Spartans Home

Making EVE-Online PORTABLE

MedicSN6

Okay, so my initial problem that needed solving was my need to be able to log into EVE while at work to change a skill when it has finished. Up until now, I was forced to put on long training skills such as any skill that was going from level 4 to level 5, for the duration of my time at work or school, plus travel time.

Working 12 hour shifts and living 30 minutes away plus traffic and often not leaving on time for whatever reason leaves me having to put a really long skill. While this is ultimately productive, more often then not, I am having to put a skill on that has nothing to do with whatever I am trying to accomplish.

So my goal was to put EVE on a thumb drive and be able to log into EVE from work or school to update my training. After searching the forums and Google for possible solutions everything I read was either tricky to do or simply unreliable at best. more often than not, the suggestion entailed having to have some type of access as administrator to run the program.

Where to next? By chance I was reading a Computer magazine yesterday at the local book store and there was an article about Mojopac. Mojopac is a product unlike any other. It has been compared to Windows Virtual Machine but they really are two distinct and different programs with different purposes.

Mojopac installs to a thumb USB drive or portable USB harddrive, such as an IPOD for example, and runs an emulator program on XP machines. This emulator program is essentially another installation of XP but it uses the core install of an XP machine and its hardware as its slave. The developers explain it in video format on their website and a link will follow this text.

Main points of this include:

1. ITS FREE!!!!

2. IT LEAVES NO TRACE ON THE HOST PC. No registry files, no cache, not even internet history files.

3. You can install any program under you Mojo that does not access kernel file. Programs that do are often Antivirus programs and the like. This means you can take OFFICE, Photoshop, Teamspeak, EVE, EFT, EVE-Mon, CoD4, news group downloader, password programs, and anything else that does not access a kernel file.

Need some awesome and unlimited bandwidth? Use the bandwidth at work! LOL

4. You can hot swap between the host PC and your Mojo. So if the boss walks in... "uh, yeah I was just coming up with those numbers you asked for..."

On the website they tell you what drives are best, how to optimize the drives for performance and there is also a forum to help with programs and troubleshooting.

Okay So they explain it far better than I ever could. Check it out and Download the Freedom version which is FREE. mojopac.com

Things I have found during the Install of EVE-Online into my Mojo:

Use a portable USB HDD, NOT a USB thumb drive. The installation of EVE was extremely slow to install and run because the accessrate for a 2.0 USB flash drive is much slower than that of a HDD.

I installed it on my iPod Video and it works great.

You should burn the EVE Client to a DVD and run the install from the DVD. If you Downloaded the FanFest DVD, you should have the Premium client, but without the latest patches. Those patches should self install.

Because our work and school PCs are quite possibly the worst PCs on the planet as far as gaming is concerned, you should probably run the game in window mode at the lowest resolution and with the lowest graphics settings.

For me I will be running Mojo on many different PCs now and each have different hardware, so having the game set to the lowest settings will almost always be cool.

I also did not install the Premium version. I went with the Classic instead, simply because of the shitty hardware at work and the fact that I dont want to deal with those issues. After all this isn't to really play the game but to just log in and change over my skills when I need to.

So to surmise this:

1. Use a portable HDD. Whether its brand such as THESE

or an iPod with an HDD, it will work far faster than any flash device.

2. Install the client from a CD or DVD. This is because, in Mojo, your C: drive is now your USB HDD or flash device. I was not able to access anything other than the cd/dvd drive and any other USB port devices.

3. Set the graphics to the lowest window-mode resolution and settings to minimize lag in the game.

You should be good to go.

I never needed it and my work PCs are on major lock down. We cannot even change the time or screen resolution without calling the IT guys. I never needed any help or permission to run mojo.

Okay after some reading, it says admin access is needed for Mojopac Usher, which is a progrma that allows mojopac to run on computers that will not allow it, such as those that cannot access the drives. I know that Rockingham Memorial Hospital has one of the most strict PC setups in the area and mojopac runs very easily on it.

Definition of Usher:

"MojoPac Usher is an application that can be installed on host computers to enable MojoPac to run with a limited mode host login. This enables public access computing centers, such as university computer labs and internet kiosks, to make their locked-down PCs compatible with MojoPac.

In either mode the MojoPac encapsulated environment is isolated from the host, providing security and preventing data leakage."

My suggestion is to load Mojopac on to a cheap USB thumb drive and try it on the desired XP machine. If it works, you're golden. If not try a different machine. You are bound to find one with internet access that isnt as restricted. My guess is that you will not have much trouble finding one to use.

Also keep in mind that this is for XP only. I guess I could have stated that above, but it escaped me at the time. There is a Vista version in development. Hopefully they make a version that does both.

Edit: It seems that some of the computers at my work do not allow the use of mojopac while some do. The first three I tried worked, but they are in private offices at work. My suggestion is to try as many as possible to see which are the best for you.

Becaue of this revelation, I will continue looking for a way to make EVE portable.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~