Spartans Home

To cargo expand a retriever or not

Zeno~SPARTA~

I did a little spreadsheet comparing a retreiver without cargo expanders to one with them

I also threw in a hulk for good measure

User posted image

(Where it says hulk in the spreadsheet read Mackinaw)

This shows that it is better to not install the cargo expanders. I have the added benefit of being able to resist rats passively, by using the slots for defence instead of expanders.

I am working my way up to a Mackinaw

The cargo expander slows the ship down far to much to run it effectively. However, you happen to have an alt to run the ice for you, by all means run the expanded cargo hold. This is because that if you do not alternate at a 50% time rate, you will run out of cargo hold and your ice harv will shut off because your CH fills.

As always, if you have an alt toon, use it to haul for you. More time mining, means more money. If you dont have an Alt, Zeno's findings are the way to go.

Zeno> Nice job figuring this. I have wondered if the CHE slows the ship enough to not make it worth it, but have never done the math. Thanks.

My math doesnt include the loss of speed.

It takes 12 mins to do 2 mining cycles during which you recover 3 units of ice (since there is only room for 3)

If you jet can it and have a bestower or its equivalent the cargo expanders become irrelevent.

I guess its not very clear.

Sorry Zeno, I thought that the Expanded cargo hold module slowed the warp time as well at the impulse speed. It, for the record, does not affect warp speed.

The reason to use it when you have another character running ore, is that if the lasers are in sync with each other, the cargo hold will fill up and then the lasers will shut off. With the ECH, you wont fill the cargohold and you can move the ore without having to worry about the lasers shutting themselves off.

I have done jet canning without cargo expanders all I did to stop the laser turning off was to turn one on then wait 15 secs then turn the other on. This puts ice into the hold one unit at a time allowing me to flip it into the jet can.

I am training a second character to fly the bestower en route to a military career. Since 2 ice harvesters produce 2 units per 6 mins, mining non stop will produce 20 units an hour as opposed to the 12 I currently produce (16 assumes perfect runs all the time with no falling asleep at the switch which happens when I multitask)