Spartans Home

Not a simulation the real thing

Zeno~SPARTA~

This guy has a youtube channel vloging his flying, usually in a TBM 850. Here are 2 videos one of the 850 and one of a Cessna Grand Caravan.

This flight in the TBM 850 Socata is a full ATC flight showing all of the procedures and a serious storm, very interesting for me at least

This flight in the Caravan has limited control, so the pilots more or less control themselves. From about 14:30 check the amount of input needed to maintain controlled descent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuFLgfkTRlw

More on the TBM 850, watching these videos has helped me with my virtual TBM 850. I have come to appreciate this plane much more and it is now my favourite from my virtual collection. Very interesting procedures. This plane has a true airspeed of 320 knots at 31,000 feet, yet has a stall speed of around 70 knots. To achieve this it has very big flaps, but that reduces the size of the ailerons, so this plane has spoilerons to enhance aileron command authority, very interesting. Plus this plane has amazing avionics.

watching that first video... on his final approach while that does not look bad, Zeno is right... if you watch the amount of input he is putting into that aircraft that is a very nerve racking approach.

This type of rough air can be very dangerous as you know. The amount of input he is using that aircraft is easily "bouncing around" on it's approach slope a good 5 feet or so.

I have been in aircraft that have suddenly dropped 20 feet or so within a a few seconds due to wind sheer. You hear him note wind sheer as his airspeed suddenly increases. It is wind sheer that suddenly decreases your airspeed that kills you.

This is likely why they reversed the approach on him, the winds shifted radically as the storm went by.

As you can imagine, if the aircraft were to suddenly drop 20 feet at the wrong time during final you could slap the ground pretty hard. Doppler radars have greatly reduced pilots having to deal with severe wind sheer but it can still surprise everyone with a sudden appearance.

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

Also Zeno, if you like this aircraft... another aircraft that I am told is very fun to fly are the "Mooney Aircraft" models made through the years.

Most are fairly fast for what they are with good performance yet are a joy to fly according to those I know who have flown them.

As with anything though... the higher the performance, the less forgiving the aircraft usually is.

Thanks I'll try the Mooney. The TBM 850 is one of the fastest single engine turbo props going and yet it has a very low stall speed, these features are attractive to me as its fast enough to get around quickly but slow enough for me to land on shorter runways or gives me more leeway when I screw up the approach.

The beauty of watching this guy flying the TBM 850 is that I understand more of the systems, such as pressurization (which I had no idea how to use), Intertial seperator (I had no idea what it did). Also I learn communication protocols.

I will definitely check the Mooney in FSX (it comes as standard in the game).

I actually bought the virtual version of the Lancair Legacy (by Orbx)

8DB_gallery_10_lrg.jpg

Its is a USA made kit plane and one of the fastest piston engine planes.

Here are 2 videos of a pilot training on simulators, I dont know if this mandatory for a commercial licence, but its a god idea.

Here is the TBM simulator

and here is the Cessna caravan simulator, in this they hit him with a simulated elevator failure.

ah yes...

Another aircraft that is a lot of fun Zeno is called the "Globe Swift". http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20performance/globe%20swift.htm

This is an older aircraft that in many of it's configurations was certified to do moderate acrobatics.

It typically came with a Continental 125HP engine.

A friend of mine purchased one of these Globe Swift's that had crashed after running out of fuel and flying through the boundary fence short of the runway. He had essentially pancaked the aircraft fairly hard and then slid through a chain link fence.

We spent 12 months completely stripping the skin off the airframe, rebuilding, cutting out and installing new sections of structure, etc.... Instead of the Continental 125hp engine they come standard with, my friend purchased a

Lycoming 0-360 6 cylinder which it was also certified for. This engine is 180 HP.

That 180HP made this Globe Swift an amazing acrobat. My friend was a retired Air Force Colonel... He was a fighter pilot in the Korean War and again in the Vietnam War.

He then went into the SR-71 program during the Vietnam War. Therefore you could say he is an accomplished pilot.

After an initial solo checkout flight, landing and full inspection my friend took me up in this aircraft we rebuilt. As we climbed through 5000 feet he asked me if I would like to fly it.... this is when I made a critical error... :D

I said; "Hell no not yet, your the fighter pilot, I want to see what this thing will do"...

He looked at me and said; "Really? you want me to show you what this aircraft is capable of?" ... I of course said; "Absolutely". He smiled and said; "Well your going to have a headache, but sure lets go for it".

He smiled as he adjusted mixture controls, etc. and said... "Ok... hold on"

It was unnecessary for me to hold on to anything... he had me squashed in my seat barely able to move as he kept the aircraft at between 3 and 5 G's in maneuvers for what seemed like forever.

As I struggled to lift my arm (I could not)... he looked over and smiled at me asked how I was liking it. I replied this was amazing... so at around 7000 feet he did a hard wing over and then snapped it into

a steep barrel rolling dive. At the bottom of this dive (around 2000 feet) he pulled it up hard... I thought I was going to die.... he looked over and smiled saying; "there ya go, we are near max wing load at over 5.5G's"

I could not move.

He smiled saying; "Ok you look like you have had enough, good job not puking". We returned to the airport and landed.

... I had a headache from the G forces for 3 days.....

But it was the most fun I have ever had in an aircraft.... about 2 weeks later I then flew it with him.... I did not need anymore fighter pilot demonstrations :no:

oh wow that brings back memories of flying with Bush pilots in the Congo.... " Guess you have learned to like trees more than us concrete pilots" ... HAHAHAHAHAH :winner_first:

yes... I have always liked Flightchops. Great website... good guy.

I also liked flightchops observation about half way through when they did the second round of sandbar landings. He said something along the lines of; "I see you fly by feel, you're always looking out"

I found that true with most bush pilots... they were rarely looking at anything other than a periodic glance at airspeed... and sometimes never look at the instruments during approach.

When you are that skilled, I think you become part of the aircraft, you can feel what it needs as it needs it to accomplish your current vector.

There is no reason to look at the instruments...A skilled bush pilot can sit just above stall speed and never stall by feel... I have been in aircraft that did it going into very difficult landing strips.

They always amazed me when I went with them and this pilot he is with is a skilled bush pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

Building the Daher TBM. What I didnt realise was that TBM stands for Tarbes (the location in France) and Mooney. Mooney was purchased by the French in 1985. The TBM is in fact a Mooney design for a 6 seat pressurised piston aircraft (Mooney 301 1983), which was upgraded to a turbo prop.

haha... I did not realize Mooney had been purchased by the French...

During the same time period, Renault purchased Mack Truck also.

When I worked for Mack Truck (approx. 1991 thru 1995) I went to France once or twice per year to meet with my counterparts there in Renault.

About 3 years after I left, Renault sold Mack Truck to GM Volvo Trucks.

But wow... I am willing to bet a Mooney design with some TBM refinements is a very good aircraft.