Spartans Home

Beware of the New Office 2013/365 Installation

I just bought the University version of Office 365 and I can't even install the damned thing because Microsoft, in all its wisdom and experience, decided to deny users the option of installing the program to a drive of their choice. I've searched for almost two days now, looked at support forums and even talked to tech support and have seen nothing but run-around answers and outright stupidity. My favorite from tech support was "Well, just move some stuff off your SSD and onto the other drive." Hello genius, if I had the option to create more space on my SSD, I would. Besides, I shouldn't have to do that crap.

Every program for at least 20yrs has given us the option of a custom install where we can choose where the program is installed and what parts we can leave out if we want. Hell, I want to ask for a refund but i've been given the run-around I don't even know how to do that lol.

I just bought the University version of Office 365 and I can't even install the damned thing because Microsoft, in all its wisdom and experience, decided to deny users the option of installing the program to a drive of their choice. I've searched for almost two days now, looked at support forums and even talked to tech support and have seen nothing but run-around answers and outright stupidity. My favorite from tech support was "Well, just move some stuff off your SSD and onto the other drive." Hello genius, if I had the option to create more space on my SSD, I would. Besides, I shouldn't have to do that crap.

Every program for at least 20yrs has given us the option of a custom install where we can choose where the program is installed and what parts we can leave out if we want. Hell, I want to ask for a refund but i've been given the run-around I don't even know how to do that lol.

That sucks. There's no custom install option?

If nothing else, if you can figure out where it installs to, make a junction from there to a spot on a secondary HDD (mklink /J), and it will act like you have it installed on your SSD while actually having the files stored on your HDD.

As far as I know:

Office 365 is not a desktop application suite, it is a cloud based online only service & link to your current office on your desktop.

Meaning that if you have office already (2007, 2010 etc) and it is installed on C: then the office 365 link system (called lync) will default to the current install).

If you have office (2007/2010) to C: then the office 365 application lync, will default to that.

If you have office installed to x: then office 365 lync will still default to c: as it's only a link app.

Office 365 is only a cloud based system, normally using your current office (updated) as a local client end.

If you don't have office on your current system then office 365 is only usable via the cloud & online connection.

Of course there are different variants of office 365 (pro) which will allow install of local client apps.

The first thing you have to understand about Office 365 is that it isn?t Office. In spite of the name, Office 365 isn?t a new version of Office at all. It?s a rebranding of server services Microsoft has offered for years, with a bit more sizzle and a different marketing slant (and presumably a much larger marketing budget).

https://windowssecrets.com/top-story/office-365-offers-value-but-its-not-office/

good luck Dave.

you can have Office 365 with no Office 2007/2010, but it will be cloud based & online connect only.

Office 365 is only a cloud link app, that in effect joins office (if installed) to the cloud).

I would not uninstall office.

If your short of space on C:

Save all your outlook pst. files

Backup all your personal data (outlook login etc) word docs from my documents etc.

Then uninstall office 2007 & reinstall to another drive like D: (office 2007/2010that is).

Then install the 365 link system (known as Office 365).

good luck.

Then uninstall office 2007 & reinstall to another drive like D: (office 2007/2010that is).

Then install the 365 link system (known as Office 365).

good luck.

Or, again, just make a junction from the current folder it's installed to (i.e. Program Files\Microsoft Office) to a folder on your HDD. Then you get the benefit of having Office installed on your D:\ or w/e drive without having to actually reinstall everything. This is especially useful when doing anything with Steam (i.e. migrating games, installing Steam on a different drive without having to redownload games, etc)

It will probably still write data to places like AppData, but it'll do that regardless.