Spartans Home

8800 gtx users

Hawk~SPARTA~

I just bought and installed a thermalright HR-03 Plus. It was also installed with a fan. I

was very surprized to have it run hotter at idle and full load than the stock fan. 60c idle

and 75c at load. My stock runs 47-50c idle and 58-65c loaded. The stock one is now back on.

By the way, do NOT use a thermal paste on the aluminum heatsinks, use a non coductive

paste or you will fry your card.

Hawk,

They may not be correct readings unless you used a proper probe, Or maybe you installed it incorrectly as this GPU cooler is a killer when tested at Tom's on an ATI 2900 against many other brands.

The HR-03 came out almost 17 Deg better in the tests compared to any other model of cooler.

I would be having a closer look at the readings you obtained as this does not seem correct by a long shot compared to user reviews and the shootout for this cooler.

Don't mean to be negative but stock coolers suck compared to anything i have used and heatpipe coolers are some of the most efficient available today. I would be investigating this further with an email to Thermalright support as well.

Here is a link to the review > http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/14/the...illa/index.html

Hope you get it fixed Hawk.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best cooler heat sink compound now is ARTIC silver 5. its the only one amd approves. Stay away from creamque it acts like glue. Depends on the throttleing of the vid cards bios. try setting your desk top to 60 htz so it will throttle back wile idle and it will cool down, if it doesent think about adding a fan on the side of the case, blowing fresh air right on the vid card. Of coarse you can custom mod the vid cards bios to throttle back wile idle.

Edited by Athlon64

• 4 weeks later...

This post shows a difference of 29 degress on High from the stock cooler at load, and 23 degress with fan on Low compared to stock cooler. Idle temps with fan on high shows 15 degress difference and 12 with fan on Low compared to stock. So you might want to take a closer look at your installation. It might be a little thing here or there thats making it fail. You should get a great performance difference on your favor by going with that cooler. Im thinking on getting one now, I didnt know about this heatsink GPU cooler.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=381&a...xpert&pid=5

Well the stock cooler on the 8800 is hudge and the card it self takes up a double slot. One hafe is the card, and the outher hafe of the card is a heat pipe cooler with a auto speed fan. There really isent any need to mod the cooling part of it unless you plan on doing some real overclocking with it. And if you really do then watercooling it would be the way to go. But I have one and I havent really needed to do any additional cooling with it yet. But my case is the acrillic 9 bay from sunbeam tech and it has 2 120mm fans on the side 1 to blow on the vid card and the outher one on the cpu cooler. To say the least I havent had any cooling issues. Now if you do, then install a fan on the side of the case to blow right on the card and make sure you have proper case ventulation. Example= The air should enter from the front and flow thru the case and exit out the back. Make sure your case has enough air flow. My case has 5 fans on it. 1 front 2 side 1 rear 1 top chimmney fan. And all that cooling won't help a bitt if the room your running it in has a temp of 100 degrees. Theres an old saying "If it ant broke then don't fix it"

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~