Spartans Home

MULTIPLE ACCESS POINTS (AP) HOME

NoScream~SPARTA~

MULTIPLE ACCESS POINTS (AP) HOME

This assumes you have basic network knowledge. (ie. how to change your PC I.P. address etc)

660px-Acces_point.jpg

Just setup a second router on my network & was asked about 2 different systems to configure.

One where both routers are wired onto the same network & the other

where one router is wired & the second is wireless linked.

1. WIRED AP both with wireless capability.

If you want to extend your Wireless bubble

Firstly get 2 routers both with wifi.

A Network cable (cat5, 5e) to join them (up to 100m)

The login I.P of your main router. (this is the gateway for the second router if needed)

DHCP address pool start & end.

DNS I.P.'s from your provider, should be in the router pages.

1. Connect a PC directly to a LAN port on the wireless router with an Ethernet cable.

2. Reset the router to Factory default, normally while powered via a rest pin/ button.

3. Power on the wireless router/access point. Wait for it to complete booting.

4. Change your PC I.P. to static & make it in the range of the new routers default I.P. (like 192.168.1.5) your main router will be unplugged from your PC at this point as you are working with the new additional router.

4a.Access the router you need to directly connect it to your PC via the LAN port on the PC to the LAN port on the router.

5. Enter the default I.P. for the router (ref. to manuf. manual normally 192.168.1.1)

6. Log in normally with default user & pwd: user:admin password:password (might be different for some routers).

7. goto the LAN page & SWITCH OFF 'Use Router as DHCP Server'

7a.goto the LAN page in the router software & change the default (192.168.1.1) to an I.P. that is part of your local LAN but not in your main routers DHCP pool of addresses. Save ? apply.

7b. If you need to enter DNS addresses, get these from your first router, there should be 2, something like

192.168.4.50 & 192.168.8.50.

7c.If you need a gateway address, enter the I.P. of the main router, your first router, all data will route to it.

7d.SAVE / APPLY.

8. Power down the second router, Unplug it.

8a. Plug your original router cable back into your PC.

9. Change your PC I.P. back to Obtain.

10.Plug your second router onto your network, back of the first Router (on a spare LAN port).

11. Access your primary router to make sure it's o.k.

12. open a new web browser page & access your second router.

13. All's well if you can access both, then setup Wifi & security.

14. Make sure your DHCP pool of addresses (of your main router) does not inc. the second routers I.P.

15. Give all Wifi services a separate SSID name.

15a.Hard set (change) the wifi CHannel. from auto to a fixed CH. number & give each channel a different fixed number.

16. Enjoy.

------------------

repeat.png

2. Router Wifi to wifi bubble expansion.

You need 2 routers with twin wifi services, like 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz.

APs that support wireless repeating

You will be using the 5 GHz channel as a link channel.

TBC.

cheers i'm actually trying to do this this week. trying to run wireless down to my shed at the back of the garden to watch netflix when people are over. got a 100ft cat5 cable and a buffalo nfiniti 300mps router hopefully it will work with the cisco one ive got in the house. i have a pvc pipe running along down the wall for housing the mains' wire so im doin a nifty trick i read about and will see if it works for me. to get hoover/vacuum cleaner and suck a wad of polysterine tied to string to feed along the cat5 cable down the pipe.

i was also told if i ran more cables between both routers through the numbered rj45's that i would have more data transfer is that true?

Yep, I've got a wired network using two switches hooked up to my main modem/router, and I've extended the wireless network so that I get a damn strong signal at every single point in the house (which is useful as we have some wireless cameras installed). I've setup my HTPC DVR PC to act as the DVR for the camera system as well, and it also provides FTP services for my personal use. The main router is upstairs with the extender being downstairs. I also have both a FiOS network and Comcast network (wireless is on FiOS), but I will switch that over to just extend my FiOS network once we drop Comcast as an ISP.

I love my setup, it rocks.

P.S. - If you want a dirt cheap wireless range extender, you can buy this one.

Pro Tip: Download Wifi Analyzer on your Android/iOS phone, and use it to determine signal strength throughout your house. It's like a Geiger counter or EMF meter, but for Wifi. This will allow you to place the extender in the most optimal position to provide maximum coverage throughout your home.

Edited by MH6~SPARTA~