Spartans Home

wow...... nice ride... nicer price... OUCH!

Zathrus~SPARTA~

1969-Chevrolet-Camaro_296940_low_res.jpg

$150K build that was completed in 2013
540 cubic inch Shafiroff Racing V8 / 715 horsepower
Borg Warner T56 6-speed manual transmission / Hydraulic clutch
Custom leather interior / Vintage Air conditioning / Nakamichi audio
Winner of multiple Super Chevy awards
Our sale includes restoration photos and the car's awards
Power rack-and-pinion steering / Wilwood disc brakes
Strange 9-inch rear axle / Limited-slip differential / 3.50 gears
TCI front suspension / Chassisworks rear suspension
18-inch Rushforth Rated-X wheels

Naturally, after its early 2013 launch from the restoration shop, the first thing this F1 did was hit the show circuit. He's a chronological list of the awards included with our sale:

Show Class Winner at the May, 2013 Super Chevy Show at Virginia Motorsports Park
Best of Camaro at the May, 2013 Super Chevy Show at Virginia Motorsports Park
Most Outstanding Modified at the May, 2013 Super Chevy Show at Virginia Motorsports Park
Show Class Winner at the October, 2013 Super Chevy Show at Rockingham Dragway
Best of Camaro at the October, 2013 Super Chevy Show at Rockingham Dragway
Most Outstanding Modified at the October, 2013 Super Chevy Show at Rockingham Dragway

Asking Price: $129,900.00 or there is a best offer option.

Believe it or not... this beauty is sitting on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-National-Award-Winning-Camaro-Pro-Touring-540-Dart-V8-715-HP-T56-6-Speed-PS-A-C-/221699176985?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339e4cfa19&item=221699176985&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

The really bad thing about this is... I remember when these were new in the show rooms! B)

Edited by Zathrus~SPARTA~

not to be out done by Chevrolet... Ford has one on ebay also!

1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302_250798_low_re

1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302_249736_low_re

1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302_249740_low_re

1970-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302_249758_low_re

0 1970 model year
T Built in Metuchen, New Jersey
02 Mustang Sportsroof
G 302 cubic inch, 4V Boss engine
38,675th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at Metuchen
11/69 Assembled in November of 1969
63B Mustang Sportsroof
K Ford #3340-A Bright Gold Metallic paint
EA Black Clarion Knit/Corinthian Vinyl bucket seats
S 3.50 Traction-Lok axle
5 4-speed, wide-ratio manual transmission
28 Louisville Ordering District

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT:

Rear deck spoiler
Chrome Magnum 500 wheels
F60x15 belted, raised white letter tires
Dcor Group
Console
AM 8-track stereo
4-speed, wide-ratio manual transmission
Traction-Lok differential

Asking Price: $119,900.00 or best offer

Again... available on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Documented-Award-Winning-Mustang-Boss-302-Shelby-Dual-Quad-4-Speed-/221692758409?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339deb0989&item=221692758409&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I have to admit however, this was one of my favorites and quite fun to drive

1969 Pontiac GTO GTO, JUDGE, RAM AIR,

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

34.jpg?web001lnw

Frame off restoration on a 43,000 original mile car

Real 554 code Judge

Complete #’s matching Motor, Transmission, and rear end

The 400 cid 366HP Ram Air III motor has been rebuilt from the bare block

The original 4 speed Muncie transmission has been totally gone thru

Body and paint show excellent; car was stripped to bare metal during restoration

Car was paint in the original Code 51 Liberty blue paint

All chrome and bright work were either reconditioned or replaced

Inside of the car shows excellent as well

Correct blue vinyl interior shows great, as does the dash and center console

All gauges are in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition

Additional options include-Power Steering, Power brakes, Hood tachometer, retractable headlights, console, rally gauges, and soft ray glass

Vehicle comes with full PHS documentation, and photo documentation of the build

Priced more reasonably at only $81,900.00 or best offer :cheers:

All of these old muscle cars bring back a lot of very good old memories.... and also some terrifying ones like my cousin in his 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo (special 454 H.O producing 396HP at the rear wheels) deciding to outrun a State Trooper who was in a big Dodge interceptor 440 police cruiser.... I remember telephone poles going by like a picket fence, looking over and seeing his speedometer buried and lying against the stop bar at 170 mph... that big dodge couldnt pull up, but my cousin couldn't pull away either... so my cousin lost him on a series of old country roads in the southern Indiana hills... he was using HP to force the car through every turn... it was a nail biter for about 40 minutes till he lost him completely...

.... I never let my cousin drive again after that night... :no:

yeah... most of them did not corner very well.. but if you were a good driver that did not matter because you could power slide the car through very sharp corners with the raw torque/HP at the rear wheels.

