Spartans Home

Laptop won't start up

Watchman~SPARTA~

We're planning on selling the wife's laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1720. Don't expect much for it but fired it up today to reformat, clean up etc.

Only it won't start. It hasn't been used for probably a year but when last used was fine and dandy. I appreciate the battery will be flat but it isn't firing up from the mains either. When I press the power button, the power indicator light flashes briefly but that's it, absolutely no sign of life anywhere else.

Any thoughts on the issue, which I am assuming is linked to it not being used for so long. It's currently been charging for the last 2 hours but that hasn't made any difference.

Thanks, Watchy

Edit: Could it be the cmos battery?

Edited by Watchman~SPARTA~

any multi meter skills to check the psu is giving enough juice?

tried taking out the battery and powering on?

it won't be the cmos battery.

do any other lights come on, caps lock indicator for example?

Edited by PANiC

looks pretty easy to get to some components

3RraPjt.jpg

i'd disconnect what i could [wifi, ram, cmos battery] and retry, even the hard drive although that would not really stop it from powering on but you never know, nothing to lose.

i have a dell power brick but it's different unfortunately so not worth sending. any Dell's at work?

Edited by PANiC

Got another powerbrick here, tried that already with no joy. The HD is new, well new to the laptop, replaced it about 3 months before last used. Happy to take it apart, anything obvious that you think I should start with or just disconnect as much as I can and add back in until I figure something out?