night and then strip it down Saturday morning and try a reset with the CMOS. :rolleyes:

Most wouldn't complain ... who do you know who reads the data upon boot ... LOL (Except Vi :P )

Hold delete down and you will still enter bios regardless usually or F? ... for your MB recovery app.

You may find that just your start screen sequence has been changed so a complete bois flip would not be necessary.

Damn and blast, I tried the CMOS/jumper restart but still no bios screen at boot up (I was surprised that it even booted at all after I had prised out the battery and jammed my hand onto the mobo moving the jumpers lol)

@ Mut', I have been trying to use the delete button on startup anyway but if I do it just locks up my comp and I have to reboot again, it seems to run ok once its gong apart from not remembering some setting such as keyboard so I guess somethings probably buggered but for now I will see how it goes..

Thanks for the tips guys. :thanks:

Are you useing a USB keybored? if you are, the mobo might not detect it untill later in the boot process, after post has gone buy. Try an old keyboard, with the old round plug, and then see if you can get into bios wile holding down the delete key and booting at the same time. It should get you there.

Now if it still doesent boot then listen to the beep codes dureing power on self test=post. If you are getting several beeps then you have a problem with one of the 4 componets that it tests dureing boot, wicth is ram,cpu,vid card, hard drive. If one of those has failed, then go to the webb sight of the mobo mfger and look up the beep code to find out what componet has failed. Not all beep codes will be the same for all mobos. Like Asus will be different then MSI. so make sure you have the right one for your board. And if you do have a problem then be ready to swap out componets untill it starts again. Or reset cmos and reset everything to where it runs again.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Thanks Athlon, I did put my old ps2 keyboard back on to get into the bios to activate the usb keyboard setting for my new G15 but that's when I found that I can't even get into the settings I just get a black screen until it arrives at the launch screen and then desktop.

I have been trawling the forums looking for some clue but it seems that it's one of those random problems. :rolleyes:

Since I tried the CMOS reset I can see that it did what it was supposed to do because I am getting messages asking me if I want to allow certain items that were previously set in my bios, but I still cannot get into my bios to change anything since it boots straight to desktop without any break to allow me in, and as I said if I try to press delete during the startup it just locks up and doesn't boot at all, it's not a big problem I guess it will sort itself out at some point. lol