In spite of being carbs instead of injection they were very responsive particularly if they were equipped with 4 barrel carbs.

The second butterfly over the additional two barrels was for... insane mode. :allgood: but what most did not know was engines equipped with 4 barrel carbs got better fuel economy than engines with 2 barrel carbs because the each barrel in a 4 barrel was significantly smaller than the barrels in a 2 barrel carb for the same engine. Therefore, if you didn't hammer the throttle, only 2 of the smaller barrels were feeding the engine.

With a two barrel carb you always have both open and they are bigger to provide capacity for maximum HP. In the 4 barrel carb if you wanted maximum HP it opened the second set of barrels. This provided more air/fuel to the engine than a 2 barrel carb could provide because the 4 smaller barrels combined had a larger intake area than the 2 barrel.

So... for high performance cars, the 4 barrel carb, three 2 barrel carbs or two 4 barrel carbs were the win win win of the time. :thumbsup:

This is how those legendary muscle cars of 1965 thru 1972 (1967 thru 1970 were best model years in my opinion) were able to put such unbelievable amounts of HP and torque to the rear wheels.

Unfortunately, many of those cars were not as fast as they could have been because it was difficult in that time period to acquire tires capable of transmitting all that energy to the pavement.

Unless you went to full drag racing slick tires on dry pavement, you couldn't put it all to the pavement, as proof, many of the muscle cars of that era would break the rear tires loose and burn rubber in the first 3 gears on regular street tires.

My Cousin's 1970 SS Monte Carlo had a 454 HO engine in it producing 396 HP to the rear wheels through a special racing version of the legendary Turbo 400 automatic transmission.

From a standing stop, at WOT his car would burn rubber for about 60 feet down the road through first gear, it would hit second and burn rubber for another 50 feet or so... when it hit third gear (107 mph) it would bark the rear tires and throw you back in the seat again... that was an amazing car in all honesty. A true sleeper in that it was hard to recognize a regular one from the SS version.

fs_1970_Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo_SS_454_Oli1970 Chevrolet SS Monte Carlo

This is exactly what my cousin's car looked like. Does not look like a 200 mph car... but it actually was close to that. The speedometer buried against a post 5 tics past 165mph.... it would accelerate fairly hard beyond that for some time. This is the car my Cousin scared the shit out of me in by out running that state trooper in the big dodge interceptor.

SEPT102005_011.jpg1972 Dodge Polara 440 Interceptor

Yeah.... this is what he out ran... luckily this car although very fast (375 HP) had a lower top end speed than the Monte Carlo. In addition, once we were on country roads winding through the hills

the Monte Carlo seemed to have faster straight line acceleration.... did I mention I never let my cousin drive again after this particular evening? :rolleyes: I think I thought we were dead at least 5 times that evening.

He was an excellent driver as somehow he got the car through turns I was sure were going to kill us. To the officer's credit, he did actually keep up with us for quite awhile. I did try to encourage cousin to get into stock car racing as I could see he was in fact a talented driver, however he just couldn't come up with enough cash to build a car that would have been competitive. So... he got his kicks going out on Friday and Saturday nights driving his monte carlo.... looking for a police interceptor to piss off... then out running them.

He did it many times... only once with me, but in all those times (more than 20 times) they never caught him.

My Father's 1967 Chevy impala 2 dr hardtop with the special 327 (275 HP) in it was also similar in what it would do... except that 327 would wind up much faster than that big block 454.

That Impala surprised a lot of muscle cars.... it was much faster than it looked

chevroletimpala1967a-vi.jpg?400204This is exactly how my father's impala looked.

This car was available with the following engines:

(L30) 327 V8 275 bhp @ 4800 rpm, 355 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm.

(L35) 396 V8 325 bhp @ 4800 rpm, 410 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm.

(L36) 427 V8 390 bhp @ 5200 rpm, 460 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm.

(L72) 427 V8 425 bhp @ 5600 rpm, 460 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm.

I did drive one that was a sky blue color that had the L36 engine in it. That car was just scary powerful. :worshippy: I can't imagine the L72 in one haha

The 327, although lower in HP from the factory, was very easy to push over 325 HP. With how fast it rev'd, it was a significantly faster car than the big blocks most of the time on Friday nights...

GM liked to use a 350 small block with a shorter stroke crank for several of the later 327 engine variations and it was fairly bullet proof, easy to increase HP by just putting bigger carb and exhaust on it.

They came standard with the heavy duty turbo 400 transmission in them so it was already built to handle the increased HP.

Gms had the Rochester Quadrajet, Wicth was known to have the best fuel milage out of all the 4bbls, Mopar used Carter AFBs and later the carter themoquads, Ford had holley and later motorcrap. I mean craft. I rebuilt 100s of all those carbs back in the day.

That Monty must of had a 355 or 325 or 308 rear end ratio to out run that mopar must of had a dana60 373 rear.

Ya, ya, ya, blah blah blah. Start with a nice stock 0010 N block drop in a 520 288 cam, Steel crank a nice set of small chamber 202 hump back heads 10 to 1 compression, Duel 3" exhaust 2 4bbls on a tunnel ram, HEI ingnition clean spark to 10,000 rpm and that would run fairly well to due in anything in a stock production car in the U.S back in that day.

Anybody that knows engines will know what make it is buy the numbers.

You left out the LT1 best of the chevy small blocks

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

yes the mopars did have some issue with top end due to their preferred rear end gear.

But... if you think about it... that 1970 SS Monte Carlo was identical in drive train to most of the SS Chevelles that year.

Considering the 1970 SS 454 Chevelle is considered legendary in most circles, it is not surprising that monte carlo out ran that dodge interceptor.

The car was just scary fast with HP to spare.

As I mentioned, it would bark the rear tires when it hit third gear which occurred at 107mph at WOT. In a very short time after barking those rears the speedometer needle

would be lying against the stop bar at 170 mph. The thing that scared me most about that car, was the tires of the day were not designed to go over 140 mph and this car exceeded that

very easily and very quickly. If you just pulled up to 140mph, it had a lot of tach left on that engine.

I believe the rear was a 3.55 on that car. But the car acted like it had a rocket booster strapped to the back or something... it was just very fast.

Athlon, I really wish GM would bring back the high performance 327 engines.

The engine codes that were basically a 350 block with a shorter stroke had a lot of potential HP increase in them and most importantly they were bullet proof

When I worked for GM I heard that was the reason they discontinued the 327. It was lasting far too long for their liking. It was not uncommon for even a late 1960's 327 to make it to 200,000 miles.

Yes many times they were pull into the gas station to fill them with oil and check the gas at that late stage of life... but they would just keep running as long as you could keep oil in them.

GM did not like this at all... they felt it was contributing to fewer new cars being bought, because people were running cars longer with those engines in them.

I think Chrysler had the same problem with their original 318 engine. It tended to be too long lived for their liking as well.

Of course the slant 6 was legendary life wise also...

This is why I think we see few short stroke V8's and even fewer inline 4's and inline 6 cyl. engines. They are just too long lived for the manufacturers liking. They are too well balanced.

Can you imagine a 327 with sequential port injection, tuned intake manifold and electronic ignition??!! I think it would be an amazing engine that could easily produce more than 1hp per cubic inch in a reliable manner.

I am willing to bet it would be fairly easy to get 350HP out of one..... it would need 96 octane that is for sure... but I think it would do it fairly easily with today's ECM controls.

Ya they took the 327 as far as they could go with it, I believe it had small jernel crank, and were getting block failures over a certain H.P. That was the reason they came out with LT1 small block 350 , it had big jernel crank and a bigger bore and the block had a higher nickel content in the casting, hence the N block wicth could handle the higher horse power ratings. And had a 4" stroke and could wind out at a higher rpm then the big blocks. With 4 bolt main bearing caps-010 with steel crank made it the top dog of the day.

dam near had the same torque rateing as the big blocks but could turn way higher rpm and weighed a lot less then the big blocks did. They were bad ass in the day.

Now the LS1 is the bad boy in v8 class to be reconded with. But the 5.7 hemis and 392 hemis are really the bad boys on the block now days in stock config are hard to beat, They make a LS in 327 4.6L 305 hp injected or carburated had a injected one in my last GMC truck, ran good. But doesent hold a candle to the 5.7 hemi I have now 395 stock with no tune in it. can be reprogramed to 450 with out any really hard ware work.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I remember driving a friend's camaro... I think it was a 1969 or 1970.

It had a 327 in it that they told me was putting out 325 HP. After driving it, I did not doubt it was over 300HP.

From a standing stop and flooring it, it would burn rubber thru half of first gear then stop, then start burning rubber again for 10 to 20 feet when it hit second gear.

It was a very fast camaro... but he made the mistake of racing my cousin in his SS Monte Carlo.

The Camaro did pull him through first gear, but once that big block hit second it rocketed past the Camaro... he lost badly.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was only one car that ever gave my cousin in his monte carlo trouble in a race.

That was a 1970 440 GTX. That car was just very light for the amount of HP under the hood.

The only weakness the GTX had (I owned one in later years) is at about 120mph, that big squared off front end would try to lift off.

At 130mph the front end would be wandering around on top of the suspension travel.... very dangerous.

But, it was not meant for high speed, that car was specifically designed for 1/4 mile runs... and it did those very well.